Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Why people put up with stuff like this amazes me (Update/apology in red)

Posted by   + Show Post

There's a lady from my town who posted about how her daughter was hit with a jumprope several times during PE today and then was stabbed with a pencil hard enough to require a bandaid.  Apparently when the teacher was told, they blew it off. So she's trying to get a hold of the teacher and the principal and can reach neither and people are encouraging her to make she makes an issue of it.  She wanted to know if anyone else had trouble with bullying.  That's part of the reason I and another mom in the group homeschool and we said as much, without telling her that's what she needed to do.  She writes

" we have had this bullying problem all year... Most of the time I find it's because my daughter said something to start it and the kid retaliated. I know my kid isn't an angel but this time she said she didn't do anything to start it. Not that she would be in trouble if she did. We don't have any other option but public school so I hope this is addressed quickly in a professional manner. It also does upset me that they didn't contact me. BUT... it's not the first time. We had a similar issue last week and they said, "oh, did you want to be put on the list so we can contact you when this happens?!" UH - YES!!!! I understand teachers are so busy and they have a hard job dealing with all those kids, I know I couldn't do it, and I was homeschooled and it was a horrible experience, so I want my kids to understand how to handle social/peer pressure, which is essential to emotional development, but I think this is a little too far."

I'm not judging.  To each her own.  Homeschooling is not for everyone, I get that. But why on earth would you put up with stuff like that? 

Bullying is a very sensitive topic for me and I have probably overreacted.  I know that homeschooling is not for everyone and is not best for everyone.  I never meant to imply otherwise and I apologize if I did.  I just feel terrible for the child who is having to go through this.

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 7:21 PM
Replies (11-17):
Kerriebear007
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:17 PM
I would call the district and talk to someone.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by Kristin on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:18 PM

I understand that homeschooling is not for everyone.  I don't believe that it's always best for every family either.  I try very hard not to judge.  In the end we are all (hopefully) doing what we feel is best for our children.  I'm sorry if I came across badly, I'm just frustrated for the child.

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Depends. Not everyone can handle it. We homeschooled for the first time this year. The teachers are politely telling me never to do it again cause my kids are more successful in regular school. Having one kid struggling and having touettes and autism another which a speech problem that affects reading and a wild 2 yr old I def got in over my head. BUT he were moving to another school district. We were buying a house. Took longer than expected to close and didnt get the kids in before the beginning of the school year. Tranfering wasnt possible cause I had no car and there was no room on the bus and school is 3 miles away. I wasnt putting them back in their old school cause they did nothing about my sons constant bullying. So there are reasons. Just saying. I will never home school again. I cant handle it.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe I'm being overly sensitive. Bullying just makes me so angry.  My son is so laid back and while he's always had friends, he's always been a fairly easy target.  When he was in the 2nd grade, he attended a private Christian school.  His best friend was another easy target because he was kind of a hot head.  Quick to react. My son started bringing home drawings his friend had made of the two of them taking care of their bullies.  One was a picture of the two them as dragons and in front of them were three piles of ash with the other kids' names underneath.  Another was of the two of them with guns and bullets were flying and the three other boys were graphically dying.  It was scary to see where the bullying had left this 7 year old boy.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

It doesn't sound like she's putting up with it - it sounds like she's going through appropriate channels to figure out how to solve it.

I'm not one to believe a child should be pulled from an otherwise working educational environment if the issues there can be solved (whether that be public, private, or home school). JMO.

cjsmom1
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:30 PM
I know if I didn't have so much help from my family it wouldn't be possible to hs ds. I work full-time so I can't do it all myself.
MrsImperfect
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:55 PM
You didnt :-) no worries. Just showing it doesnt always work out. In her case though she seems like she would rather make a big stink with no real goal.

Quoting Pukalani79:

I understand that homeschooling is not for everyone.  I don't believe that it's always best for every family either.  I try very hard not to judge.  In the end we are all (hopefully) doing what we feel is best for our children.  I'm sorry if I came across badly, I'm just frustrated for the child.

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Depends. Not everyone can handle it. We homeschooled for the first time this year. The teachers are politely telling me never to do it again cause my kids are more successful in regular school. Having one kid struggling and having touettes and autism another which a speech problem that affects reading and a wild 2 yr old I def got in over my head. BUT he were moving to another school district. We were buying a house. Took longer than expected to close and didnt get the kids in before the beginning of the school year. Tranfering wasnt possible cause I had no car and there was no room on the bus and school is 3 miles away. I wasnt putting them back in their old school cause they did nothing about my sons constant bullying. So there are reasons. Just saying. I will never home school again. I cant handle it.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I can understand that too...but it still blows.
For us, we had the "option" to switch schools, but all the schools by us are pretty craptastic, except for one BUT that one's principal was the mother of the principal at the school we were having problems with and we didn't forsee any good coming from a transfer. We also had the option of the busses still taking her to w/e school we chose, we just had to call the bus company to inform them.  Sometimes, calling the bus company (not asking the schools to do it) to work out transportation problems is all it takes... not saying it will for sure work, but always worth a try.

Quoting Pukalani79:

She said it would be too much of a nightmare.  That her daughter has to have a close eye kept on her and that they have no way of getting her to and from a new school. I understand that that can be difficult. I understand that tranportation can be a nightmare. I just dont understand why you'd send a child back to a place she constantly is getting hurt.  I'm trying so hard to be supportive, but...

Quoting No_Difference:

In her case though - I'd be looking into the possibility of a school transfer if she would prefer not to homeschool...

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
liliem
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Personally walk into the school and demand to speak to the Principal. Tell them what your expectations are and if they can accomadate that. Also tell them every incident and ask them what their procedures are for handling them. How many of these things happen and what are the repurcussions, etc. Tell them if it continues again, you will notify authorities and press charges to all parties that are endangering your child. They will get on it!!! You have a reasonable expectation to know that your child is safe at school. They are not creating a safe environment. Being busy is NO EXCUSE. Make it their business to be on top of it. Too many people lack the confidence to take control of a situation and know their rights. The principal at my sons school kept him in the office trying while calling my landlord to prove residency, when I discussed this with 2 personnel in his office that did nothing. I was so upset and told him under no uncertain terms is he to have my son in his office or question my son for any reason without my knowledge and consent. I also told him about previous horrific experiences with a principal from one of the horrible schools my son spent a year at. I have never had an issue since. I am planning on homeschooling my little ones, but feel I'm too little too late with my 12 y/o. I didn't have time when he was little because I was a single mother. Now I am busy with my little one, and due for another. It would be too traumatizing to take him out now after everything we've been through. But who knows what the future holds. Now I school my son on how to handle authorities in charge. Basically tell them to call his mom and then shut up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)