Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Learning Opportunities! Today in History: March 19

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:32 AM
  • 5 Replies

Below are a list of events that took place today in history.
Have you studied or will you be studying any of these events?
Share with us!

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Bump!

Cafe MichelleP
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:18 PM

1649 – The House of Commons of England passes an act abolishing the House of Lords, declaring it "useless and dangerous to the people of England".  (This didn't go over too well....lol)

1918 – The U.S. Congress establishes time zones and approves daylight saving time. ( I only know this because I looked it up last week when my 8 year old wanted to know why we changed the time)

1931Gambling is legalized in Nevada. ( I admin the Nevada Moms group, so I know this...lol)

1966Texas Western becomes the first college basketball team to win the Final Four with an all-black starting lineup. (I used to live in El Paso when I was in middle school and part way through high school. UTEP formerly Texas Western is one of the schools I was considering attending. I went to several UTEP basketball game while Coach Haskins was still coaching)

1987 – Televangelist Jim Bakker resigns as head of the PTL Club due to a brewing sex scandal; he hands over control to Jerry Falwell. (I remember this.)

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this
So we can thank 1918 for daylight savings. Blah.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

1649 – The House of Commons of England passes an act abolishing the House of Lords, declaring it "useless and dangerous to the people of England".  (This didn't go over too well....lol)  I have a vague memory on this one. 

1918 – The U.S. Congress establishes time zones and approves daylight saving time. ( I only know this because I looked it up last week when my 8 year old wanted to know why we changed the time)  I know this one because of the same reason. Had to look it up. :) 

1931Gambling is legalized in Nevada. ( I admin the Nevada Moms group, so I know this...lol) I used to live in Nevada!   So I knew this one. :) 

1966Texas Western becomes the first college basketball team to win the Final Four with an all-black starting lineup. (I used to live in El Paso when I was in middle school and part way through high school. UTEP formerly Texas Western is one of the schools I was considering attending. I went to several UTEP basketball game while Coach Haskins was still coaching) I have a vague memory of hearing about this, but that is all. 

1987 – Televangelist Jim Bakker resigns as head of the PTL Club due to a brewing sex scandal; he hands over control to Jerry Falwell. (I remember this.) I remember this one well. It was such a shocker in the church world.  

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Blah  is right.....it's been more than a week and I still have not adjusted.  

Quoting Boobah:

So we can thank 1918 for daylight savings. Blah.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)