Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What is YOUR Advice for other Home Schoolers?

Posted by   + Show Post

What do YOU do when you come to a proverbial "bump" in the road and feel that you can't progress any further?  

What are some things that  you do to drive over that "bump" ?

undefined

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:50 PM
Replies (21-30):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:10 PM

What do you do to counter mand those times? I mean, how do you stop and re-group?  

Quoting all2gethernow:

Oh, whatever it is causing the bump. Attitudes, being unorganized, losing track of goals, etc. sometimes it's just us being tired or over-stimulated (4 kids, teens, many activities and such). Other times we just lose focus and energy. :)

Quoting kirbymom:

What part s do you attack? :)  

Quoting all2gethernow:

sometimes we take a short break and regroup...sometimes we just attack:) Depends on the situation and energy levels of everyone involved:)

all2gethernow
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this

hmm...let's see...

We have always homeschooled, and for 7 years I did it as a single, fulltime working mom. That is when I learned what it was all about:) When my kids were small, it was lots of fun and good learning times, and we had all day to explore and get it done. When I become a single mom, however, schedules had to be tight and on time in order to accomplish things-AND, the kids were older and required "more". It was not easy. I learned then, when to pick a battle, and when to take a break.

if, say, we are super busy-like in the late fall, with football, soccer, karate, holidays coming up, etc, and everyone gets tired and cranky. Schoolwork becomes a chore, lessons are not taken as seriously, kids have attitudes, I am burnt out...(I'm in college fulltime as well)...I then have to evaluate...Do I let them take a break and rest up, get refocused, or do I shake them up and get them moving and motivated??? Like I said, it depends on what is going on. For me, regrouping is revisiting our studies more closely, perhaps going to a museum to see something we've been studying in books for too long, or finding a movie that goes with what we are doing. Sometimes it means rethinking our curriculum, or schedule. Sometimes it just means cleaning out our notebooks and shelves and getting a fresh start. When I feel overwhelmed or out of order, I call it a regrouping day-the kids get organized, worksheets get printed, I get my plans back in my head, and then we just start fresh. Sometimes, it's as simple as changing our daily lesson schedule around.

Quoting kirbymom:

What do you do to counter mand those times? I mean, how do you stop and re-group?  

Quoting all2gethernow:

Oh, whatever it is causing the bump. Attitudes, being unorganized, losing track of goals, etc. sometimes it's just us being tired or over-stimulated (4 kids, teens, many activities and such). Other times we just lose focus and energy. :)

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting all2gethernow:

sometimes we take a short break and regroup...sometimes we just attack:) Depends on the situation and energy levels of everyone involved:)

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Awesome. I love learning other perspectives on how to handle things in a different way. :)  Thank you for taking the time to answer my question(s). :0 

Quoting all2gethernow:

hmm...let's see...

We have always homeschooled, and for 7 years I did it as a single, fulltime working mom. That is when I learned what it was all about:) When my kids were small, it was lots of fun and good learning times, and we had all day to explore and get it done. When I become a single mom, however, schedules had to be tight and on time in order to accomplish things-AND, the kids were older and required "more". It was not easy. I learned then, when to pick a battle, and when to take a break.

if, say, we are super busy-like in the late fall, with football, soccer, karate, holidays coming up, etc, and everyone gets tired and cranky. Schoolwork becomes a chore, lessons are not taken as seriously, kids have attitudes, I am burnt out...(I'm in college fulltime as well)...I then have to evaluate...Do I let them take a break and rest up, get refocused, or do I shake them up and get them moving and motivated??? Like I said, it depends on what is going on. For me, regrouping is revisiting our studies more closely, perhaps going to a museum to see something we've been studying in books for too long, or finding a movie that goes with what we are doing. Sometimes it means rethinking our curriculum, or schedule. Sometimes it just means cleaning out our notebooks and shelves and getting a fresh start. When I feel overwhelmed or out of order, I call it a regrouping day-the kids get organized, worksheets get printed, I get my plans back in my head, and then we just start fresh. Sometimes, it's as simple as changing our daily lesson schedule around.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting all2gethernow:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting all2gethernow:

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:41 PM
Seriously! You mean I won't get in trouble if I go through with my threat of duct taping them to the wall.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

According to a police officer I talked to once, it's only illegal to duct tape them to the ceiling if the cops find out. :)

Honestly, I try to take a step back to assess the problem. Is it just because they're tired? Then rest or switch over to something that uses a different thinking process. Tackle it again the next day. Is it because the method or teaching style isn't meshing? Brainstorm new approaches. My kids are old enough that they can be included in these discussions. Involving them helps them engage with the solution, and also teaches them how to problem solve for themselves.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
all2gethernow
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this

anytime:) and, for the record, I was answering you while running the kids from place to place:) Now I need a BREAK:)

Quoting kirbymom:

Awesome. I love learning other perspectives on how to handle things in a different way. :)  Thank you for taking the time to answer my question(s). :0 

Quoting all2gethernow:

hmm...let's see...

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting all2gethernow:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting all2gethernow:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Ha! You go girl! :))  

Quoting all2gethernow:

anytime:) and, for the record, I was answering you while running the kids from place to place:) Now I need a BREAK:)

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting all2gethernow:

hmm...let's see...

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting all2gethernow:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting all2gethernow:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:46 PM

OMG! You girls need to stop! Or I am going to break my chair!! lol  

Quoting Dawn07:

Seriously! You mean I won't get in trouble if I go through with my threat of duct taping them to the wall.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

According to a police officer I talked to once, it's only illegal to duct tape them to the ceiling if the cops find out. :)

Honestly, I try to take a step back to assess the problem. Is it just because they're tired? Then rest or switch over to something that uses a different thinking process. Tackle it again the next day. Is it because the method or teaching style isn't meshing? Brainstorm new approaches. My kids are old enough that they can be included in these discussions. Involving them helps them engage with the solution, and also teaches them how to problem solve for themselves.

lucsch
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this

The problems are as varied as the solutions. :)

Quoting kirbymom:

What do you find that is usually the culprit? Or does it change from situation to situation?  

Quoting lucsch:

I'm a problem solver. So, I step back and think about what isn't working and try to find a different approach.

A break is always good, too!

Rust.n.Gears
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Take a break !

I tell people this all the time. They jump on the homeschool train and don't know how to relax, unwind, and enjoy things without it being educational all the time.

TxMommyOfBoys
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this
We just take a break. Watch movies, read books, go to real life fiels trips (grocery store, my office, etc)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN