Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

There is a private classical school here that offers a university model and allows homeschoolers to enroll for as many (or as few) classes as desired.

The kicker? Of course it's a protestant school that requires enrollees sign a very protestant statement of faith that I cannot (as a Catholic) sign. I poured over and over that SOF, but no matter how many times I read it, those few articles are still there and I just can't sign it *sigh*. I wish they would allow it - I obviously wouldn't enroll for certain classes (bible, history, science - for obvious reasons), but it would be nice to have the option for upper level math, logic, art, etc.

I completely respect their right to do so, I'm just a bit annoyed that there is no similar Catholic or secular option, lol.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Replies (11-15):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I am not catholic, but I understand where you are coming from. There are times where we have had to choose something similar and we didn't compromise either.  And I am glad that you stuck to your faith!  :) 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Is there a way you could talk to the Dean about *X*ing out certain faith things?

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I e-mailed the administrator. Thus far, the only response I've received is that I do have the sign the SOF. I'm going to ask if I can cross out several of the articles, and I'm also going to get across, in the e-mail, that I would never put her in a class, at the school, that I thought would put her in a position to "argue" against their beliefs (although, frankly, I can't and won't ask her not to speak up if she hears something slanderous, so I'm not sure how well this plan would work...).

Quoting mem82:

Is there a way you could talk to the Dean about *X*ing out certain faith things?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

rebeccasmly
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:38 PM
I would have had my kids there instead if it wasn't for mass. I had attended mass several times before but we're really active in our church and I teach each Sunday so that would have been hard. one of pastor's children go there. His wife goes to mass with them and he attends our church. It works for them but we decided to home school instead which is probably better for us overall anyway. We also have a lady at our church who is a teacher there. She loves it and attends mass there when needed. I did find out later on that we could have gotten around it by volunteering at the school so many hours a month but by then we were already home schooling and knew that's what we were suppose to be doing instead.
Quoting AutymsMommy:

They're lighter on the teachers than our Catholic schools here; our teachers have to be practicing Catholics, no matter a statement of faith, to ensure that nothing is taught contrary to the church.

On that note, I've never heard of a catholic school requiring a student attend mass outside of school mass (during the school day). Our Catholic schools (here in SC, where I'm from in NC, my husband's hometown in PA, etc) take non-Catholics frequently (and because they are the only private schools in the area that do not require a SOF, they often have quite a mix of faiths, lol).

Quoting rebeccasmly:

Ours requires that the family attends mass at least once a month. I do know the teachers have to sign a statement of faith even if they attend another church of a different denomination.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

But Catholic schools do not require a statement of faith - at least none that I've ever seen or had my children attend. So long as you agree and know that faith will be incorporated, and you pay the tuition/fees, you're good to go, lol.

Quoting rebeccasmly:

Here its the other way around. There's a Catholic school that does that but no other options. Once they turn 14 and are going into 9th grade, they can take dual credit classes at the local college.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Yes, all of our schools here (Catholic ones anyway) require either a certain number of volunteer hours from the parents, at the school, or an extra fee, so they can keep costs low.

Quoting rebeccasmly:

I would have had my kids there instead if it wasn't for mass. I had attended mass several times before but we're really active in our church and I teach each Sunday so that would have been hard. one of pastor's children go there. His wife goes to mass with them and he attends our church. It works for them but we decided to home school instead which is probably better for us overall anyway. We also have a lady at our church who is a teacher there. She loves it and attends mass there when needed. I did find out later on that we could have gotten around it by volunteering at the school so many hours a month but by then we were already home schooling and knew that's what we were suppose to be doing instead.
Quoting AutymsMommy:

They're lighter on the teachers than our Catholic schools here; our teachers have to be practicing Catholics, no matter a statement of faith, to ensure that nothing is taught contrary to the church.

On that note, I've never heard of a catholic school requiring a student attend mass outside of school mass (during the school day). Our Catholic schools (here in SC, where I'm from in NC, my husband's hometown in PA, etc) take non-Catholics frequently (and because they are the only private schools in the area that do not require a SOF, they often have quite a mix of faiths, lol).

Quoting rebeccasmly:

Ours requires that the family attends mass at least once a month. I do know the teachers have to sign a statement of faith even if they attend another church of a different denomination.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

But Catholic schools do not require a statement of faith - at least none that I've ever seen or had my children attend. So long as you agree and know that faith will be incorporated, and you pay the tuition/fees, you're good to go, lol.

Quoting rebeccasmly:

Here its the other way around. There's a Catholic school that does that but no other options. Once they turn 14 and are going into 9th grade, they can take dual credit classes at the local college.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)