Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
I seem to remember reading a post once from someone on here who has never reported to their district that they are homeschooling...? Has anyone here not reported as they are "required"? You can pm me if you'd rather not reply here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Replies (51-56):
oredeb
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:39 AM

hahahahhaha yes mommy2 it makes sense!!! well you and your dh are the only ones who can decide for you!!! homeschooling is a lot more public now days than it was back in 83, so more people notice it, and do it! seems like nowdays it just another alternative for schooling kids, and more exceptable.

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

What's making me pause is my reasons for wanting to not report. I'm against it on principle, but I don't know if I'm wanting to not report to make a stand for that, or if i'm more being a stubborn child saying "you can't make me!"

I have always had authority issues and can't stand being told what to do. So while I am against the state having control on a much deeper level, I don't know if my desire to not report is coming from that deeper level or a surface level rebelliousness.

Does that make any sense at all? Lol

Quoting oredeb:

heck, i wouldnt even report if the govern. gave homeschoolers tax credits in our state for following the law 

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this
My state does not require it, so I don't. If they did, I would.

Teaching our children to be good citizens starts by example. Whether you think a law is just or not isn't criteria for obeying it. I may think 40 mph is too slow a speed limit, but that doesn'tmean I should go however fast I want.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MonkeyPeanut79
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I don't report. My son has never been in public school and my state, Illinois, doesn't seem to have any regulations regarding it. This is from the Illinois State Board of Education website, 

. Am I required to register my home school?

No. In Illinois, registration of home-schooled students is not required. Parents may choose to 

notify their regional superintendent of education and/or the State Board of their intention to 

home-school. Here is a link to the one-page form:

http://www.isbe.net/research/pdfs/87-02_hs_reg.pdf

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:18 AM
3 moms liked this
This post makes me shake my head. 8) luckily, I believe it takes all kinds to make the world go round.lol
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:37 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't need to report. The law here is written so that if I ever reported then the district could become very nosy over my curriculum, testing...but if I just never report (this is also in the law) then the district can not dip their fingers in my pie at all (so to speak). 

But, I do Not recommend ignoring the law in your area. 

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:56 AM

^True. There used to be an online form for IN that made it SEEM like you needed to submit it and report you were homeschooling. They took it off the state's website eventually but I agree, if your state does not require it, don't go out of your way to give them more information than they can legally take. But if they do require it, or testing, or whatever else, we should obey the laws of our states and comply. There are a lot of laws I disagree with, but unless they harm me or my children (I can't even think of any that do, offhand), I don't violate them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)