Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Spelling advice

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:58 PM
  • 10 Replies
How important is a spelling curriculum in your opinion? I'm torn on this. I really don't want to have one, but don't want them to become poor spellers like my husband and brother either. My 2nd grader (in a private school currently), has spelling every week and still spells everything wrong anyway lol so what's the point!!! I think I'd much rather combine it or deal with correcting spelling as it arises, but then again maybe we should do spelling to have the practice. What's your opinion? Especially if you have older children, I'd love to know if you think spelling in the younger grades is important. Thanks all!
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I, personally, think spelling is very important.  When reading anything, you will find that you will be able to pronounce words that you are not familiar with and you will also be able to understand what the meaning of the word is because your vocqbulary is extensive. The more your mind is stimulated with words, the more you can assimilate knowledge.  Of almost any type.  

QueenCreole313
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't have a formal spelling program. I am a great speller because I am an avid reader. Reading is very important in our homeschool. I think it teaches grammar, spelling and vocabulary.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bmw29
by Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I like Soaring with Spelling. It's pretty much hands off for the parent except tests and it's cheap, thorough and effective.

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this
To me spelling goes hand in hand with writing & reading you can't help but learn spelling when doing the other 2!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen2150
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:56 AM

spelling is important but it is also a natural by product of learning.    My sons have used legos to spell their words.  Every week they pick their own words and make one of them their command words.  They get to use their command word once per day.  They spell the word to their brother and he has  to do them a favor which does involve something I told them to do.  Bring me a glass of juice or jump on the trampoline with me.  Something simple  and not too long.  We also learn spelling by writing, typing and also reading.  Make spelling fun and they will learn so much more.  Make it fun and creative.  involve your children while thinking of things you can with spelling.  Good luck.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:21 AM
We like All About Spelling. Its well laid out and each multisensory lesson is only 15-20 min.
lucsch
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I have mixed feelings about it. My daughter seems to be a natural speller. I've tried different things, all of which were great for other people! I think you have to find something that works for you. We have found Christian Liberty Press' Building Spelling Skills works for us, because it teaches spelling rules, groups words by challenge and by interesting subject. It teaches vocabulary and roots, prefixes, and suffixes. So, while my daughter does not struggle with the spellings so much, she is still learning something.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:08 PM
We haven't used a formal spelling program as of yet. My son does not do well with pressure and he was really not doing well with weekly spelling lists.
So I backed off and tried a different approach. We have a list of words that we read off of daily, it is broken up into 8 word units. We just started at the beginning and I read them to him(one unit at a time) and he tries to spell them. If he gets any wrong then he writes it three times and tries again. Then the next day we start with the ones he missed. It is very unconventional but it is working. :)
I think Spelling is very very important. As well as a good foundation in reading and writing.
katinahat
by Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:00 PM

I think that it's incredibly important. I think that when people misspell words, they come across as unintelligent and it is difficult to take them seriously in a professional environment. Personally, I even find it difficult in an informal, personal environment. That said, I know that my initial impression is not always accurate and I try to have grace with people-- for instance, my husband did not pursue higher education and he makes spelling errors occasionally. But he is an analyst and deals heavily with math, computer systems, and programming, so he is very intelligent with his strengths in different areas. I try to keep that in mind when I see someone's writing and it is laden with misspelled words.

But back to the original question-- I will have a fairly rigorous spelling and vocabulary curriculum every year. Fun, but rigorous.

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

XeraRose
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:03 PM
It depends on how you do spelling. I think testing is a waste of time, but knowing the basic rules and word families, to me, is an extension of phonics. Once we covered those, we stopped "spelling" and moved on to vocabulary and dictionary/research skills. My 9 yr old is also an avid reader, and reading well above grade level, but oddly enough has mild dyslexia, and severe adhd. We were very systematic in our approach without a lot of drill or testing, and that seemed to work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)