Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What is YOUR Advice for other Home Schoolers?

Posted by   + Show Post

What do YOU do when you come to a proverbial "bump" in the road and feel that you can't progress any further?  

What are some things that  you do to drive over that "bump" ?

undefined

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:50 PM
Replies (11-20):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I've had this dream! lol 

Quoting No_Difference:

Day dream about the day they turn 12 and can go to military school...

On a more non fantasy note:
We talk about what is causing the "bump" and work out ways that we can get around it together. If those fail, we usually drop it, and pick up something else, and then try again at a later point in time.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel I've been having it too much lately...I've found the exact school that's nearby and ordered brochures that just conveniently lay around the house.. they're catching on ;)

Quoting kirbymom:

I've had this dream! lol 

Quoting No_Difference:

We talk about what is causing the "bump" and work out ways that we can get around it together. If those fail, we usually drop it, and pick up something else, and then try again at a later point in time.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:51 PM

What part s do you attack? :)  

Quoting all2gethernow:

sometimes we take a short break and regroup...sometimes we just attack:) Depends on the situation and energy levels of everyone involved:)

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I had an open conversation about it and conveniently a recruiting officer just happend to stop by that same day and kind of scared the holy jeebers out of them. lol   

Quoting No_Difference:

I feel I've been having it too much lately...I've found the exact school that's nearby and ordered brochures that just conveniently lay around the house.. they're catching on ;)

Quoting kirbymom:

I've had this dream! lol 

Quoting No_Difference:

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:52 PM
2 moms liked this

When I was pregnant with my youngest, my oldest had to come to all the appts with me. She would get so distracting I asked the doctor if I could duct tape her mouth shut during appts. He told me, "my mom did it to me and I turned out fine!" LOL

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

According to a police officer I talked to once, it's only illegal to duct tape them to the ceiling if the cops find out. :)

Honestly, I try to take a step back to assess the problem. Is it just because they're tired? Then rest or switch over to something that uses a different thinking process. Tackle it again the next day. Is it because the method or teaching style isn't meshing? Brainstorm new approaches. My kids are old enough that they can be included in these discussions. Involving them helps them engage with the solution, and also teaches them how to problem solve for themselves.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:53 PM

What do you find that is usually the culprit? Or does it change from situation to situation?  

Quoting lucsch:

I'm a problem solver. So, I step back and think about what isn't working and try to find a different approach.

A break is always good, too!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:54 PM

OMG!! I am falling out of my chair cracking up! LOL!!!  

Quoting No_Difference:

When I was pregnant with my youngest, my oldest had to come to all the appts with me. She would get so distracting I asked the doctor if I could duct tape her mouth shut during appts. He told me, "my mom did it to me and I turned out fine!" LOL

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

According to a police officer I talked to once, it's only illegal to duct tape them to the ceiling if the cops find out. :)

Honestly, I try to take a step back to assess the problem. Is it just because they're tired? Then rest or switch over to something that uses a different thinking process. Tackle it again the next day. Is it because the method or teaching style isn't meshing? Brainstorm new approaches. My kids are old enough that they can be included in these discussions. Involving them helps them engage with the solution, and also teaches them how to problem solve for themselves.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:56 PM

And I bet that after the hike, they are more willing to get some understanding going on too, huh? :)  

Quoting oredeb:

we take a break and grab our packs and go on a nature hike, next day talk about whats not working or whats wrong , pray!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Do you ever feel that your kids miss something because you didn't push them that time, when you break off and go at it again the next day?  

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

all2gethernow
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Oh, whatever it is causing the bump. Attitudes, being unorganized, losing track of goals, etc. sometimes it's just us being tired or over-stimulated (4 kids, teens, many activities and such). Other times we just lose focus and energy. :)

Quoting kirbymom:

What part s do you attack? :)  

Quoting all2gethernow:

sometimes we take a short break and regroup...sometimes we just attack:) Depends on the situation and energy levels of everyone involved:)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN