Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

If one more person says I need to socialize them I'm going to scream!

Posted by   + Show Post
I wish I had $1 for every time I have heard this.

Why do people act like I'm going to keep them locked up in the house? They have church and Sunday School, the YMCA and I'm going to join a homeschool group.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Replies (31-36):
amerslynn
by New Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:52 AM
Funny you mention this. I am strongly considering homeschooling next year and in talking with my sister tonight she mentioned something to this effect.

As I have thought about this this evening a few things have really struck me funny. First, her oldest daughter is very antisocial. She is a loaner who would neve talk to another person if she didn't have to. She does very well in school, yet no one has ever addressed her lack of social skills with my sister. Second, the only thing that my niece does outside outside of school is girl scouts every other week.

My dd is very social, she has many friends at school. My kids also are very involved in church, Awanas, dance and gymnastics, so they have many opportunities for social settings outside of school.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommynay2
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 7:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Some people think that kids can only socialize in school. They forget that most kids have outside lives other than just school. In school kids are discouraged to talk to anyone. One more thing my ds goes to a regular school and I homeschool my dd. We all went to the library my "unsocialized" dd went forward doing the game Just Dance 4 with girls she didn't even know. Whereas my ds didn't want to play with anyone. Since I started homeschooling my dd she has cone out of her shell.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

People complain that you can't possibly socialize enough when you home school then if they see you out too much then you are not doing enough school work. It's a no win situation. I just go about my business.  I know that we do enough to keep the kids around other kids and social situation. 

What's funny is that most parents of PS kids don't do anything else with them. They only go to school and home. So how is that "enough" socializing for them huh, how far is that? We, parents of HSers, have to go all these extra miles to make sure our kids get "socialized" while PS parents don't have to because their kids go to public school. They act like that just because their kids go to public school they get enough socializing and they don't have to do anything else with their kids. AND who says public school is the right kind of socializing!!!

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this
My kids are just like that. My oldest will sit back and observe while my youngest will try anything. But sometimes my youngest will see her sister acting shy and then act shy herself. They have always been like that. Since my oldest has been home schooled (3 years now) she has become more outgoing(she is actually playing softball this year). But people still will say she's shy because she's home schooled. It's usually people who don't know her very well or who didn't know her before she was home schooled.
Quoting Mommynay2:

Some people think that kids can only socialize in school. They forget that most kids have outside lives other than just school. In school kids are discouraged to talk to anyone. One more thing my ds goes to a regular school and I homeschool my dd. We all went to the library my "unsocialized" dd went forward doing the game Just Dance 4 with girls she didn't even know. Whereas my ds didn't want to play with anyone. Since I started homeschooling my dd she has cone out of her shell.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Awwww >>> Don't let some person, who really knows nothing about homeschooling, persuade you from your course/path towards homeschooling.  It was your instincts that put you on this path and you should trust those instincts. 99% of the time your instincts will be more correct than not.  And what you need help with or questions answered, someone in this group will be able to either help you themselves or steer you in the direction from which you can obtain help.  :)   But just don't let other people make decisions for you and be in control of any of your decisions about what you know to be the best course of action for you and your family. 

Quoting Amanda_Jo1209:

I just decided that I wanted to home-school and that is the FIRST thing the person says!!!! It is almost making me decide to NOT home-school. :'(

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this

How wonderful that your kids are singing at church!  And I know how you feel with making sure you don't squash anything that is budding in your children since it was something that was done with us.  It is a fine line to walk but I think if we do it right, we win in the end and have well rounded children in the end. 

Quoting debramommyof4:

It has been a real joy to watch them grow.  Right now they are both excited to be singing at church on Psalm Sunday.  I do not think they realize how big the church is and they both volunteered for solo parts.  But they each have thier own personality and it should be fun to see.  My 7 year old is alot like me, but in all the ways that drive me crazy.  I am ok with it though because she knows who she is and her self worth.  For that I will always be thankful.  That was taken from me at a young age and I try hard to be sure it is not squashed as much as possible.

Quoting kirbymom:

I have a few of those myself. I think I have just gotten used to them since I have so many kids to begin with. Each one  having their own personality that grows as they get older. I find them interesting to observe as the kids get older and their personalities deepen and even broaden. 

Quoting debramommyof4:

She is my hardest child for others to understand.  My 6 year old is the total opposite.  She can make a friend and loves being around all the other kids and loves classes.  She doesnt care if the work is to easy so I have to check and see what she is learning.  It is crazy the difference in thier personalities.  My 7 year old has always been like this.  I do not know how she became like this but it is part of who she is.

Quoting kirbymom:

My oldest was like that. She was always bored if she wasn't being intellectually challenged all the way through school time.

People have a difficult time understanding something if it wasn't something they either experienced themselves or knew someone who had different experiences. 

Quoting debramommyof4:

She expects me to teach her that when I see her every afternoon.  I think my biggest problem is that she doesnt understand why my dd doesnt want to go to school.  She hates being bored.  She does not understand kids her own age.  She was picking up bad habits and always in trouble. 

I tried to explain to my mom that my little girl told me that school was a place for parents to send thier children when they needed a break and that she only enjoyed helping the other kids because they did not understand what the teacher was talking about (she was in Kindergarten).  That is why we homeschool, not for 50 million other valid reasons other people homeschool.

Aww >>  You should ask your mom if she would prefer that her grandchild learn words not appropriate for her age or how to bully other children or how to not tolerate someone whom the rest of the class decides is not worhty enough to be tolerated. Ask your mom if she would prefer her grandaughter to just go with the flow or learn how to actually think of ideas and solutions on her own? 

Quoting debramommyof4:

Everytime I talk to my mom and explain that yes next year my 7 year old will still be home with me.  That she has no interest in going back to school.  I get the she needs to be in a classroom speach.  She has no social skills at all, none what so ever, but we still work on it daily and I can work with her and help her and a teacher can not do that.  They do not have enough time.   I explain this to her every year, and every year it is the same thing.  She does not have close friends but she tells me in her weekly class she has a few friends, she has a few at church.  Which is a huge improvement for this child who had no friends in public school other than the kids who I was friends with thier mom so she saw them everyday. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)