Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I see we have a lot of new folk and even some lurkers! Come and tell us about yourself.

Posted by   + Show Post

Welcome to Homeschooling Moms!

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Replies (11-20):
ajthompson77
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I just joined this group.  We have been homeschooling our two 2nd graders since January of last year.  I always said I would never homeschool.  I just didn't think I would be any good at it.  But when my 4 year old son was diagnosed with leukemia right before Christmas 2011, I pulled our kids out of school so they wouldn't be bringing home germs to our immune suppressed child.  He died 10 weeks later.  We did not put our children back in school because we needed to spend time together as a family during this horrible time.  So since we've been doing it now, we really enjoy it and wouldn't dream of putting our kids back in school.  We have another one on the way that is due end of April, so we will also homeschool him when he is older.  

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:24 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. I'm glad something good for your family could come from it even though it doesn't in any way replace your son.

Quoting ajthompson77:

I just joined this group.  We have been homeschooling our two 2nd graders since January of last year.  I always said I would never homeschool.  I just didn't think I would be any good at it.  But when my 4 year old son was diagnosed with leukemia right before Christmas 2011, I pulled our kids out of school so they wouldn't be bringing home germs to our immune suppressed child.  He died 10 weeks later.  We did not put our children back in school because we needed to spend time together as a family during this horrible time.  So since we've been doing it now, we really enjoy it and wouldn't dream of putting our kids back in school.  We have another one on the way that is due end of April, so we will also homeschool him when he is older.  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I guess I skipped the whole intro thing! Sorry! I've been on here  a few weeks, but I hs'ed my oldest in '01 for a year then started again in '05 with my youngest two. My youngest has never been to public school and he is 10 now. I plan on hsing through high school.

oredeb
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:00 PM

welcome ajthompson!!!

what state are you hsing in?

Quoting ajthompson77:

oredeb
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:01 PM

welcome leissa!!!

Quoting Leissaintexas:

I guess I skipped the whole intro thing! Sorry! I've been on here  a few weeks, but I hs'ed my oldest in '01 for a year then started again in '05 with my youngest two. My youngest has never been to public school and he is 10 now. I plan on hsing through high school.

charla_r
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Hi! I don't post much but I am Charla and I am a mom of two. I will be homeschooling my DD in the fall for kindergarten. I am trying to decide on curriculum and order materials soon so I have lots of time to plan and get organized.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi Charla! 

Quoting charla_r:

Hi! I don't post much but I am Charla and I am a mom of two. I will be homeschooling my DD in the fall for kindergarten. I am trying to decide on curriculum and order materials soon so I have lots of time to plan and get organized.

Well, whenever you need help or advice or just want a place to come and relax, we are here for you. :)   

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I am sooo sorry that you lost your son. I can feel some empathy as our oldest had leukemia when she was 3. She was able to overcome and go on to become a healthy 17 yr old. :( 

Congrats on this new bundle of joy that is about to present themselves real soon. :)   

Quoting ajthompson77:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:04 PM

You know you could make your own since she is young enough to not need such an indepth curriculum just yet.  You could even do your own faith based curriculum too. 

Quoting mrs.hartman12:

I am new and mostly lurk. My oldest is only 4 so our "school" is pretty much unschooling right now. I have a small stack of work books for her to use at her leasure. She likes them a lot and is getting pretty good at writing. I think once she learns to read she will be an independant study kid. So right now I just am getting ideas and reminding myself there are other families like us out there, lol. We recently moved so we are missing our old co-op and friends. Haven't found a non religous based co-op by us yet. 

Amanda_Jo1209
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I just recently joined.

My name is Amanda, I am a SAHM to two wonderful children and the girlfriend to my best friend. My son is 4 and my daughter is 3 and my youngest is 2. My youngest lives with his mama, he IS mine, just not biologically and I don't like the term "step-xxx". I am a southern girl, I LOVE LOVE LOVE horses, bonfires, camping, fishing, etc. I just started homeschooling this year. We are taking it easy and pretty much "unschooling" I guess you could say, until this fall. My bf and I are amazing together. I have never been THIS happy before in my life.

I am pretty much an open book and will talk your ear off. If you have any questions or want to know anything, just ask. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)