Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling and house keeping..do you feel the pressure?

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:04 PM
  • 15 Replies
Just curious if anyone else feels that as homeschoolers that you are doubly responsible for the state of your house?
Meaning...I personally feel (because we homeschool) that the state (cleanliness, organization etc.) Of my house matters more compared to a family that doesn't homeschool. Not to say that a clean/organised house isn't a good thing for public school families. Or all families really. I mean that I feel that my family is under more scrutiny by the outside world because we do homeschool.

Does that make sense?
Does anyone else feel this way?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:20 PM
4 moms liked this

I'm not sure how much homeschooling makes me feel that way, but the fact that I'm a SAHM makes me feel like that.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, you are more right than not. But only because we are not following the "norm".  If we were just going along with the flow then no one would notice but since we aren't, everything we do is under a microscope because most times, someone is looking for a huge mistake to be made so that they can point a finger and judge and cause you to have to go along with the flow just like everybody else.   

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Not because I homeschool but I do feel exteme presure to have a clean house.  I have 4 children 7 and under, and my 4 year old niece on a daily basis.  Mornings we do school and during nap time  I clean and after nap and outdoor play the kids and I do chores.  Then when they go to bed I clean. 

My house is still a disaster.  I always have 2 sinks full of dishes (even though I work on them 4 to 5 times a day).  I always have a closet overflowing with dirty clothes, though I wash clothes constently.  My house is always cluttered and has food on the floor, though the dog eats it and I am always vaccuuming.  I have about a billion things I need to do and never enough time to do it.  My husband helps some, the kids do their chores every once in awhile.  Nothing I do motivates them. 

So I am responsible for 7 peoples mess and have very little help.  I dont know about you guys but I am drowning.  If I put them in public school it would be less messy but both myself and my kids would be unhappy and my 7 year old would always be in trouble for misbehaving at school.  I do not like that idea.  Though next year I will be down a child because my 6 year old has decided to go to public school next year.  I would be down 2 as my son should go to preschool but he still poops himself.  I like preschool because it is fun based.  But am not impressed with regular public school.  So we will see how long my 6 year old stays in school.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Not really.  I have learned a long time ago a little pressure keeps my water flowing and a lot of pressure makes me blow my top.  I have learned to make prioroties and not to worry about those things I don't get to.  Either someone approves of homeschooling or they don't.  The state of my house is not going to change their minds.  If they are looking for fault they will find it one way or another.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:38 PM

*HUGS* As someone with a large family, too, my I offer a few suggestions.

1. Laundry- For the older kids, give them each 6 shirts, 4 pants and then a church outfit and pack up the rest. If they don't have the clothes, there won't be as much to pile around. (I had to do this!)

2. For the older two and your niece, if they don't wash their plate, they don't get to eat. Same with their cup. It sounds really harsh but it will get your point across. They are old enough to rinse and dry. Label or color code a cup and that is everyone's cup for the day. Don't let them keep getting more of them down. (My kids will use 20 cups between the 4 of them if I let them. GRRR)

3. Give everyone a bin for their school stuff. It is easy to pile things in and then stack. 8)

Quoting debramommyof4:

Not because I homeschool but I do feel exteme presure to have a clean house.  I have 4 children 7 and under, and my 4 year old niece on a daily basis.  Mornings we do school and during nap time  I clean and after nap and outdoor play the kids and I do chores.  Then when they go to bed I clean. 

My house is still a disaster.  I always have 2 sinks full of dishes (even though I work on them 4 to 5 times a day).  I always have a closet overflowing with dirty clothes, though I wash clothes constently.  My house is always cluttered and has food on the floor, though the dog eats it and I am always vaccuuming.  I have about a billion things I need to do and never enough time to do it.  My husband helps some, the kids do their chores every once in awhile.  Nothing I do motivates them. 

So I am responsible for 7 peoples mess and have very little help.  I dont know about you guys but I am drowning.  If I put them in public school it would be less messy but both myself and my kids would be unhappy and my 7 year old would always be in trouble for misbehaving at school.  I do not like that idea.  Though next year I will be down a child because my 6 year old has decided to go to public school next year.  I would be down 2 as my son should go to preschool but he still poops himself.  I like preschool because it is fun based.  But am not impressed with regular public school.  So we will see how long my 6 year old stays in school.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Thanks for the ideas.  I sort of do the cup one.  I make them use the same cup and if they put it in the sink then they are out of luck for anything for the rest of the day.  I am mean on that one.  But I definetely like the idea of making them rinse thier plates atleast, then they can stack it in the dishwasher. 

I have to do the clothes thing and I do keep the school stuff organized or we could never do school.

Quoting mem82:

*HUGS* As someone with a large family, too, my I offer a few suggestions.

1. Laundry- For the older kids, give them each 6 shirts, 4 pants and then a church outfit and pack up the rest. If they don't have the clothes, there won't be as much to pile around. (I had to do this!)

2. For the older two and your niece, if they don't wash their plate, they don't get to eat. Same with their cup. It sounds really harsh but it will get your point across. They are old enough to rinse and dry. Label or color code a cup and that is everyone's cup for the day. Don't let them keep getting more of them down. (My kids will use 20 cups between the 4 of them if I let them. GRRR)

3. Give everyone a bin for their school stuff. It is easy to pile things in and then stack. 8)

Quoting debramommyof4:

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Mar. 18, 2013 at 7:12 PM

I agree with this.  I don't think that it's because I homeschool, but because I'm a SAHM.  I'm home, so I should keep the house in pretty good shape.  I do - except this weekend when we were all sick. :(  Although I'd admit that I've been a SAHM since 2005 and there have been many times when my housekeeping skills left much to be desired.  I think I'm more organized since I homeschool.  Maybe that helps?

Quoting mem82:

I'm not sure how much homeschooling makes me feel that way, but the fact that I'm a SAHM makes me feel like that.

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 18, 2013 at 7:25 PM
I feel because we homeschool we can be more relaxed about cleaning because we are using most every room everyday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 7:42 PM

No, I don't. I feel homeschooling gives me an excuse to let some things slide. LOL Homeschooling is my job.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I stress out big time when I know people are coming over with how the house looks, especially when it's people hubby works with since they all love to throw in their two cents about how weird homeschoolers are (like they really know...) and they seem to be under the impression that because the kids and I are all home the house should be spotless (despiste the fact their wives are SAHMs and their houses tend to be far from it....). I need at least 2 days in advanced notice or I go into full fledge panic mode. I don't let neighbors come in unless they're understanding to know that we actually live here and are here ALL DAY and the kids are doing stuff ALL DAY so it's not going to be perfect. 

I get no help what so ever when it comes to cleaning although yesterday I withheld food for the entire day until dishes were done (my oldest's one and only actual chore!) She ignored them until 3 in the afternoon even after it was announced that there were no dishes, no one is eating. It was eventually finished 8 pm. She missed half of dinner because she wans't allowed the part of the meal that was made with dishes I had to wash waiting for her. The lesson apparently didn't sink in...she didn't do dishes again til about 3 today... At least we had some clean dishes to eat off of today... 

Now, if I can find the culprit that has hid the dustpan so we can actually sweep the floor again :/. The vaccuum isn't cutting it in the kitchen!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)