Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling and house keeping..do you feel the pressure?

Posted by   + Show Post
Just curious if anyone else feels that as homeschoolers that you are doubly responsible for the state of your house?
Meaning...I personally feel (because we homeschool) that the state (cleanliness, organization etc.) Of my house matters more compared to a family that doesn't homeschool. Not to say that a clean/organised house isn't a good thing for public school families. Or all families really. I mean that I feel that my family is under more scrutiny by the outside world because we do homeschool.

Does that make sense?
Does anyone else feel this way?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Replies (11-15):
Joann.HS
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:35 PM
I didn't realize people didnt allow their children to eat. To each their own...Just seems extreme...and cruel, IMO.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:04 PM

My kids have many issues with not doing thier chores. If there is nothing to cook on I make them fend for themselves, except the 2 and 4 year old.  It is tricky because I do not keep alot of foods that do not have to be cooked because my oldest can not have red dye 40.

jewel80
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I am a single mom who homeschools but im also disabled, physically i walk with a walker some days i can barely walk with that! And i feel that way too, even though common sense tells me, ok single mom no help i have my kids 24/7 no daycare, school, dad nothing, and im disabled and my son has aspergers ,adhd, spd, fine motor delay,speech delay and health problems, obviously people dont expect me to have a spotless house but for some reason i still feel people judge me if its not spotless. And i do feel under a microscope because of homeschooling , meanwhile the schools can abuse our kids and people do nothing!!!!!
jewel80
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Pretty sure withholding for that long and withholding for not doing something is child abuse, withholding desert and treats is one thing but im pretty sure withholding meals is child abuse. Not making something special is one thing, making them eat what you cook ok, but withholding food for not doing a chore thats abuse, thats withholding something a child needs to live! Its withholding a necessity! Are they not allowed to shower if they dont clean the tub? Are they not allowed to pee if they dont clean the toilet? Not allowed to go to sleep if their bed isnt made? Not allowed to wear cloths if they dont do laundry? A child could get very sick if you with hold food! Now you say no desert or no candy thats fine but to not eat all day! Your kid could of ended up at the hospital! There are other things to take away, phone, tv,computer, going to friends house, sports, etc you dont withhold something a child needs to survive

Quoting Joann.HS:

I didn't realize people didnt allow their children to eat. To each their own...Just seems extreme...and cruel, IMO.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Um, when I said that if they don't wash it, they don't eat, it was more like I would make them stand at the sink and wash their dish before they got to sit down and eat. I wouldn't just get another plate out of the cupboard, if you see what I mean. 8)

Quoting jewel80:

Pretty sure withholding for that long and withholding for not doing something is child abuse, withholding desert and treats is one thing but im pretty sure withholding meals is child abuse. Not making something special is one thing, making them eat what you cook ok, but withholding food for not doing a chore thats abuse, thats withholding something a child needs to live! Its withholding a necessity! Are they not allowed to shower if they dont clean the tub? Are they not allowed to pee if they dont clean the toilet? Not allowed to go to sleep if their bed isnt made? Not allowed to wear cloths if they dont do laundry? A child could get very sick if you with hold food! Now you say no desert or no candy thats fine but to not eat all day! Your kid could of ended up at the hospital! There are other things to take away, phone, tv,computer, going to friends house, sports, etc you dont withhold something a child needs to survive

Quoting Joann.HS:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN