Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Any suggestions for (grade 7) writing course?

Posted by   + Show Post

My son will be in grade 5 (10 yo) in Sept. and I am looking for a good writing course for him.  He will have completed the Excellence in Writing Student Intensive (Group A).  I have the option of now giving him the EIW Continuation Course, but it is very pricey.  He is ready for a Grade 7 level course.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Replies (11-19):
blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:17 PM

My girls don't like having to do work form the computer So this probably wouldn't work for us. At first I thought you could either use the DVD or buy the work book. But you have to buy the DVD and you can either print off the work sheets or buy the work book. I got it now!

Quoting Silverkitty:

The DvD is essiential that is where the lesson is.  You have someone else teaching the bulk of the lesson on dvd and then you have worksheets to do after the lesson is understood.

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting ablessedlife:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I am looking for a writing curriculum too. I looked at Essentials in Writing and it looks like it might work and it's only 20 bucks!

I think it's 40, isn't it? The student workbook is 20. If I get both, it's still cheaper than Excellence in Writing. That would have cost me 225! It is probably a course for two years, but that still comes to over 110 per year!
Oh I thought if you get just the work book it was 20, but if you wanted to print it off and have the DVD it was 40.

ablessedlife
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Quoting blueyedbaker:

Would your daughters like it more if they could watch it on the TV from the comfort of the couch?
blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Anything having to do with school work they like work sheets/work books. I tried to get my oldest to do an online class a few different times and she hated it. Which surprised me every time because she likes when she is read to. When we do Science and SS I read a paragraph and then she does. She gets more of the information when someone else reads. It must have been the voice or something. I know one of the programs was a cartoon and she did not like that.

Quoting ablessedlife:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Would your daughters like it more if they could watch it on the TV from the comfort of the couch?

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I can't teach my daughter writing as she got to the higher grades, so I was looking for a program that would teach it to her.  She doesn't like cartoonish programs either which is one reason why Teach ing Textbooks doesn't work for us.  The nice thing about this is it's an actual teacher teaching.  Look at the samples on the website.

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Anything having to do with school work they like work sheets/work books. I tried to get my oldest to do an online class a few different times and she hated it. Which surprised me every time because she likes when she is read to. When we do Science and SS I read a paragraph and then she does. She gets more of the information when someone else reads. It must have been the voice or something. I know one of the programs was a cartoon and she did not like that.

Quoting ablessedlife:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Thanks, I will check that site out.
Quoting Silverkitty:

I can't teach my daughter writing as she got to the higher grades, so I was looking for a program that would teach it to her.  She doesn't like cartoonish programs either which is one reason why Teach ing Textbooks doesn't work for us.  The nice thing about this is it's an actual teacher teaching.  Look at the samples on the website.

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting ablessedlife:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

lucsch
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Do you have to have the DVD instruction to teach writing? I'm doing one of the IEW themed books for my up and coming 5th grader. I'm doing the TWSS training DVDs (borrowed) now. The themed IEW programs are much more affordable. In fact, with the TWSS training, you could just use the techniques for any subject, such as history, and it wouldn't have to be a separate subject at all.

ablessedlife
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:01 PM
Quoting lucsch:

Do you have to have the DVD instruction to teach writing? I'm doing one of the IEW themed books for my up and coming 5th grader. I'm doing the TWSS training DVDs (borrowed) now. The themed IEW programs are much more affordable. In fact, with the TWSS training, you could just use the techniques for any subject, such as history, and it wouldn't have to be a separate subject at all.

That is a very good point. I even have that WWSS training course.
It just sounds like a whole lot more work than using the DVD. I have a fourth son starting Kindergarten next year, so I really need my older ones to do more things independently. I am so thankful that my 7yo is starting to read, so he will be able to do some things independently, too.
lucsch
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I understand! I'm not one who likes to have to plan too much. I like open and go! LOL!

If you ever want to sell your TSWW DVDS (and workbook?) I may be interested. I'm not sure how many times I will be able to renew it at our library (though I was THRILLED that they had it!).

Quoting ablessedlife:

Quoting lucsch:

It just sounds like a whole lot more work than using the DVD. I have a fourth son starting Kindergarten next year, so I really need my older ones to do more things independently. I am so thankful that my 7yo is starting to read, so he will be able to do some things independently, too.

ablessedlife
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I will probably keep it until I am sure that my youngest, who is 5, will not need it.  ( I am also in Canada, so shipping and payment could complicate things.)

Quoting lucsch:

I understand! I'm not one who likes to have to plan too much. I like open and go! LOL!

If you ever want to sell your TSWW DVDS (and workbook?) I may be interested. I'm not sure how many times I will be able to renew it at our library (though I was THRILLED that they had it!).

Quoting ablessedlife:

Quoting lucsch:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)