Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Small vent

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:24 PM
  • 15 Replies
2 moms liked this

There is a private classical school here that offers a university model and allows homeschoolers to enroll for as many (or as few) classes as desired.

The kicker? Of course it's a protestant school that requires enrollees sign a very protestant statement of faith that I cannot (as a Catholic) sign. I poured over and over that SOF, but no matter how many times I read it, those few articles are still there and I just can't sign it *sigh*. I wish they would allow it - I obviously wouldn't enroll for certain classes (bible, history, science - for obvious reasons), but it would be nice to have the option for upper level math, logic, art, etc.

I completely respect their right to do so, I'm just a bit annoyed that there is no similar Catholic or secular option, lol.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:27 PM

That would be very frustrating!  I respect you for sticking to your faith though.  That can be tough to do in this world today.  

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:46 AM

I agree.  For many it would be very tempting to just sign it in order to take advantage of the classes.  Good for you!  I had to sign a statement of faith one time (not for homeschooling) that I did not completely agree with. I added comments to their statement in order to make it express my view before signing.  I wasn't sure they'd accept it, but they did.

Quoting irvinehiker:

That would be very frustrating!  I respect you for sticking to your faith though.  That can be tough to do in this world today.  

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:15 PM
To bad they couldn't just ask you to agree to be respectful of the religion & people with out making you sign something that goes against your own believes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rebeccasmly
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Here its the other way around. There's a Catholic school that does that but no other options. Once they turn 14 and are going into 9th grade, they can take dual credit classes at the local college.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rust.n.Gears
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Im glad you are sticking to your faith. I have the a similar issue here.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:31 PM

That's too bad, but I do support their right to do that.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:57 PM

But Catholic schools do not require a statement of faith - at least none that I've ever seen or had my children attend. So long as you agree and know that faith will be incorporated, and you pay the tuition/fees, you're good to go, lol.

Quoting rebeccasmly:

Here its the other way around. There's a Catholic school that does that but no other options. Once they turn 14 and are going into 9th grade, they can take dual credit classes at the local college.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:58 PM

As do I - completely.

Just wish there were a Catholic or secular school option that did the same, lol.

Quoting lucsch:

That's too bad, but I do support their right to do that.

rebeccasmly
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Ours requires that the family attends mass at least once a month. I do know the teachers have to sign a statement of faith even if they attend another church of a different denomination.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

But Catholic schools do not require a statement of faith - at least none that I've ever seen or had my children attend. So long as you agree and know that faith will be incorporated, and you pay the tuition/fees, you're good to go, lol.

Quoting rebeccasmly:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:34 PM

They're lighter on the teachers than our Catholic schools here; our teachers have to be practicing Catholics, no matter a statement of faith, to ensure that nothing is taught contrary to the church.

On that note, I've never heard of a catholic school requiring a student attend mass outside of school mass (during the school day). Our Catholic schools (here in SC, where I'm from in NC, my husband's hometown in PA, etc) take non-Catholics frequently (and because they are the only private schools in the area that do not require a SOF, they often have quite a mix of faiths, lol).

Quoting rebeccasmly:

Ours requires that the family attends mass at least once a month. I do know the teachers have to sign a statement of faith even if they attend another church of a different denomination.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting rebeccasmly:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)