Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I really LOVE this group!  We are very eclectic (a bit of everything, ya know).  We have people just thinking about homeschooling, virtual academies, traditional schoolers, and unschoolers... and everything in between!

We are typically very supportive and not very judgmental.  BUT I've noticed that we've been getting into some brush-ups lately.  Just remember that we are here to give advice, be supportive, and talk about homeschooling. 

Some ladies have been on the verge of calling others abusive and there have been some very judgmental posts about the kind of homeschooling people do or the reasons behind those choices.  We all try to do what is best for our families.  We all make our own choices.  And those choices are valid.  Homeschooling is a LOT o work and a Lot of stress....Be respectful, okay.

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Replies (11-20):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:11 PM
I've been taking a little computer break. We were refinancing (closed today!), have been Looking for another house or thinking of building, school, my business, hubby working like crazy! So we are good, just chaotic at the moment. :)

Quoting irvinehiker:

I noticed you weren't around much.  Hope everything is well.  I miss your "to do " lists.  :)

Quoting Boobah:

Me too, I haven't been on much lately but I will try to diffuse where I can!

Quoting irvinehiker:

Excellent reminder!!  Although I've been a bit busy with life and have missed those "brush ups."

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Glad everything is OK.  Good luck with the house hunt!  :)

Quoting Boobah:

I've been taking a little computer break. We were refinancing (closed today!), have been Looking for another house or thinking of building, school, my business, hubby working like crazy! So we are good, just chaotic at the moment. :)

Quoting irvinehiker:

I noticed you weren't around much.  Hope everything is well.  I miss your "to do " lists.  :)

Quoting Boobah:

Me too, I haven't been on much lately but I will try to diffuse where I can!

Quoting irvinehiker:

Excellent reminder!!  Although I've been a bit busy with life and have missed those "brush ups."

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:44 PM
2 moms liked this

Eh.

If someone posts, in any group - no matter how laid back the group, that they are utilizing discipline tactics illegal in many states, I think it stands to reason that they will be called out on it (especially if they are asking discipline advice in the same thread).

As far as school choices...

While I agree that nobody should ever be bashed about their educational choices, I do think it's very important that when a newb comes on looking for advice, they're given the good, bad, and the ugly about the options they are considering - how else can they make an educated, well thought out decision? Obviously, that "good, bad, and ugly" is going to rub someone the wrong way, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be said.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Joann.HS
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:43 AM
This. Well said.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Eh.

If someone posts, in any group - no matter how laid back the group, that they are utilizing discipline tactics illegal in many states, I think it stands to reason that they will be called out on it (especially if they are asking discipline advice in the same thread).

While I agree that nobody should ever be bashed about their educational choices, I do think it's very important that when a newb comes on looking for advice, they're given the good, bad, and the ugly about the options they are considering - how else can they make an educated, well thought out decision? Obviously, that "good, bad, and ugly" is going to rub someone the wrong way, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be said.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:47 AM
3 moms liked this

I'm taking about telling people who have left virtual academies that they 1)didn't research it beforehand OR 2) are just too lazy to actually teach their kids.  Telling unschooling moms that they 1)just don't want to "deal" with their children OR 2) are just too lazy to actually teach their kids. 

There are tactful ways to disagree. 

As for the abusive comment, they were not asking advice, what they were doing was NOT abusive, the other poster made about 3-4 leaps of assumption.

We can discuss without namecalling and degrading one another.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Eh.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:54 AM

What the hay did I miss?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I'm taking about telling people who have left virtual academies that they 1)didn't research it beforehand OR 2) are just too lazy to actually teach their kids.  Telling unschooling moms that they 1)just don't want to "deal" with their children OR 2) are just too lazy to actually teach their kids. 

As for the abusive comment, they were not asking advice, what they were doing was NOT abusive, the other poster made about 3-4 leaps of assumption.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Eh.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Yeah, I know right?  Trust me I've been in some VERY contentious groups I try not to get all "let's play nice" until it really pieves me off!  I was ready to blow, but it would just escalate the problem, so this post calmed me down and pushed those ones off the front page (2 were fully deleted).

Quoting AutymsMommy:

What the hay did I miss?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Eh.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I *think* I caught the beginning of one referenced post about virtual schools, but I had no clue it had escalated. Lol.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Yeah, I know right?  Trust me I've been in some VERY contentious groups I try not to get all "let's play nice" until it really pieves me off!  I was ready to blow, but it would just escalate the problem, so this post calmed me down and pushed those ones off the front page (2 were fully deleted).

Quoting AutymsMommy:

What the hay did I miss?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Eh.

SusanTheWriter
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:47 AM
2 moms liked this

I totally missed all that! Probably a good thing, but cheez'n'crackers. Folks do get het up. ;-)

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I think I missed this unless you are talking about my cheating post. I was not offended by anything so I dont think so.  I love this group because there are so many wonderful differences on here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN