Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I know they aren't really homeschool..but wanted to see if anyone is enrolled in any. I am most likely doing one of the virtual academies...maybe the washington state one through k12,

How do you like it?

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Replies (11-20):
Latinamom99
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I use K12 though Cava ,, K12 is only a serivce that hlep connent to schools that offer Virtual Academies .. and K12 has many school that are great ..its free..

Also Connention Academy is good

I like this because they dont affer the bible class ,,, which I think kids should learn later in life ..

but thier are many with chirsten basics

And yes I have heard of the others homeschools too but you have to reserach which one is right for you and your child , remember that homeschool is working with your child and report everything and what area you are studying.. homeschool is not for very one , I start in Jan and it time come summing, the kids will go back to regualer  school becasue I plan to retrun to work, and yes I Have three kids  two who have IEP also so it alot of work .. make sure this is what your want to do in the long run , i have been to connection academy, alpha omega sites too ..  but am  single mom of three so I have to put food on the table frist and

my kids have to returm to school..

just reserach what your look for, if your married make sure to talk with your  hub becasue it also cost money for supplies, internet,, K12 give borrow computer if you need it .. good luck in your serach

lifesadream83
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:56 PM
One curriculum I would check out if you want to ensure state standards is Moving Beyond the Page. It's awesome but really do it and once you get a feel for it you can adapt we did. Most homeschool curriculum teach above and beyond what the state requires.

Quoting mommyofnoah208:

Thanks. Yes I am prepared to do all the teaching and supplementing. I think the main reason is that we want a little accountability and the idea of knowing that it is state standards and get us started.

Quoting lifesadream83:

I have not heard anything good about the K12 virtual academies. We purchased their curriculum for independent study our first year homeschooling. For us it was a flop. I think it's a great option when you are just getting started especially because they are free BUT don't expect the teacher to teach otherwise you will be frustrated you do the teaching. Also Don't do the optional lessons you will just frustrate yourself! I suggest you enroll with an open mind. During the year decide what you like and what you don't and adjust from there. No matter what you do the first year is always the hardest

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fruitful4him
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I homeschool my younger children but my teen wants to try k12 and she starts in a week. I think she may enjoy it since she is self motivated and older but I wouldn't take on all the hoops for my younger children or for a less motivated student. Just me though.

katinahat
by Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this

It is! Honestly, I look forward to starting "school" because it's going to be so much fun :)

Quoting kirbymom:

I have never heard of that, that sounds refreshing!  

Quoting katinahat:

We'll be using Laurel Springs School when we start my daughter's formal schooling in a few years :) I used Laurel Springs in 8th grade and absolutely loved it, so I plan on doing the same for my daughter. It moved at my pace, my instructors were very educated about the subjects, yet it had the flexibility of homeschooling-- I could wake up late one day or just take a day off if I needed to. 

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

kckmom3
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:31 AM

My son is enrolled in A BEKA's online streaming homeschool. He watches a teacher online and does his work along with the video class then I collect and grade his work and mail it in to them.( We chose the accredited program) They keep his records and will mail him a diploma when he finishes high school. I like that he is learning from experienced teachers and I can call the academic assistance line if he has trouble with any of the material. I like that I can follow the detailed video manual and it tells me exactly what work to collect and grade and what he is supposed to be doing in each subject ...this helps me keep him on track. One of the drawbacks is it's not customizable to the individual and also since it's so detailed it may be hard to have more than one child enrolled in the program. My second child will be enrolled in their K-5 here pretty soon so I shall see how it works with more than one kid. Also the cost may be another drawback. It cost us about 800$ for the whole year--which is still quite a bit cheaper than all the Christian schools around here that I went to as a kid.

jewel80
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:27 PM
I use k12 Georgia cyber academy and we love it, my son has aspergers ,adhd,spd,fine motor delay,speech delay. Imo it is homeschooling, i teach my son i have to get him to learn, yes he has a teacher but ultimately i teach him. I talked to his teacher and i have changed some things to tailor the program to him. They have been very helpful. You just need to speak up and advocate for your child but gca actually cares and listens unlike the local schools! You just need to figure out if you want help with homeschool and want to follow the school with learning or if you want to do it completely alone, remember there are still rules and tests and attendance that must be kept up with. Eeven if you unschool there are still things you need to fill out and tests that need to be done. Which ever way you choose just research it and make sure its the right fit for your family. Every child is different every child learns different . And justbbc some people have problems with a virtual academy doesnt mean you will! Its working well for us, but also just bc its working for us doesnt mean it will work for you. Also remember when you try a form of homeschooling you DONT HAVE TO COMMIT FOR THE WHOLE YEAR if you try something and it doesnt work try a different type of homeschooling. Just remember to keep up with state education laws. Good luck! Just try different ways of homeschooling something will be a good fit for your family :)
mommyofnoah208
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Thank you

Quoting jewel80:

I use k12 Georgia cyber academy and we love it, my son has aspergers ,adhd,spd,fine motor delay,speech delay. Imo it is homeschooling, i teach my son i have to get him to learn, yes he has a teacher but ultimately i teach him. I talked to his teacher and i have changed some things to tailor the program to him. They have been very helpful. You just need to speak up and advocate for your child but gca actually cares and listens unlike the local schools! You just need to figure out if you want help with homeschool and want to follow the school with learning or if you want to do it completely alone, remember there are still rules and tests and attendance that must be kept up with. Eeven if you unschool there are still things you need to fill out and tests that need to be done. Which ever way you choose just research it and make sure its the right fit for your family. Every child is different every child learns different . And justbbc some people have problems with a virtual academy doesnt mean you will! Its working well for us, but also just bc its working for us doesnt mean it will work for you. Also remember when you try a form of homeschooling you DONT HAVE TO COMMIT FOR THE WHOLE YEAR if you try something and it doesnt work try a different type of homeschooling. Just remember to keep up with state education laws. Good luck! Just try different ways of homeschooling something will be a good fit for your family :)
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:48 PM

I think when my oldest is in high school she might like something like this.

Quoting fruitful4him:

I homeschool my younger children but my teen wants to try k12 and she starts in a week. I think she may enjoy it since she is self motivated and older but I wouldn't take on all the hoops for my younger children or for a less motivated student. Just me though.

LoriAlane8
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

We have used the K12 curriclum since 2001 and love it. We were in WIVA and now live in CA and are in CAVA. My oldest is graduating this year and had no problems getting into the college she was hoping for and hopefully the Honors program. The curriclum works!

jewel80
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Im glad to hear that! So many parents on cafe mom are against k12 schools! Im for them i have my son in gca next year hopefully my daughter will be accepted! They have to do a lottery bc of all the people! Siblings are supposed to get priority so we shall see! I think a lot of parents dont realize the work you as a parent have to do! Its not easy with the little ones, the older they get the more independent they get but when you have a special needs kindergartener its work!! But its worth it!! Im happy with our choice!

Quoting LoriAlane8:

We have used the K12 curriclum since 2001 and love it. We were in WIVA and now live in CA and are in CAVA. My oldest is graduating this year and had no problems getting into the college she was hoping for and hopefully the Honors program. The curriclum works!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)