Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anyone use Signing Time?

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:13 PM
  • 16 Replies

DD watches this on PBS sometimes but we aren't actively trying to teach her ASL right now. I would like to though, and I think this show is a great way to do it. Has anybody else used this with your children? Have you taught them ASL another way?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
arctophile
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:30 PM

My kids watch Signing Times when possible.  We are working on learning sign but not hard pushing it.  I actually have a whole 10 dvd series called Say It With Sign.  It's an older series but I love it.  I tried several different methods before falling in love with this series.  The couple both sign fluently so even just general conversation is signed.  And, my kids really seem to like it as well.  They have picked up a lot of words and actually ask to watch the videos.  You can buy the whole set on Amazon for about $300.  And, I was able to initially try it by checking it out at my local library.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:34 PM

My kids loved that.  My youngest didn't speak until she was 4 but she could sign a lot of the basics.  I wish we had kept that up

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:36 PM
I have a friend that is a certified instructor for ST & she dose 1 class a month free at the library to drum up business. All of her children know sign language.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:31 PM

We don't actively teach it for schoo, but the kids dabble with learning it on their own.  

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:58 PM
My younger two are learning ASL. We use the Come Sign With Me book,which is somewhat outdated,and Joy of Signing.

I watch it to build my vocabulary and then teach the kids but they both think it is too babyish (They are 9 and 12) for them to watch @@
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Oh yes, we love Signing Time! My oldest learned so much from that show. She had 100 signs within 3 months of starting them at 18 months old. I lost count when she had about 350 signs at 3 years old. We've only just started my 8 month old on them but she can sign MOM, DAD, MILK, and I think I caught MORE. We also just use sign in our daily life as I am nearly fluent.

I'm an instructor with Signing Time Academy because I love them so much and want to share with as many kids as I can!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:55 PM
My library won't let me do this. :( they won't even let me do a signing story time without mention of my classes.

Quoting usmom3:

I have a friend that is a certified instructor for ST & she dose 1 class a month free at the library to drum up business. All of her children know sign language.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 5:24 PM
My kids loved Signing Time (with Alex and Leah🎶....) lol

My son was born deaf in one ear. Knowing basic signs helped alleviate a lot of frustration!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 17, 2013 at 5:41 PM
She dose it as a volunteer thing the library doesn't pay her, it also helps that she is friends with the children's librarian that sets all the activity's & events up.

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

My library won't let me do this. :( they won't even let me do a signing story time without mention of my classes.

Quoting usmom3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 5:45 PM
I have never heard of the show (we don't have cable). I'm going to look into it now. Ds knows a few signs because I was teaching him.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN