Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

End of year test...where required

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:48 PM
  • 27 Replies
If you don't have your child take the standard test at the school what do you have them take when it's required? Every year we have just gone to the school and she has taken the test they give to the PS students (actually it's the test from the year before she has to take) last year my oldest didn't even take Science or the History test but the PS kids had to, doesn't make any sense to me. I really don't want to have to buy the CAT or the TerraNova every year so that's why I bring her to the school. I'm not sure what she will take this year since the Common Core is out. I heard you can write a narration, I'm not sure how that is done though. I actually called the school today to see what they will do but no one was in to answer my question.
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:49 PM
I got this link for grades 3 through 8 for a sample common core test. http://www.edinformatics.com/testing/ny.htm
oredeb
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:58 PM

what state are you? here in oregon we have people that will test kids, you set up a date, pay the lady and she will test at a certain place

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:30 PM

We don't test them through anyone. We test them ourselves. They have to pass a standardized GED book that we have with an average of a B+ or higher or they do not get to move on and graduate. We make up our own litmus tests and we are very strict about getting higher grades.  If you fail or get a low grade, we work on what their weaknesses are so that they are more informed and know the subject matter more intelligently.

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:28 PM
I'm in New York.
Quoting oredeb:

what state are you? here in oregon we have people that will test kids, you set up a date, pay the lady and she will test at a certain place

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Your school district (state) doesn't require your kids to take a test at the end of the year?

Quoting kirbymom:

We don't test them through anyone. We test them ourselves. They have to pass a standardized GED book that we have with an average of a B+ or higher or they do not get to move on and graduate. We make up our own litmus tests and we are very strict about getting higher grades.  If you fail or get a low grade, we work on what their weaknesses are so that they are more informed and know the subject matter more intelligently.

Koltie6
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Texas does not require anything from us . We are considered a private school and not required to report to the state or take any of their tests.

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Your school district (state) doesn't require your kids to take a test at the end of the year?

Quoting kirbymom:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:11 PM
We aren't required to do any testing. I plan on testing them myself when I feel it's needed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:17 PM
The only test mine have to take is the ACT to graduate.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:49 PM

We are not required in my state, so I don't.  At some point I'm sure I will do some testing closer to high school.  

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:21 AM
That would be nice!
Quoting Koltie6:

Texas does not require anything from us . We are considered a private school and not required to report to the state or take any of their tests.

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting kirbymom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)