Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nutrition and Health

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:34 AM
  • 30 Replies

I spent this morning putting together a unit on health and nutrition using the choosemyplate.gov website.  After having spent a long weekend at grandma's house, they came back with a HUGE attitude about the food we eat.  Instead of just making them do it (my mom does not eat the whole grains, veggies, and legumes that we do) I decided to show them WHY we eat the way we do.

There are some awesome resources there!  Lots of printables and nutritional tips.

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/print-materials-ordering.html

Okay so here's the question... do I add information on Zave's Irritable Bowel Syndrome and my own problems while having Gestational Diabetes and the risks of getting type 2 diabetes?  Or is that just beating them over the heads with it?

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:53 AM
If it makes you eat differently than just what is on the website then I would add it. Like if you had to feed more veggies and less meat, or less breads anything like that.Then I would add it in.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Quoting debramommyof4:

If it makes you eat differently than just what is on the website then I would add it. Like if you had to feed more veggies and less meat, or less breads anything like that.Then I would add it in.

It doesn't really change what we eat, it just makes it more necessary for us to eat healthy foods, manage our weight, and exercise.

The big deal is that they keep complaining that they want white bread which does not come in our house.  I know that it spikes my sugar levels and so we just never have it.  But it is already recommended to eat whole grains.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:43 AM
I would add it in. It is in their day to day life.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Quoting mem82:

Thanks!  I'm probably too worried about the balance between letting them be kids and preparing them for being healthy adults.

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I would add it. They will learn more about what is going on with both you and your son. It will make them aware and give them reasons why you don't buy certain things.  Even though you probably tell them you can't buy white bread because it causes you issues, now when you go into how it reacts with your body they may get it finally.  

We don't buy white bread and a lot of other things that my girls friends get but my girls understand that we don't buy certain things.   

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:16 AM
I think that they can be kids without the white bread and all that other junk. My girls have never had a twinki or ho ho or whatever they are called. All that processed junk will not come into my house or cross my kids lips. We make a lot of our sweets home made. My family perfers home made cookies and cake to store bought. I really think that what you are doing is a great idea. It's informing the family and helping them understand what you are going through.
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting mem82:

Thanks!  I'm probably too worried about the balance between letting them be kids and preparing them for being healthy adults.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I would add it. They will learn more about what is going on with both you and your son. It will make them aware and give them reasons why you don't buy certain things.  Even though you probably tell them you can't buy white bread because it causes you issues, now when you go into how it reacts with your body they may get it finally.  

We don't buy white bread and a lot of other things that my girls friends get but my girls understand that we don't buy certain things.   

Thanks!  I think I will research good kid-friendly lessons for it.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I may not have been clear there.  White bread is never going to be an option in our house.  I am worried about keeping them kids by not getting into all the scary risks and diseases that come along with unhealthy eating.  We buy almost nothing that comes prepared, we make everything ourselves even breads etc.  I just wasn't sure about explaining why.  In their whole lives we have never had white bread, unforunately my parents still eat all that processed junk.  When the boys go to grandma's they come back with bad habits (and Zave comes back with digestional problems too).

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I think that they can be kids without the white bread and all that other junk. My girls have never had a twinki or ho ho or whatever they are called. All that processed junk will not come into my house or cross my kids lips. We make a lot of our sweets home made. My family perfers home made cookies and cake to store bought. I really think that what you are doing is a great idea. It's informing the family and helping them understand what you are going through.
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting mem82:

Koltie6
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I guess it depends on how old they are. Mine are 6 11 and 19. They comment in the store on labels etc. it's never really too early to teach good nutrition.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I would totally include it. It's an important part of understanding human digestion

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)