Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I spent this morning putting together a unit on health and nutrition using the choosemyplate.gov website.  After having spent a long weekend at grandma's house, they came back with a HUGE attitude about the food we eat.  Instead of just making them do it (my mom does not eat the whole grains, veggies, and legumes that we do) I decided to show them WHY we eat the way we do.

There are some awesome resources there!  Lots of printables and nutritional tips.

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/print-materials-ordering.html

Okay so here's the question... do I add information on Zave's Irritable Bowel Syndrome and my own problems while having Gestational Diabetes and the risks of getting type 2 diabetes?  Or is that just beating them over the heads with it?

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:34 AM
Replies (21-30):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:24 PM

lol >> Yep! You said it! :)   When he learns WHY he is stuck on the toilet or laying in bed with a very bad tummy ache, then he will start to realize the consequences of eating that kind of food. :)  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I always feel so bad for him when he is stuck on the toilet or even worse when he's curled up in bed crying that his belly hurts that I just can'tbring myself to say anything.....I know, bad mommy, I need to let him know why he's feeling that way!

Quoting kirbymom:

You should maybe point it out when it happens. Just say,

oh there you are, feeling icky after eating that processed food, wow it just seems like it makes your body feel so nasty afterwards. Do you feel that way when you eat such and such soup that we make ourselves?

We have the same things happen with us too. That is why we limit our enjoyment of it to a rare occasion. :)  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

That's what I was thinking.  I thought Zave would get it already.  He's always so sick after he eats too much white bread or anything with red (orange or purple) food coloring or HFCS.  He gets constipated, sick, achy.  But the addictive factor in that junk really must be something!!  He's been begging for the past week to have white bread and American cheese sandwiches with Koolaid (of all things!!)  YIKES!  Not that there's anything wrong with people eating that stuff, but it reeks havoc with us!

Quoting kirbymom:

Yes, add any information that shows them what and why. This helps them learn how to make quick determinations for when they have to make these decisions on their own.  For example...

We hardly eat any take out or bring home foods or even eat at fast food restaurants. But when we do, afterwards, we all feel the physical side effects. Painful gas, bathroom time, icky, sick feeling, over all.  Its the same thingif we eat cold breakfast cereals with milk. We can not do a whole lot of dairy milk because we have allergic reactions. So, when we do the rare times of this, we again feel the after effects.  You should try this with you family and watch the reactions and then have a discussion on the whys of your eating habits and the hows of the effects of your eating habits. The kids needs to know that it DOES matter and they will if they can actually *see* it in action.  

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting usmom3:

I would if it is one of the reasons you eat what you eat, they need to know that it is your health & not to be mean & controlling of them.

Great Point!  I hadn't even thought of how it comes over when I tell them no!

I find that with my kids an explanation with an alternative makes for a better situation then just saying no & expecting them to accept it.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this

The next time he is having a bad day, I'm going to message you so you can give me that pep talk!

Quoting kirbymom:

lol >> Yep! You said it! :)   When he learns WHY he is stuck on the toilet or laying in bed with a very bad tummy ache, then he will start to realize the consequences of eating that kind of food. :)  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I always feel so bad for him when he is stuck on the toilet or even worse when he's curled up in bed crying that his belly hurts that I just can'tbring myself to say anything.....I know, bad mommy, I need to let him know why he's feeling that way!

Quoting kirbymom:

oh there you are, feeling icky after eating that processed food, wow it just seems like it makes your body feel so nasty afterwards. Do you feel that way when you eat such and such soup that we make ourselves?

We have the same things happen with us too. That is why we limit our enjoyment of it to a rare occasion. :)  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

That's what I was thinking.  I thought Zave would get it already.  He's always so sick after he eats too much white bread or anything with red (orange or purple) food coloring or HFCS.  He gets constipated, sick, achy.  But the addictive factor in that junk really must be something!!  He's been begging for the past week to have white bread and American cheese sandwiches with Koolaid (of all things!!)  YIKES!  Not that there's anything wrong with people eating that stuff, but it reeks havoc with us!

Quoting kirbymom:

Yes, add any information that shows them what and why. This helps them learn how to make quick determinations for when they have to make these decisions on their own.  For example...

We hardly eat any take out or bring home foods or even eat at fast food restaurants. But when we do, afterwards, we all feel the physical side effects. Painful gas, bathroom time, icky, sick feeling, over all.  Its the same thingif we eat cold breakfast cereals with milk. We can not do a whole lot of dairy milk because we have allergic reactions. So, when we do the rare times of this, we again feel the after effects.  You should try this with you family and watch the reactions and then have a discussion on the whys of your eating habits and the hows of the effects of your eating habits. The kids needs to know that it DOES matter and they will if they can actually *see* it in action.  

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:34 PM

LOL >>> You may message me any time. No matter what for. :)   

OHHH, my hubby just asked me if you know what shelly beans are and if you do, is there a way he find find a start or go to, to buy some?  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

The next time he is having a bad day, I'm going to message you so you can give me that pep talk!

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I think they go under horticultural beans in any of the seed catalogs.  I'd try Tractor Supply, Agway or a True Value hardware to find them in a store.  Any of the Heirloom seed racks should have a pack.  Good luck! 

Quoting kirbymom:

LOL >>> You may message me any time. No matter what for. :)   

OHHH, my hubby just asked me if you know what shelly beans are and if you do, is there a way he find find a start or go to, to buy some?  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I would probably explain to them why it is so important then.  That way they have added incentive.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting debramommyof4:

If it makes you eat differently than just what is on the website then I would add it. Like if you had to feed more veggies and less meat, or less breads anything like that.Then I would add it in.

It doesn't really change what we eat, it just makes it more necessary for us to eat healthy foods, manage our weight, and exercise.

The big deal is that they keep complaining that they want white bread which does not come in our house.  I know that it spikes my sugar levels and so we just never have it.  But it is already recommended to eat whole grains.

oredeb
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:32 AM

well my opinion is at least talk about it with them, getting them familar with it, since you got it, and how eating like you do helps it, and you could tell them why you have it! how old are your kids? i always forget ages!

health and nut unit studies are fun!!!  i think my kids always liked the body we drew(kid size) to show where the food went and came out  and what it did for the body the best

Okay so here's the question... do I add information on Zave's Irritable Bowel Syndrome and my own problems while having Gestational Diabetes and the risks of getting type 2 diabetes? Or is that just beating them over the heads with it?

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I may not have been clear there.  White bread is never going to be an option in our house.  I am worried about keeping them kids by not getting into all the scary risks and diseases that come along with unhealthy eating.  We buy almost nothing that comes prepared, we make everything ourselves even breads etc.  I just wasn't sure about explaining why.  In their whole lives we have never had white bread, unforunately my parents still eat all that processed junk.  When the boys go to grandma's they come back with bad habits (and Zave comes back with digestional problems too).

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I think that they can be kids without the white bread and all that other junk. My girls have never had a twinki or ho ho or whatever they are called. All that processed junk will not come into my house or cross my kids lips. We make a lot of our sweets home made. My family perfers home made cookies and cake to store bought. I really think that what you are doing is a great idea. It's informing the family and helping them understand what you are going through.
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting mem82:

I would add it in. It is in their day to day life.

Thanks!  I'm probably too worried about the balance between letting them be kids and preparing them for being healthy adults.

I think it's a great idea to teach them why you make the choices that you do.  If your child had food allergies, you would probably have explained it that way already by now.  There's not really a difference, it's a health choice.  But labeling grandma's choices as bad and referring to the foods she eats as junk could cause some hardships.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:50 AM

They are 4,6 and almost 8.  We did the body months ago in science. With our k12, they had health all over the board, so I decided to do a nutrition unit because their science didn't cover nutrition.  I'll probably tie them ogather better next year.  I like flow :-) 

I'm putting together a Gastrnomic health lesson and pulled out their body oulines from the fall.  (Le got a kick out of seeing how much he grew!)  I think we'll touch on the diseases but focus on how healthy food keeps your digestion healthy, or focus on the positive.

Quoting oredeb:

well my opinion is at least talk about it with them, getting them familar with it, since you got it, and how eating like you do helps it, and you could tell them why you have it! how old are your kids? i always forget ages!

health and nut unit studies are fun!!!  i think my kids always liked the body we drew(kid size) to show where the food went and came out  and what it did for the body the best

Okay so here's the question... do I add information on Zave's Irritable Bowel Syndrome and my own problems while having Gestational Diabetes and the risks of getting type 2 diabetes? Or is that just beating them over the heads with it?

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I may not have been clear there.  White bread is never going to be an option in our house.  I am worried about keeping them kids by not getting into all the scary risks and diseases that come along with unhealthy eating.  We buy almost nothing that comes prepared, we make everything ourselves even breads etc.  I just wasn't sure about explaining why.  In their whole lives we have never had white bread, unforunately my parents still eat all that processed junk.  When the boys go to grandma's they come back with bad habits (and Zave comes back with digestional problems too).

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I think that they can be kids without the white bread and all that other junk. My girls have never had a twinki or ho ho or whatever they are called. All that processed junk will not come into my house or cross my kids lips. We make a lot of our sweets home made. My family perfers home made cookies and cake to store bought. I really think that what you are doing is a great idea. It's informing the family and helping them understand what you are going through.
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting mem82:

I would add it in. It is in their day to day life.

Thanks!  I'm probably too worried about the balance between letting them be kids and preparing them for being healthy adults.

I think it's a great idea to teach them why you make the choices that you do.  If your child had food allergies, you would probably have explained it that way already by now.  There's not really a difference, it's a health choice.  But labeling grandma's choices as bad and referring to the foods she eats as junk could cause some hardships.

Yeah, I have a hard time not calling it junk, HAHA!  I'll have to work on that!  :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN