Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Please help. My 10 year old is struggling in Math. She is having a hard time with multiplying. We are doing long division now and she actually forgot how to carry when subtracting! She gets fractions and percents just fine but when it comes to muliplying she struggles and cries because she can't remember the facts. Any suggestions on how to help her.
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Replies (21-30):
blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I'm going to check the site out now, I'll try anything!! Thanks

Quoting jen2150:

Here is a great math game that I just found. http://www.amazon.com/Think-Fun-1510-Math-Dice/dp/B0007LYKX0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1363645556&sr=8-5&keywords=math+game Maybe focus on one fact throughout the day and keep quizzing each other. Have her quiz you. She will learn a lot by hearing you answer the problems.
Quoting blueyedbaker:

Thank you for the ideas. I guess I'm a little worried about the stuff that we aren't doing because we are spending so much time going over and over the multiplication. She has to take the state test in the Spring and I get worried she won't do well on that.
Quoting jen2150:

Math is not about memorizing or even carrying your numbers.  It is all about logic.  I suggest learning to play chess and do some logic puzzles.  I also recommend reading the life of Fred.  Look for ways to make connections with your everyday life and math.  Also remember people work on math in different ways as their brains develop.  She doesn't need to do math by a certain age.  When you are surrounded by numbers you will naturally think mathematically.  I would look for creative ways to work on Math.  Also encourage her to play with math and think through problems in her head.  I would just concentrate on trying different math games, logic puzzles, and looking for ways to apply math.  Keep working on practicing.  Make it pressure free and she will get it eventually.  I would give her a multiplication chart and tell her not to worry about knowing them by heart yet.  Just encourage her to keep practicing with the chart and she will learn them as works with them.  Good luck.  Remember kids learn best through play and games.

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you! I'm going to check out the Math U See, and see if it'll work. Like I said in the other posts I will try anything!
Quoting pmcrittersmom:

First bravo on paying such close attention.  Second, you will be able to help her through this.  Then she will breeze through something else.  

We have two math products we love.  We started with Math u see, but found all of the repatative worksheets boring.  We do like the use of their colored blocks to help with math, though.  Also, they have a fun cd that has kids singing the multiplication facts.  My daughters love to sing  and dance to it.

We switched to the  Horizons Math.  Their workbooks are colorful and fun looking.  In one lesson you cover lots of different types of math (adding, sub., mult, measuring, a taste of algebra, geometry) thats just a sample of what we did this week.

My eldest struggled with adding while I told her to memorize it.  Once, I relaxed and changed our cirriculumn she loved math and chooses it first....also, she finally did get good at adding.

Good luck and you've got this!!

Koltie6
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:24 AM
We use teaching textbooks for math. My son loves it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:58 PM

lol >> I had this one too. IN fact, he is way better now. When I give him english sentences usin nouns, verbs and adjectives and so  forth, he will not only write the individual sentences, but will write them in consecutive order in theme style, where each sentence immediately following, to the end, tells a story. 

Right now I have one that is just not wanting to click with anything and I know for a fact the they are as smart as a whip! grrrr!  But, as with the other kids, this one will pull out of this phase they are in. I just wish it wouls happen sooner rather than later. :)  

Quoting blueyedbaker:

This makes me feel so much better that other people are goin through this and that it's not just me!! She does so well in all her other subjects. Writing could use a little work only because she finds it sooo boring and hates to add detail but she can be such a great writer when she puts her mind to it.
Quoting kirbymom:

@ blueyed >>> This is what I would suggest. Do some review everyday along with her regualar work.  Do the same thing with the rest of her work. Do a little review of something that you just covered and put in with the rest of her work. She will get it again. Sometimes, these things are just a phase. It is tough to have to go through something like this but at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  For you and for your daughter.  I had this happen with 3 of my kids. One of them took about 3 years before it finally clicked with them but now, it is like there was never a problem to beging with. Gah!  lol   

Quoting mem82:

I would do a Math review everyday and then do your normal Math. They will eventually come to her quickly. I had to go back and do that with my oldest. She is in 6th grade and will forget basic Math facts if she doesn't use them in a week. Makes me bonkers.

@ mem >>  Good job.  :) 

Mommynay2
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:08 PM
Hi my dd is also struggling with math, she's 10 years old also. She just got an assessment from the school department and her math was off. The woman who tested her gave me some websites to help. Oh and my dd is in the 4th grade.
Www.ixl.com/math/grade-4
Www.learninggamesforkids.com/4th-grade-math.html
www.mathblaster.com/parents/math-games/4th-grade-math-games
tutoring.sylvanlearning.com/newsletter//0704/math
www.abcya.com/fourth_grade_computers.htm

I haven't tried these yet she just came over and gave me the list. Good luck to you all.
blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Thanks for the suggestions I will definitely check them out. I can use all the help that is offered!

I did buy the Math Mammoth though. I am just starting over with the multiplication and still doing the other areas in math that she knows.

Quoting Mommynay2:

Hi my dd is also struggling with math, she's 10 years old also. She just got an assessment from the school department and her math was off. The woman who tested her gave me some websites to help. Oh and my dd is in the 4th grade.
Www.ixl.com/math/grade-4
Www.learninggamesforkids.com/4th-grade-math.html
www.mathblaster.com/parents/math-games/4th-grade-math-games
tutoring.sylvanlearning.com/newsletter//0704/math
www.abcya.com/fourth_grade_computers.htm

I haven't tried these yet she just came over and gave me the list. Good luck to you all.

TxMommyOfBoys
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:59 PM
We love love love life of fred. It turned my math hater into a kid who begs for math!
bether89
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:30 PM

We do math facts everyday to help build speed and memorize them.

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I've looked at that but I can't get over the price!

Quoting TxMommyOfBoys:

We love love love life of fred. It turned my math hater into a kid who begs for math!

TxMommyOfBoys
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:17 PM
I got it for $5 a book off craigslist! Apple-ice cream

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I've looked at that but I can't get over the price!

Quoting TxMommyOfBoys:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)