Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Not reporting

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:41 PM
  • 56 Replies
I seem to remember reading a post once from someone on here who has never reported to their district that they are homeschooling...? Has anyone here not reported as they are "required"? You can pm me if you'd rather not reply here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:44 PM
I report every year. I don't see it as an invasion of my privacy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
all2gethernow
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I've known homeschooler that did not report. Now their kids are teens and their lives are off track. Also knew someone who got caught..they tested her kids, demanded in home visits...the kids were pre-teens and could not read or write. CPS got involved, kids were removed, put in school. It invites trouble Easier to follow the laws. For everyone.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:54 PM

I have always reported.  I think of hsing as a privelege and would never want to do anything to lose that.  I live in a state with very reasonable laws though.  

oredeb
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:48 AM
2 moms liked this

hi mommy, ive never reported that my kids were homeschooled or taken the tests, and they all know how to read and write and have good jobs etc and even married and have homes!!! they chose not to go to college (one is going now)

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:58 AM

We have not had to report.  But California will take your kids for anything so I will be reporting next year to ensure that they can not use that against me.  I dont know why I would not report.

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, I think you were the one I was thinking of! Can I ask a couple questions? Why did you decide not to report? Were you ever worried that you would get caught and what may happen? Did it ever make things more difficult or prevent you being able to join certain activities?

I likely will report because I live in an easy state so there's no really compelling reason why not to. But I can't help but be drawn to the idea because I don't like it being up to the state. I think it's a bit backwards to automatically be the state's job to educate my child and I have to apply/notify to do it myself. It bugs me.

Quoting oredeb:

hi mommy, ive never reported that my kids were homeschooled or taken the tests, and they all know how to read and write and have good jobs etc and even married and have homes!!! they chose not to go to college (one is going now)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I also think it's backwards.

However, is that something you're willing to lose your ability to home educate over?

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

Yes, I think you were the one I was thinking of! Can I ask a couple questions? Why did you decide not to report? Were you ever worried that you would get caught and what may happen? Did it ever make things more difficult or prevent you being able to join certain activities?

I likely will report because I live in an easy state so there's no really compelling reason why not to. But I can't help but be drawn to the idea because I don't like it being up to the state. I think it's a bit backwards to automatically be the state's job to educate my child and I have to apply/notify to do it myself. It bugs me.

Quoting oredeb:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I am an odd man out. I have never "reported"  or did their tests either.  I used to worry but I do not do so any more. I have had CPS and the police called on me but not for this reason but for other reasons. They all were told that we homeschool our kids and they aasked to talk to our kids and of course we allowed  that but only in our presence. Always always afterwards, these  people left asking if we would teach their children.  I have no fears of anyone taking away my "ability" to educate my children. Or just taking away my "anything". My views are this....I implore anyone to come and test me and my children at any time, for whatever reasons.  I will show how my children not only pass "whomever's" tests, but will exceed them, beyond all shadows of any doubts, as well.  Anyone who comes, will go away with the knowledge that they need not have ever come in the first place.  

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:08 PM

We are required to send in the IHIP every year at the start of school and then we have to submit quarterly reports. They also have to take a standardized test every year from 1st through 3rd and every other year form 4th though 8th grade and every year from9th to 12th.

homeschoolx3
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:10 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting all2gethernow:

I've known homeschooler that did not report. Now their kids are teens and their lives are off track. Also knew someone who got caught..they tested her kids, demanded in home visits...the kids were pre-teens and could not read or write. CPS got involved, kids were removed, put in school. It invites trouble Easier to follow the laws. For everyone.

I highly doubt this true. the last time I checked,  this is supposed to be America. People have become sheep and do whatever the govt demands of them. Funny how those that live without govt interverence do so much better that those who bow down to the govt's demands and follow illegal laws made to keep the sheep in line.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN