Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

were you?

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 5:12 PM
  • 15 Replies
were you homeschooled?
I was homeschooled most of my life....i went to a private school from 4th grade to 6th grade . All other years were homeschooling. I dont know how in the hell my mom did it but she did it lol!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 5:14 PM
I wasn't but love to hear from grownup kids who were! Did you like being homeschooled? Was it ever a choice for you? Any regrets?
Meena20
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 5:20 PM
I didn't like it but i didn't hate it either. It had its pros and cons. It was never a choice for me. My parents hate public schools and could not afford a private school until i was in 4th grade up to 6th grade then went back to home schooling cuz they cpuld no longer afford a private school. I do regret something but i dont know how to put it in words yet but i will answer your last question soon.
Pukalani79
by Kristin on Mar. 12, 2013 at 5:26 PM

No.  I only knew one person who was homeschooled growing up.  She just kind of disappeared one year.  I didnt' know anyone who homeschooled until we moved to the South when my son was 4

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 12, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I was homeschooled for about a year. I went to public schools and church schools before that and then went back to a small public school to graduate. We didn't know then that we could have homeschooled. I would have excelled if I had been homeschooled! I did more school in that one year than I did the next two years it took to graduate. I hated public school with a passion.  I know some people excell in the public eye when they are young but that was not me. lol  

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 5:36 PM
Sorry. I wasn't trying to butt into anything personal. You don't have to answer the last question! :). Are you homeschooling your own children now?

Quoting Meena20:

I didn't like it but i didn't hate it either. It had its pros and cons. It was never a choice for me. My parents hate public schools and could not afford a private school until i was in 4th grade up to 6th grade then went back to home schooling cuz they cpuld no longer afford a private school. I do regret something but i dont know how to put it in words yet but i will answer your last question soon.

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 12, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Not officialy! I got pregnent with my oldest when I was 15 & convinced my parents to withdraw me from public school & never went back. They didn't know about homeschooling or unschooling but looking back they unschooled me because anything I was interested in they would go out of their way to get for me. I learned more after I left school then I learned in school. I wanted to know things that before I thought where boring/uninteresting because the school forced me to learn it.   

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I was homeschooled from sixth grade until I graduated at 16 and went off to college.

I was tired of dealing with bullying from Kindergarten on in numerous schools in the area.  The middle school I would have had to attend in 6th grade had a very high student crime rate.  After watching my older brother come home with broken bones he received in the 6th grade from his fellow students I begged my mom for some alternate schooling option.

At the time we didn't know what homeschooling was and it was during our search for an affordable private school that we stumbled into somebody that suggested it as an option since we were struggling financially.

I am glad I was given the choice to homeschool, and I am even more grateful that I am able to give my children that same option.  Ironically my neighbor's childhood best friend was homeschooled and my neighbor has talked about how she had always wished she were homeschooled too.  My children's best friend (who is public schooled) wrote a paper recently as a school project about how homeschooling is far better than public school.  My children's friends' parents are both working and have stated they don't have the time or patience to homeschool, but they wished they did.  It's not an option for everybody, it definitely doesn't work for everybody, but it was an option we're lucky enough to have worked out for us.

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 6:42 PM
I was homeschooled from the beginning through 9th. I went to a very small private school from 10th till I graduated. I enjoyed it. The only thing I wish different was that we would have had more options and such.
Meena20
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 7:23 PM
No i do not homeschool my preschoolers. Honestly i dont think i will homeschool my kids just cuz i would not have the patience for it all.
I regret not doing my homework for the whole year of 9th grade cuz i had to catch up senior year and lucky a graduated on time lol!
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Mar. 13, 2013 at 1:37 PM

I was not homeschooled.  I went to private school until 5 th grade and then the rest was ps.  When I was a young mom with one baby I had a large circle of friends who homeschooled their children.  The whole idea was really fascinationg to me.  There were many other life events that led me to hs, but having those friends early on in motherhood made an impact on me.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)