Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you convince others...

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:32 PM
  • 38 Replies
1 mom liked this

...that you are qualifed to teach your own children or that they are qualified to teach their own children?

Did you see the post on the front page of CM yesterday? So many moms wrote that an electrical engineer would not be qualified to tutor a child and that only a certified teacher is qualifed!

As a person who has a BSEE, myself, I felt a bit disrespected by the ideas most of those moms seem to have about engineers. My goodness! They think we are all, one mom wrote in that thread, like Sheldon of The Big Bang Theory! Several stated that engineers cannot adequately explain anything to adults so therefore could not explain anything to children.

Now, I understand that moms tend to want to defend their own choices, but I found much antagony among the moms there towards homeschooling in general.

So, how do you combat this bias against homeschooling?

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I did see the post.  I actually responded early on to the post.  This morning I had over 50 likes and comments. LOL    Honestly I share my two cents and some will hear me and others will never be convinced.  I figure I will reach someone on the fence but I don't worry about those that are close minded.  I know I am doing a good job with my children.  Most people who meet me and my children are always impressed so I must be doing a good job.  I have  had public school teachers tell me how smart my children are.  I must be doing something right.  Honestly I have a ton of respect for most teachers.  There are a lot of great ones out there.  I also stress with people in person and online that I am not against teachers or schools in any way.  Homeschooling is not for everyone.  My best friend has been against homeschooling from the start. She has changed her mind as she has seen my children mature and get older.  I think the proof is in the pudding.  Concentrate on raising smart and independent children and people cannot help but be impressed.  

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this

You really have to decide if that person is saying the things they are saying because... they are just spouting off or because... they are just parroting what others have said or because... they just truly do not understand what homeschooling is about.  Other than that, you have to let your children speak for you. Let them show by their own admittance and their work and how they behave and how they interact and just how they are overall, in general. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't.  I'm actually qualified to teach in a classroom, but I have gotten to the point where I don't argue the point anymore.  I feel as though when I start telling people about my credentials it undermines the wonderful women who are doing an amazing job without a degree at all.  It helps that mst people who start that argument are online because most people who know me, know that I was a school teacher before children (BC, haha).  I've noticed that the women online don't think that a high school teacher is qualified to teach a middle schooler or elementary kid; a science teacher can't possibly teach math or english; and don't even suggest that a reading teacher can be qualified in all grade levels.  They are very arrogant in their "knowledge."  It's very sad, but I'm tired of wallowing in their ignorance.

Ohhh, that sounded s much more jaded than I thought!  Sorry

lucsch
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:03 PM

You make a great point (even if you feel you are a bit jaded!) that moms who are certified to teach in one area aren't in others. So, by the naysayer's reasoning, no mom can be qualified to teach her child from the beginning through high school.

I think I just got caught up in it all yesterday and by the end of the day I felt disrespected by the whole world, when really it was just a bunch of ignorant moms, probably those much younger than I am, spouting off.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I don't.  I'm actually qualified to teach in a classroom, but I have gotten to the point where I don't argue the point anymore.  I feel as though when I start telling people about my credentials it undermines the wonderful women who are doing an amazing job without a degree at all.  It helps that mst people who start that argument are online because most people who know me, know that I was a school teacher before children (BC, haha).  I've noticed that the women online don't think that a high school teacher is qualified to teach a middle schooler or elementary kid; a science teacher can't possibly teach math or english; and don't even suggest that a reading teacher can be qualified in all grade levels.  They are very arrogant in their "knowledge."  It's very sad, but I'm tired of wallowing in their ignorance.

Ohhh, that sounded s much more jaded than I thought!  Sorry

katinahat
by Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Lol I don't. I just tell them I have a degree, I've taught in the past, so there we go. I don't really care to explain myself much further. I could be dumb as a rock and I'd still have the legal right to homeschool my kid. So yeah, I just don't feel the need to justify myself there :)

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

lucsch
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

You are absolutely correct! My daughter always impresses everyone she meets. She has convinced my parents, who were initially against me homeschooling, that homeschooling is the best thing ever. LOL Thanks. I just needed someone to pick me up off the floor.

Quoting kirbymom:

You really have to decide if that person is saying the things they are saying because... they are just spouting off or because... they are just parroting what others have said or because... they just truly do not understand what homeschooling is about.  Other than that, you have to let your children speak for you. Let them show by their own admittance and their work and how they behave and how they interact and just how they are overall, in general. 

CrimsonRadiance
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:08 PM

I don't. It isn't anyone's business but my family's. So I really don't care what others have to say about it. I know what is best for our family, and will continue to do as we have been. *shrugs*

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I don't try.  My kids are doing their best, we see huge changes since removing them from public school and that's all that matters.  They are very active and are learning constantly. You will run yourself ragged trying to convince people to see things your way.  It's just not worth energy. :)

lucsch
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I am glad you posted on that thread to help defend us homeschoolers! I lost a little respect for some of the teachers posting on that thread. On one hand, I understand why they wouldn't like homeschooling; but, on the other hand, they don't have to be so mean about it.  I think the OP had a bit of trouble defending her POV without coming off as snooty, but then the people attacking her were not much better.

I see the "proof in the pudding" too.  I can't imagine not homeschooling. There are so many hidden benefits, like having a closer relationship with my daughter.  So many people have that school mentality and just cannot shake it. Not everyone could homeschool, but I think many that could are just blinded by what they think is "normal."

Quoting jen2150:

Yes, I did see the post.  I actually responded early on to the post.  This morning I had over 50 likes and comments. LOL    Honestly I share my two cents and some will hear me and others will never be convinced.  I figure I will reach someone on the fence but I don't worry about those that are close minded.  I know I am doing a good job with my children.  Most people who meet me and my children are always impressed so I must be doing a good job.  I have  had public school teachers tell me how smart my children are.  I must be doing something right.  Honestly I have a ton of respect for most teachers.  There are a lot of great ones out there.  I also stress with people in person and online that I am not against teachers or schools in any way.  Homeschooling is not for everyone.  My best friend has been against homeschooling from the start. She has changed her mind as she has seen my children mature and get older.  I think the proof is in the pudding.  Concentrate on raising smart and independent children and people cannot help but be impressed.  

RheaF
by Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:13 PM
This is how I feel as well. In the end, their opinions don't matter. Why let it bother you?

Quoting CrimsonRadiance:

I don't. It isn't anyone's business but my family's. So I really don't care what others have to say about it. I know what is best for our family, and will continue to do as we have been. *shrugs*

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)