Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschool Confrences? *updated with another question*

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:21 PM
  • 7 Replies

So there is one coming up on Sat by me and I've been procrastinating about registering. I'm wondering...what happens during a conference? Is it just a bunch of lectures? I know there'll be some vendors there (part of the reason why I'm interested in going) I know it is $25 to register, but do the classes cost extra? I'm not finding any of that infor on their webpage.. There are 3 I'm interested in (and unfortunatly 2 of them seem to be at the same time :/). I'm also really nervous because I don't do well with tons of people and hubby would have to stay home to watch the kids and I most likely am not going to know a person there. Just thinking about going alone is putting me into panic mode!!
I guess I'm more wondering- is it worth the while to go?

One more question:
Can kids go? I know for here there is a teen thing, but my hubby just backed out on watching the kids and I've got no one now...

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:13 PM
2 moms liked this

In my experience, it's always worthwhile to learn something. I used to go to local hs conferences even before we started hs'ing because they would always have something of interest on child development and learning styles that I could use at home outside of school. So even if I only got to attend one or two classes, it was well worth the attendance fee. And usually the classes are included in the attendance fee.

There will be LOTS of newbies there who don't know anyone, so you won't be alone in your situation. See if there's an orientation period in the morning so you can get to know a couple of people. That way, you'll have someone to sit with at lunchtime. :)

As for hubby staying at home to watch the kids, well, that's his job, too. He'll be just fine and the kids will love some alone-time with dad.

Wear comfy shoes, take a sturdy tote bag and a notebook, and enjoy yourself. :)

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:30 PM
1 mom liked this

It is well worth it. 

All About Home School Conventions

oredeb
by debbie on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:31 PM

well i havent been to one in 28 years or so, so they might be differnt!

but at the ones ive went to we sat at the lectures, the classes didnt cost extra, after all the lectures you can go around the building and fill your bags with advertisements of curr, visit the used curr sale, and all the vendors, its probably changed since then!

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you :)
I'm leaning towards going even more now! I just have to work up my courage...or more likely, overcome this anxiety....and have hubby push that final button for the pre registration to commit it for me before I change my mind again lol. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I have never been to one where we have ever lived, but I sure would like to though. :)  

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:08 PM

To your ETA: Well, shoot. That's worth an irritated huff. Then check the website/FB page to see if they have child care. If it doesn't say, shoot off an e-mail to the coordinator and ask. The worst she can do is say no.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I'm still looking for the contact info for the coordinator. I don't think they have child care tho. On the FB page someone mentioned something about kids, and the response was something along the lines as "parents usually take the day as down time from the kids"
I'm going to go with a probably not then :(  
I hate when he does this to me...I asked him a bagillion times in the last 2 weeks and he said it was all clear...and then today it's, "O nope. Sorry, I have to go to the VA." which are appts made way in advanced... grrrrrrr

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

To your ETA: Well, shoot. That's worth an irritated huff. Then check the website/FB page to see if they have child care. If it doesn't say, shoot off an e-mail to the coordinator and ask. The worst she can do is say no.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)