Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

You know that list of books you keep in the back of your mind, or even on an actually list? The list of books your want to eventually get for your kids.
I managed to get our curriculum for less than the budgeted amount this year. So I took the extra money and have been slowly trying to gather some of the books on my list.
This one came today. Have been wanting to get this one for them for a while. They are excited.
Even snagged a good deal on Ebay. :)
What's on your Book Wish List??

Hmmm...now which one to get next...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Replies (11-20):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:09 AM

My husband actually gets frustrated and tells me it is cheaper to buy it for my kindle.  He gets upset with me.  But I only buy the books on sale anyway.  It takes a true lover of books to understand.  My husband doesnt read much at all.  I hate to tell him I have created another reading monster she is 7 so he needs to watch out.  If I can create 3 more I will.  I want all my children to love to read.

Quoting No_Difference:

We move often too, and I've "thinned out" my book collection many times because I didn't want to pack and carry all the boxes of books... In the end I think we still have at least 10 boxes of books, maybe more, that we move with!!
Now that I have my kindle, my hubby is more annoyed with my book obsession lol. If I'm unsure of the book, I get the e-book first. If I liked it a lot, I get the real book and read it again.

Quoting debramommyof4:

I love to read but curse it everytime our lease is up and we move.  Books are heavy but I would rather have real books than digital.  My hubby does not understand.

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

Oh yea..the Beauty and the Beast library is amazing!
Before it is all said and done there will be at least one bookshelf built into every room in our house.the master bedroom is under construction. 50% of the available wall space is getting covered in book shelves. It is a sickness really. ;)

Quoting debramommyof4:

I want all of the period American Girl Books, The Little House on the Prairie series, to finish up the Magic Tree house series including the Fact checkers, Sarah Plain and Tall, George Washington's Socks, there are more than I can name.

I am with pp on the house for books.  I want one please or at least the library from Beauty and the Beast.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:38 AM

My husband doesn't read at all unless forced to so I understand entrely LOL. I get yelled at for buying real books too because "they're too expensive." I think they're worth the money if they're being read a million times over! ...okay maybe not a million times over... but they're read over a bunch of times lol!  I wish I could create reading monsters...my oldest hates reading the majority of the time, but my youngest is proving to be a hopeful lol

Quoting debramommyof4:

My husband actually gets frustrated and tells me it is cheaper to buy it for my kindle.  He gets upset with me.  But I only buy the books on sale anyway.  It takes a true lover of books to understand.  My husband doesnt read much at all.  I hate to tell him I have created another reading monster she is 7 so he needs to watch out.  If I can create 3 more I will.  I want all my children to love to read.

Quoting No_Difference:

We move often too, and I've "thinned out" my book collection many times because I didn't want to pack and carry all the boxes of books... In the end I think we still have at least 10 boxes of books, maybe more, that we move with!!
Now that I have my kindle, my hubby is more annoyed with my book obsession lol. If I'm unsure of the book, I get the e-book first. If I liked it a lot, I get the real book and read it again.

Quoting debramommyof4:

I love to read but curse it everytime our lease is up and we move.  Books are heavy but I would rather have real books than digital.  My hubby does not understand.

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

Before it is all said and done there will be at least one bookshelf built into every room in our house.the master bedroom is under construction. 50% of the available wall space is getting covered in book shelves. It is a sickness really. ;)

Quoting debramommyof4:

I want all of the period American Girl Books, The Little House on the Prairie series, to finish up the Magic Tree house series including the Fact checkers, Sarah Plain and Tall, George Washington's Socks, there are more than I can name.

I am with pp on the house for books.  I want one please or at least the library from Beauty and the Beast.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:45 AM

You just have to find the right books, atleast thats what worked with my 7 year old.  She read 4 Magic Tree House and 1 American girl book in 5 days.  I was amazed and then she was asking for more.  I tested her on book adventure to be sure she understood them and she passed on all of them.

Quoting No_Difference:

My husband doesn't read at all unless forced to so I understand entrely LOL. I get yelled at for buying real books too because "they're too expensive." I think they're worth the money if they're being read a million times over! ...okay maybe not a million times over... but they're read over a bunch of times lol!  I wish I could create reading monsters...my oldest hates reading the majority of the time, but my youngest is proving to be a hopeful lol

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

Quoting debramommyof4:

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I've tried just about every type of book I can think of. Even if I read to her, she will zone out and ignore me... I know part of the problem is she doesn't want to sound out words she doesn't just "know" and she then skips it so there is no comprehension at all. When reading to her, she'll zone out if I get to a word she doesn't know, but she doesn't want to ask until many chapters later and then we have to go back and reread parts so they make sense, but she no longer cares....
My little guy won't let me stop reading if I start though lol

Quoting debramommyof4:

You just have to find the right books, atleast thats what worked with my 7 year old.  She read 4 Magic Tree House and 1 American girl book in 5 days.  I was amazed and then she was asking for more.  I tested her on book adventure to be sure she understood them and she passed on all of them.

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

Quoting debramommyof4:

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I dont know how to help you there.  If you try forcing it she will hate reading but it is a skill she needs so you can't help it.  I love when they are stuborn.

Quoting No_Difference:

I've tried just about every type of book I can think of. Even if I read to her, she will zone out and ignore me... I know part of the problem is she doesn't want to sound out words she doesn't just "know" and she then skips it so there is no comprehension at all. When reading to her, she'll zone out if I get to a word she doesn't know, but she doesn't want to ask until many chapters later and then we have to go back and reread parts so they make sense, but she no longer cares....

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

Quoting debramommyof4:

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I may have reached a break through. We recently finished reading Secrets of NIMH for our bedtime story (The only time she actually listens) and thn hubby got her the movie. We watched it and then discussed the differences between the two and she was able to spot almost all of them!! 
I found this website: http://www.mymcpl.org/cfapps/botb/book.cfm which has an extensive list of books with movies based off of them. Now I'm going through them all to find appropriate books for her with movies we can get ahold of for the rest of this year and probably next.
I still have to find a way to work on comprehension with her tho :/

Quoting debramommyof4:

I dont know how to help you there.  If you try forcing it she will hate reading but it is a skill she needs so you can't help it.  I love when they are stuborn.

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

Quoting debramommyof4:

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:59 AM

with book adventure they earn prizes for passing the tests which ensure they comprend the books.  My kids love it.

Quoting No_Difference:

I may have reached a break through. We recently finished reading Secrets of NIMH for our bedtime story (The only time she actually listens) and thn hubby got her the movie. We watched it and then discussed the differences between the two and she was able to spot almost all of them!! 
I found this website: http://www.mymcpl.org/cfapps/botb/book.cfm which has an extensive list of books with movies based off of them. Now I'm going through them all to find appropriate books for her with movies we can get ahold of for the rest of this year and probably next.

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

Quoting debramommyof4:

elizabooks
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:37 PM
ok i dont get why i can never quote replies on here. so in response to the mom who is going ti use movies & books for her daughter. .. does she like to draw? tell stories? to test comprehension perhaps. you can have her draw the next scene or tell what happened next (after the story ended) using the characters? my father used to do this with me. he would have me watch the first 15 or last 15 minutes of the Twilight Zone and the have me tell him the beginning or ending. then we would watch the whole thing and discuss any differences. that might not be an appropriate show for your child, but aother show might work as well. We also did Columbo mysteries, murder she wrote and star trek.

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

Quoting debramommyof4:

elizabooks
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:39 PM
ok so this mobile does quote, i just cannot see it.
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:23 PM

She does like to draw BUT only what she "wants to". She won't draw what she thinks will happen next, or even verbally tell me what might happen next without major prompting, and then if I give her a bunch of ideas to choose from, she'll just take the first one I said, even if it has nothing related to the story because she stops listening... In the end, I'm the one doing the assignment, not her... I frequently stop while reading and ask what will happen next, even ask her to draw what JUST happened, and she can't... My 3 yr old on the oher hand...no problems... I'm hoping if we do the books and movies a little more, and start with the compare and contrast there, we can at least build off of it... I forsee this being a very long and stubborn road...

Quoting elizabooks:

ok i dont get why i can never quote replies on here. so in response to the mom who is going ti use movies & books for her daughter. .. does she like to draw? tell stories? to test comprehension perhaps. you can have her draw the next scene or tell what happened next (after the story ended) using the characters? my father used to do this with me. he would have me watch the first 15 or last 15 minutes of the Twilight Zone and the have me tell him the beginning or ending. then we would watch the whole thing and discuss any differences. that might not be an appropriate show for your child, but aother show might work as well. We also did Columbo mysteries, murder she wrote and star trek.

Quoting No_Difference:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)