Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What is going on in Science this week?

Posted by   + Show Post

What will you be up to in Science?

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:50 PM
Replies (11-15):
kttycat84
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Luci's been working in 5th grade science for awhile, but I finally crossed off the last 1st grade science 'requirement' for the state of CA last week...states of matter. We're going to take it really easy on science until fall. Now she's picking one animal to study in-depth each week in addition to doing a science experiment for the month. This week it's polar bears and an experiment to see if snails grow faster if they're fed different foods. We bought two snails the same size and put them in different containers. One is eating food from the pet store and the other gets grass, whatever green veggies we have, carrots, eggshells and a few bugs (kind of a natural habitat). Surprisingly the snail we're feeding the kitchen sink to has doubled in size in just a week and a half, so I think I know how the experiment is going to end :)

Kerseygeek
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:25 PM
This week we studied electricity & how circuits work.
ballerina.2006
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:52 PM

This month I'm in charge of our informal co-op. I'm teaching once a week (minus spring break) about matter. Our ages are 3-10.

This week we discussed and did experiements about physical vs chemical changes in matter with focus on solids and a little for liquid. I had playdough, made kool-aid, used candles, lit cardboard on fire, and ice cubes. The lesson was chalk full of info but I had a small turn out and it was a short lesson. So far this is one of the only months this school year where my kids constantly talk about the lesson during the week!

I can't wait to hear how much the other kiddos got out of the lesson!

lucsch
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Thomas Edison biography and some easy chemistry experiments. She is also reading about ocean creatures.

Jlee4249
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting kttycat84:

Luci's been working in 5th grade science for awhile, but I finally crossed off the last 1st grade science 'requirement' for the state of CA last week...states of matter. We're going to take it really easy on science until fall. Now she's picking one animal to study in-depth each week in addition to doing a science experiment for the month. This week it's polar bears and an experiment to see if snails grow faster if they're fed different foods. We bought two snails the same size and put them in different containers. One is eating food from the pet store and the other gets grass, whatever green veggies we have, carrots, eggshells and a few bugs (kind of a natural habitat). Surprisingly the snail we're feeding the kitchen sink to has doubled in size in just a week and a half, so I think I know how the experiment is going to end :)

they LOVE sliced zucchini! :)
For Kindergarten, we had a snail terrarium. We tested recorded positive/negative reactions to food and/or drinks (water, milk, juice, etc). It was interesting. Have fun!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)