Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Survival Tips

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:42 PM
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this

INSTANT SURVIVAL TIP: Prepare your kids for disasters away from home

wildfires 3 INSTANT SURVIVAL TIP: Prepare your kids for disasters away from homeMy daughter loves living in Phoenix because there are virtually no natural disasters that threaten us and other than extreme heat and occasional thunderstorms, the weather is pretty cooperative, too.

However, in our travels around the country, I’ve realized the importance of teaching my kids what to do in emergencies they might not encounter here at home. More than once, on trips to Disneyland, I’ve wondered what we would do if an earthquake occurred while we were in the middle of “It’s a Small World”. Would my kids know where to find shelter from a tornado or basic winter weather survival even though those events never occur here in Phoenix?

They might encounter any number of different situations while away from home, whether at a school or church event, camping trip or a resort vacation.  Regardless of the most likely disasters in your area, do your kids know how to stay safe in these situations?

• A flood, including flashfloods
  • Earthquake and aftershocks
  • Tornado
  • A lightning storm
  • Hurricane
  • Ice storm
  • Blizzard
  • Heat wave
  • Wildfires
  • Dust storm, aka haboob
  • Tsunami
  • Avalanche

It would also be helpful as kids get older to learn the warning signs of any of these, so they have the chance to prepare, not just react.

Do some quick research online or in the appendix section of my book for survival tips that are easy to teach and easy to remember. A little education and a bit of planning goes a long way.

© 2013, thesurvivalmom. All rights reserved.

How many of you moms teach Survival tips and techniques?  

undefined

by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:56 PM
We have talked about stuff like that but never really studied it, I think it is something we need to learn more about in case of an emergency.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:24 AM
My boys are in Boy Scouts and Emergency Preparedness is a required merit badge. I happen to be a counselor for it.

I have never incorporated it into home school but we teach and discuss it in Scouts.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:30 AM
I need t get onto this! Kids did experience an earthquake, but they need to be prepared for any emergancy
Precious333
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Also to add, not just prepare them for natural disasters, but also for hings such as kidnappings or gettinf lost
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Don't feel too bad. I don't think this is a big concern for a lot of people.  I also agree that it is something that people should learn more about, now as opposed to later. 

Quoting usmom3:

We have talked about stuff like that but never really studied it, I think it is something we need to learn more about in case of an emergency.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Since your boys are already learning it in their boy scouts, you wouldn't need to teach it at home. I love that it is a merit badge that has to be earned though. That means that the kids are learning enough that it will stick with them down the road in life. 

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

My boys are in Boy Scouts and Emergency Preparedness is a required merit badge. I happen to be a counselor for it.

I have never incorporated it into home school but we teach and discuss it in Scouts.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Even just reading up on it is so helpful because kids retain information even when we don't think they are. :) 

Quoting Precious333:

I need t get onto this! Kids did experience an earthquake, but they need to be prepared for any emergancy

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

We've discussed many of them, but never studied them. My daughter will freak out over a thunderstorm for weeks if we talk about what to do in case of a tornado, so I may wait until they're a little older yet so I don't have to deal with panic with every storm...
Unfortunatly, hubby has gone to great lengths to teach the kids what to do in case of a zombie appocolypse...and of course they remember THOSE "lessons".... :/

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:01 PM

That is a very good idea. The more kids can be prepared for any eventuality, the better their response and capability to handle the unexpected. 

Quoting Precious333:

Also to add, not just prepare them for natural disasters, but also for hings such as kidnappings or gettinf lost

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

lol >  But of course! Daddy made it fun and interesting! Even if they find it yucky, it was interesting because of daddy.  That is always *a good thing* as Martha Stewart would say.  :)  

Quoting No_Difference:

We've discussed many of them, but never studied them. My daughter will freak out over a thunderstorm for weeks if we talk about what to do in case of a tornado, so I may wait until they're a little older yet so I don't have to deal with panic with every storm...
Unfortunatly, hubby has gone to great lengths to teach the kids what to do in case of a zombie appocolypse...and of course they remember THOSE "lessons".... :/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)