Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just curious...

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:50 PM
  • 7 Replies

Your child wakes up and says, "Mom please, I don't want to do any school work today!!!!!"  How do you respond?  :))

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:59 PM

I pull out teaching games.  They are learning, but don't have a clue.   Sometimes I do Lesson Plans That Motivate

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 4:04 PM

If it's a day where we need and should get work done and they haven't any logical reasons for not "wanting" to, then I will say, "tough part of life is realizing you have to do things that need to be done when you don't want to", and then we'll work on school that day.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 4:18 PM
2 moms liked this

Sweetie, there are so many things that some days I just don't want to do.  I hate making my meal plans some weeks.  When the temps drop below zero, I don't want to go to the barn and take care of the goats.  But, to get where we want to be in this life, we have to take steps every single day on that journey.  Right now your journey is a journey of learning.  So we are going to take those steps together today.  You can do this.

Then we get started on our day.

coala
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 5:46 PM

If they really look and act like they need a break then I let them have it.  If they don't look to overwhelemed and are acting ok, then I push them into the day.  I try to schedule a day "off" once a month.  This way we all get a day to recharge that isn't a weekend.

I remind them that their job is school.  It is a responsibility that they have and it is really important.  I also remind them of all the things that I don't want to do on a regular basis, but have to because I am "Mom".

RockEducation
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:10 PM

One of us has to be extremely stressed out for me to cancel school entirely. It does happen occasionally, but not on a regular basis.

JuicyRedTomato
by Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Well, I try to understand why they might be feeling that way. If it is a valid reason, then I will allow a day off. If not, we adjust the lessons so that it becomes "fun", not "school".

There has to be a balance between expectation and motivation...

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I say "It's a good thing we unschool then!"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)