Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I spent this morning putting together a unit on health and nutrition using the choosemyplate.gov website.  After having spent a long weekend at grandma's house, they came back with a HUGE attitude about the food we eat.  Instead of just making them do it (my mom does not eat the whole grains, veggies, and legumes that we do) I decided to show them WHY we eat the way we do.

There are some awesome resources there!  Lots of printables and nutritional tips.

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/print-materials-ordering.html

Okay so here's the question... do I add information on Zave's Irritable Bowel Syndrome and my own problems while having Gestational Diabetes and the risks of getting type 2 diabetes?  Or is that just beating them over the heads with it?

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:34 AM
Replies (11-20):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Quoting Koltie6:

I guess it depends on how old they are. Mine are 6 11 and 19. They comment in the store on labels etc. it's never really too early to teach good nutrition.

They are 4, 6, and soon to be 8.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Quoting KickButtMama:

I would totally include it. It's an important part of understanding human digestion

True.  And that would be helpful to keep ave motivated to keep eating right.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Yes, add any information that shows them what and why. This helps them learn how to make quick determinations for when they have to make these decisions on their own.  For example...

We hardly eat any take out or bring home foods or even eat at fast food restaurants. But when we do, afterwards, we all feel the physical side effects. Painful gas, bathroom time, icky, sick feeling, over all.  Its the same thingif we eat cold breakfast cereals with milk. We can not do a whole lot of dairy milk because we have allergic reactions. So, when we do the rare times of this, we again feel the after effects.  You should try this with you family and watch the reactions and then have a discussion on the whys of your eating habits and the hows of the effects of your eating habits. The kids needs to know that it DOES matter and they will if they can actually *see* it in action.  

kttycat84
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:54 PM

I say go for it. We're dye-free and the kids know it's started because of how hyper they get with dye and is now because we know how carcinogenic artificial dyes are. It's easier for them to accept passing on treats when they have a reason beyond "Because I said so."

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:58 PM

That's what I was thinking.  I thought Zave would get it already.  He's always so sick after he eats too much white bread or anything with red (orange or purple) food coloring or HFCS.  He gets constipated, sick, achy.  But the addictive factor in that junk really must be something!!  He's been begging for the past week to have white bread and American cheese sandwiches with Koolaid (of all things!!)  YIKES!  Not that there's anything wrong with people eating that stuff, but it reeks havoc with us!

Quoting kirbymom:

Yes, add any information that shows them what and why. This helps them learn how to make quick determinations for when they have to make these decisions on their own.  For example...

We hardly eat any take out or bring home foods or even eat at fast food restaurants. But when we do, afterwards, we all feel the physical side effects. Painful gas, bathroom time, icky, sick feeling, over all.  Its the same thingif we eat cold breakfast cereals with milk. We can not do a whole lot of dairy milk because we have allergic reactions. So, when we do the rare times of this, we again feel the after effects.  You should try this with you family and watch the reactions and then have a discussion on the whys of your eating habits and the hows of the effects of your eating habits. The kids needs to know that it DOES matter and they will if they can actually *see* it in action.  

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kttycat84:

I say go for it. We're dye-free and the kids know it's started because of how hyper they get with dye and is now because we know how carcinogenic artificial dyes are. It's easier for them to accept passing on treats when they have a reason beyond "Because I said so."

I'm hoping that it does help because the I said so's are really wearing thin!  LOL

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:04 PM

You should maybe point it out when it happens. Just say,

oh there you are, feeling icky after eating that processed food, wow it just seems like it makes your body feel so nasty afterwards. Do you feel that way when you eat such and such soup that we make ourselves?

We have the same things happen with us too. That is why we limit our enjoyment of it to a rare occasion. :)  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

That's what I was thinking.  I thought Zave would get it already.  He's always so sick after he eats too much white bread or anything with red (orange or purple) food coloring or HFCS.  He gets constipated, sick, achy.  But the addictive factor in that junk really must be something!!  He's been begging for the past week to have white bread and American cheese sandwiches with Koolaid (of all things!!)  YIKES!  Not that there's anything wrong with people eating that stuff, but it reeks havoc with us!

Quoting kirbymom:

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I would if it is one of the reasons you eat what you eat, they need to know that it is your health & not to be mean & controlling of them.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Quoting usmom3:

I would if it is one of the reasons you eat what you eat, they need to know that it is your health & not to be mean & controlling of them.

Great Point!  I hadn't even thought of how it comes over when I tell them no!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I always feel so bad for him when he is stuck on the toilet or even worse when he's curled up in bed crying that his belly hurts that I just can'tbring myself to say anything.....I know, bad mommy, I need to let him know why he's feeling that way!

Quoting kirbymom:

You should maybe point it out when it happens. Just say,

oh there you are, feeling icky after eating that processed food, wow it just seems like it makes your body feel so nasty afterwards. Do you feel that way when you eat such and such soup that we make ourselves?

We have the same things happen with us too. That is why we limit our enjoyment of it to a rare occasion. :)  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)