Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Learning Opportunities! Today in History: March 20

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:30 AM
  • 4 Replies

Below are a list of events that took place today in history.
Have you studied or will you be studying any of these events?
Share with us!

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:36 AM

1852Harriet Beecher Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin is published.

1854 – The Republican Party of the United States is organized in Ripon, Wisconsin.

1916Albert Einstein publishes his general theory of relativity.

The above are all things I remember from school.

1933Reichsführer-SS Heinrich Himmler ordered the creation of Dachau Concentration Camp as Chief of Police of Munich and appointed Theodor Eicke as the camp commandant. (I knew this because I visited Dachau when I was 10 years old. It was an experience that changed my life)

Things I remember:
1985Libby Riddles becomes the first woman to win the 1,135-mile Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race.

1990Ferdinand Marcos's widow, Imelda Marcos, goes on trial for bribery, embezzlement, and racketeering. (Who can forget all her shoes!!)

20032003 invasion of Iraq: In the early hours of the morning, the United States and three other countries begin military operations in Iraq.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Did you really visit Dachau? OMG! That would be life changing! I know I would remember every single detail even years later. 

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

1854 – The Republican Party of the United States is organized in Ripon, Wisconsin.

1933Reichsführer-SS Heinrich Himmler ordered the creation of Dachau Concentration Camp as Chief of Police of Munich and appointed Theodor Eicke as the camp commandant. (I knew this because I visited Dachau when I was 10 years old. It was an experience that changed my life)

Things I remember:
1985Libby Riddles becomes the first woman to win the 1,135-mile Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race.

1990Ferdinand Marcos's widow, Imelda Marcos, goes on trial for bribery, embezzlement, and racketeering. (Who can forget all her shoes!!)

20032003 invasion of Iraq: In the early hours of the morning, the United States and three other countries begin military operations in Iraq.

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Yes I did. It was truly the moment in my life that I knew who I was and who I NEVER wanted to be.
In 1982 you could still smell the lingering order of the gas in the chambers. The museum with so many items of the prisoners personal effects was heartbreaking.

Quoting kirbymom:

Did you really visit Dachau? OMG! That would be life changing! I know I would remember every single detail even years later. 

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

Things I remember:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Wow. That is just mind boggling to me.  To be that close to such negative history would just about make me go stir crazy even as a child.  

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

Yes I did. It was truly the moment in my life that I knew who I was and who I NEVER wanted to be.
In 1982 you could still smell the lingering order of the gas in the chambers. The museum with so many items of the prisoners personal effects was heartbreaking.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

Things I remember:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)