Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Girl you so crazy! ... (I need lots of advice here!!!)

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:24 AM
  • 10 Replies

Alright this is my second time joining this group, not sure if I got kicked for inactivity or if I dropped out waiting for the next school year. I had intended on home schooling the kiddo's this year but because they are still foster kids technically I was told I couldn't. So in July the oldest two (who will be in 6th grade and 3rd grade next year) we will not have to answer to CPS. The youngest (who because of his birthdate and NOT his intelligence will be repeating headstart) will still be in the system for adoption so I don't know if homeschooling him will be OK with the new adoption worker but I'm sure going to try. Now I have checked in to an online school but really I think I'd prefer to have 100% genuine home schooling. Now I need input. What would be good to include on my checklist of supplies? I am a brand new mom, was not homeschooled myself, and don't really know what to need or expect. Thanks so much for any input!

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coala
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:12 AM

You are going to need basic supplies to start:

Pencils, erasers, paper, crayons, colored pencils, printer paper, folders.  You are going to need to look into what you want to use for a curriculum.  You also need to look into your state laws.  There are moms on here that can point you in the direction of your local HSLDA.  They will be a good place to start.  I reccommend that you find a local HS group that you can get your kids into so that they can still make friends with other kids.  They may not ALL be the same age, but they are other kids.  I wish you luck.

Just a side note.  I had custody of my niece in 2011 for 3 1/2 mos (she is now adopted).  The judge signed the temporary custody order that said I could made educational decisions for her.  She then through a fit saying that she gave me the "go ahead" to enroll her in school, not home school.  All I could do was laugh, as the law was clearly in my favor by the wordage my attorney used.  LOL

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Have you decide what curriculum you are going to use or how you are going to build one.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Try these 2 articles 

http://voices.yahoo.com/home-educators-top-10-checklist-1037345.html?cat=4

http://voices.yahoo.com/essential-tools-homeschoolers-1533819.html?cat=25

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Hi! I am so glad that you have joined our group. :)  

Here are a couple of links to 2 posts that you might be interested in....

http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079/forums/read/18214928/Frequently_Asked_Questions_About_Home_Schooling?ct=acc_active_posts

http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079/forums/read/18214877/The_3_Biggest_Homeschooling_Questions?ct=acc_active_posts

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:31 PM

As a home school workshop leader, I put together the free online web page to answer your questions"

How To Home School

oredeb
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:25 PM

welcome back westtx!!!

im not sure if these are already mentioned!

globe

microscope

rulers

protractors

graph paper

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Mar. 19, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Get a good pencil sharpener.  There are days I swear they spend more time sharpening than writing! :) And paper, lots of paper.  Like others have said, you need to find out what the laws are in your state. Each state varies.  Some are very strict others are pretty lax.  Then decide on a curriculum or work towards piecing one together.  Then you'll get an idea about what you need.  Shop the sales.  Some places give teacher discounts, so see what you can do to get onboard with that. Have fun!

westtxmomtobe
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I have managed to determine both older kids are primarily auditory and somewhat visual learners. I have not even started looking at curriculims yet, kind of where I am at the moment.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:44 PM

You may want to look into time for learning and supplement around that.  We use The Head of the Class, it is free and visual.  It only goes to 5th grade though. I do supplement around it though you do not have too.  Here is the website.

http://www.theheadoftheclass.com/UserManagement/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fNavigation%2fMenuParents.aspx

We use notebooks, pencils, your oldest might need pens.  Binders and dividers for you and the kids are great to have. 

westtxmomtobe
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Thanks guys so much for the responses. I kinda figured the supplies they need at public school they will need for homeschool, but what I was more wondering was along the lines of beyond that. Should I invest in a set of encyclopedias, etc.? Our town is fairly large so our local library is pretty well stocked, but if it's something we'll end up using almost daily I don't want to have to keep running there. I think a weekly trip to the library is more reasonable. I looked at curiculum packages and almost had a poo! That's a ton of money and I'd need 3 of them! So I've since been perusing used textbook sites and I think I'm going to put my own together. And I made a typo earlier it's 4th grade, 6th grade, and he supposed to repeat headstart but my guy is so smart I want to move ahead to kindergarden material and see how he does with it. I've planned on meeting with each of their current teachers to get a good handle on what they've been covering this year in more detail and what they anticipate for next year but after some research it seems most people's opinions are that public schools are very anti homeschool and I don't want that headache being that I won't be done with CPS until mid July for the oldest 2 when we will not be considered their foster parents anymore but their parents.

I've read some things, and I really like the idea of the unit style, so picking a topic and encompassing all subjects when learning about it. At this point I really need to get a handle on how much they know in each subject to determine what I need to get. My only concern is the children had a proffesionally administered IQ test done by a psychologist at the request of their CPS worker and both are brilliant. I think with this one on one teaching they are going to blow through material so quickly. How fast is average for a home schooled kid to go through each grade? And how do I address their intelligence? I mean if they learn it quickly or for that matter already know the material, just keep going on to the next grade? Also is it worth it or necessary to get the teacher editions as well? I think if I were to read through the textbooks I get and material I plan to cover for now I'd pretty well know it, but it's been so long since I was in school...LOL. OK and lastly does anyone have good recomendations for those grade levels as far as unit programs?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)