Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Struggling in Math...

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:02 AM
  • 31 Replies
Please help. My 10 year old is struggling in Math. She is having a hard time with multiplying. We are doing long division now and she actually forgot how to carry when subtracting! She gets fractions and percents just fine but when it comes to muliplying she struggles and cries because she can't remember the facts. Any suggestions on how to help her.
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

my only advice is... remember that math is a foundation course.  If they don't have something it is best to go back and cover that topic again.  However if she has the concept, it's okay to just to practice a bit each day such as using warmup time to practice the most difficult fact families.  If she struggles with the 7's or the 8's just practice those facts at the beginning of everyday. 

With the carrying in subtracting, she may just be more focused on the division and missing that step.  That is normal an only practice will make it go away.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:29 AM
I agree....maybe do a review week.or two before moving on.
Has she memorized her multiplications?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:30 AM
.....and make it fun! Maybe play jeopardy or some sort of game after she has gone iver whatse forgot.
lucsch
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:58 AM

What do you use for math?

Our curriculum includes speed drills on all the facts that need to be memorized. It also continually reviews all concepts taught, which works well for my daughter (for some kids it doesn't). I think that has helped her the most. We haven't done flash cards much, and she seems to know her facts pretty well, though sometimes I catch her doing skip counting (also taught in the curriculum) and counting on her fingers (not taught and not encouraged by me, either) to help her "remember" them. That really shows up in the speed drills, so I catch her doing it. LOL

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Play lots of math games!

Math war,yahtzee, dice games.

Online games: timez attack, math blaster, etc. There are iPad/tablet apps as well.
blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:03 PM
I do not like math at all and am not very good at it. My husband is very good at math so I think I am going to see if he can help her out now. Maybe he can explain it different so she can understand it and get it. She is slowly getting the multiplying facts but it is taking so much time and I'm afraid to move on to anything new because she forgets even when we do go over it the next week. It's very frustrating! I feel like I'm failing her!!
Quoting bluerooffarm:

my only advice is... remember that math is a foundation course.  If they don't have something it is best to go back and cover that topic again.  However if she has the concept, it's okay to just to practice a bit each day such as using warmup time to practice the most difficult fact families.  If she struggles with the 7's or the 8's just practice those facts at the beginning of everyday. 

With the carrying in subtracting, she may just be more focused on the division and missing that step.  That is normal an only practice will make it go away.

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:06 PM
No she has not memorized the multiplication facts yet. She knows some of them. She used to be so good at math but it's gone down hill every year.
Quoting Precious333:

I agree....maybe do a review week.or two before moving on.
Has she memorized her multiplications?
blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:09 PM
We use Houghton Mifflin Math. She uses her fingers a lot or tally marks on paper.I know I have to find something different for her.
Quoting lucsch:

What do you use for math?

Our curriculum includes speed drills on all the facts that need to be memorized. It also continually reviews all concepts taught, which works well for my daughter (for some kids it doesn't). I think that has helped her the most. We haven't done flash cards much, and she seems to know her facts pretty well, though sometimes I catch her doing skip counting (also taught in the curriculum) and counting on her fingers (not taught and not encouraged by me, either) to help her "remember" them. That really shows up in the speed drills, so I catch her doing it. LOL

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Thank you. I'm not sure if she will try something online but that may work now, last year she would not try an online curriculum. It might work for her now, at least it will be something different, I just need something that clicks with her to help her retain what she has learned.
Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Play lots of math games!

Math war,yahtzee, dice games.

Online games: timez attack, math blaster, etc. There are iPad/tablet apps as well.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:13 PM
3 moms liked this

First of all you are.not.failing.her.  public school/private school/homeschool, we ALL hit those little things that we need to slow down and cover more than once.  In math these are often multiplication, division, fractions, percentages, and time!  You have this.  It's so easy to get down on ourselves or to doubt ourselves because we are doing something outside of the "norm" but you can see your struggle and you are rethinking your process.  That is HUGE!  You will try new things until you get her to "get" it!

At some point you will reach something hat she can just breeze through (shapes or place value or anything else) and you will make up for the time that you need to take right now so that she fully understands this topic.  She willbuld from this every year, so it is totally worth it to take the time to understand it!

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I do not like math at all and am not very good at it. My husband is very good at math so I think I am going to see if he can help her out now. Maybe he can explain it different so she can understand it and get it. She is slowly getting the multiplying facts but it is taking so much time and I'm afraid to move on to anything new because she forgets even when we do go over it the next week. It's very frustrating! I feel like I'm failing her!!
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)