Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Any suggestions for (grade 7) writing course?

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:03 PM
  • 19 Replies

My son will be in grade 5 (10 yo) in Sept. and I am looking for a good writing course for him.  He will have completed the Excellence in Writing Student Intensive (Group A).  I have the option of now giving him the EIW Continuation Course, but it is very pricey.  He is ready for a Grade 7 level course.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ablessedlife
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Quoting RockEducation:

Essentials In Writing

Writing With Skill

Writing Strands

Time4Writing (online)

WriteShop

Saxon Grammar & Writing

Thank you!
I am looking at Essentials in Writing Grade 6 now. I have contacted them with some questions.
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I have found the people who do Essentials in Writing to be very helpful.  I'm using it next year for 7th.

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I am looking for a writing curriculum too. I looked at Essentials in Writing and it looks like it might work and it's only 20 bucks!

ablessedlife
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:42 PM
Quoting blueyedbaker:

I am looking for a writing curriculum too. I looked at Essentials in Writing and it looks like it might work and it's only 20 bucks!

I think it's 40, isn't it? The student workbook is 20. If I get both, it's still cheaper than Excellence in Writing. That would have cost me 225! It is probably a course for two years, but that still comes to over 110 per year!
blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:44 PM
Quoting ablessedlife:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I think it's 40, isn't it? The student workbook is 20. If I get both, it's still cheaper than Excellence in Writing. That would have cost me 225! It is probably a course for two years, but that still comes to over 110 per year!
Oh I thought if you get just the work book it was 20, but if you wanted to print it off and have the DVD it was 40.
ablessedlife
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:08 PM
Quoting RockEducation:

I checked the site again. It said the DVD & printable worksheets on CD-Rom are $40.00. The optional workbook is $20.00. (This is from the main site.)

I think it might be impossible to do the course with only the workbook. Be sure to check with them before you order.
ablessedlife
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:22 PM
Quoting Silverkitty:

I have found the people who do Essentials in Writing to be very helpful.  I'm using it next year for 7th.

I think it will be a good choice. It looks just like Excellence In Writing (which truly is excellent), but without the high price. And the teacher seems to have high qualifications.

He replied to my email saying that he always recommends that students be placed at grade level unless they have a learning disability. He mentions, though, that he "give(s) a strong, solid review
making it easy for students who struggle or are a little behind to succeed."

So this tells me that my advanced grade 5 son should be able to handle the Grade 6 course, right?
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I'd look over the scope and sequence for both 5th and 6th grade.  My daughter has grammar down, but not the writing parts and in 7th grade he just adds grammar to the end.

Quoting ablessedlife:

I think it will be a good choice. It looks just like Excellence In Writing (which truly is excellent), but without the high price. And the teacher seems to have high qualifications.

He replied to my email saying that he always recommends that students be placed at grade level unless they have a learning disability. He mentions, though, that he "give(s) a strong, solid review
making it easy for students who struggle or are a little behind to succeed."

So this tells me that my advanced grade 5 son should be able to handle the Grade 6 course, right?

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:16 AM

The DvD is essiential that is where the lesson is.  You have someone else teaching the bulk of the lesson on dvd and then you have worksheets to do after the lesson is understood.

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting ablessedlife:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Oh I thought if you get just the work book it was 20, but if you wanted to print it off and have the DVD it was 40.

ablessedlife
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Quoting Silverkitty:
I'll do that (look over the scope and sequence).

My understanding is that this course does not emphasize grammar that much. I think I got that off the website. I plan to supplement with Easy Grammar.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN