Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

unschool

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:39 PM
  • 12 Replies
Does anyone do this? Can you explain it a little more to me please.....

I think it might be something my little two would like.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Unschooling focuses on the individual child's self initiative, needs and interests for education. Many think this method has no discipline or direction because the full fledged unschoolers often have no set bedtimes, no set lessons, and no set food rules. But the hard core unschooling parent points out they do make rules on the important things like safety.

They also say there is no such thing as a partial use of unschooling. Either you trust the child's natural tendency to learn or you don't. However others disagree, and I caution the reader not to be too quick to reject this method. It, in my opinion, can be incorporated in ones homeschool schedule, and be very beneficial to you and your child.

Unschooling (or at least a form of it) is particularly attractive to the NT parent, and beneficial to the Nt Child (ratrional personality). My little brother is what is referred to as the NT or "Rational Personality". He often ditched his elementary school classes. So one day the school principle followed him only to discover Billy was going to the local library to study subjects that interested him. You see the NT personality has an insensible appetite to learn, but is totally bored reviewing subjects that he has already grasped, or proving to others he has learned something he has already mastered. He considers it a total waste of time...one can be learning instead of wasting time in this manner. Note: Einstein was an NT. Allowing these children to direct their own learning (at least to some extent) helps to develop their unique gifts.

In this style of homeschooling, it is important to understand the child in depth, and to provide a variety of activities, and learning tools that interests him or her. Lagos or Barbie dolls can become learning tools. Just as my little brother chose his preferred method and subjects to learn, so does the unschooled child.

My Father was also an NT personality, and I learned more for him about analytical thinking than I did in any class room. So nurture the rational child, and allow him to contribute his unique gifts to your family.

The Unschooling Handbook : How to Use the Whole World As Your Child's Classroom

How To Home School The Pre-K Student

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM
2 moms liked this
Romacox has said it beautifully.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:57 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree with the others. Also, you can add a dose of unschooling into any homeschool curriculum.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 16, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Unschooling is a child's typical day of getting up and finding what interests them to start the learning process by exploring, playing testing and by doing so, they are in the throes of learning words, vocabulary, hand-eye co-ordination, and many other stimuli. Most parents are already unschoolers the moment their child(ren) are born and do not even realize this.  The only difference between then and now is the age appropriate adjustments made to keep teaching and advancing the child's intelligence as they grow and get bigger. And while they are growing and gaining more superior intelligence, so are we! The family learns together as the children grow up into adulthood. 

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this
This too is great!

Quoting kirbymom:

Unschooling is a child's typical day of getting up and finding what interests them to start the learning process by exploring, playing testing and by doing so, they are in the throes of learning words, vocabulary, hand-eye co-ordination, and many other stimuli. Most parents are already unschoolers the moment their child(ren) are born and do not even realize this.  The only difference between then and now is the age appropriate adjustments made to keep teaching and advancing the child's intelligence as they grow and get bigger. And while they are growing and gaining more superior intelligence, so are we! The family learns together as the children grow up into adulthood. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Thank you. I figure it is short, sweet and to the point. What do you think?  

Quoting usmom3:

This too is great!

Quoting kirbymom:

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it was perfect.

Quoting kirbymom:

Thank you. I figure it is short, sweet and to the point. What do you think?  

Quoting usmom3:

This too is great!

Quoting kirbymom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jakana2369
by Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you all SO very much for helping me understand this more.
momtomiles
by New Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:19 PM
How can this work if the kids have to take the state tests? How are they held accountable for learning each grade level's standards?
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 17, 2013 at 5:13 PM
How can this work if the kids have to take the state tests?
Not every state requires testing of homeschoolers , for those that do the parents have gotten creative with helping their children get the information with out forcing or restricting them.
How are they held accountable for learning each grade level's standards?
Again not every state requires homeschoolers show their information or what they do, for those that do have to they get creative with their wording & do a portfolio style presentation.

Quoting momtomiles:

How can this work if the kids have to take the state tests? How are they held accountable for learning each grade level's standards?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)