Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

End of year test...where required

Posted by   + Show Post
If you don't have your child take the standard test at the school what do you have them take when it's required? Every year we have just gone to the school and she has taken the test they give to the PS students (actually it's the test from the year before she has to take) last year my oldest didn't even take Science or the History test but the PS kids had to, doesn't make any sense to me. I really don't want to have to buy the CAT or the TerraNova every year so that's why I bring her to the school. I'm not sure what she will take this year since the Common Core is out. I heard you can write a narration, I'm not sure how that is done though. I actually called the school today to see what they will do but no one was in to answer my question.
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Replies (11-20):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:29 AM

We will be testing with the Terra Nova next year but we only have to do it in certain years.  My soon-to-be 3rd grader will need a test next year.

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Do you have to pay for the test? 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We will be testing with the Terra Nova next year but we only have to do it in certain years.  My soon-to-be 3rd grader will need a test next year.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Yes.  Through our HS group, it is $35 so pretty doable.

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:19 AM

If I take my girls to the school then they take the test the other kids take which is free (but an older test), but I've been thinking about just buying the TerraNova test but then I'd have to find someone that the school will agree to give the test to my girls. I guess I really don't know what I'm going to do this year. The school still hasn't called me back to let me know what test they'd be taking if they took one from the school.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Here in Ohio, we can test or give a portfolio. When I have my oldest tested, I used a Classical Conversions group that opens up for other homeschoolers to test with them.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Are there any groups that you can join that give the test?  The group that gives the test for us is 2 counties away, but I just hate he thought of making Zave go into the school.  He hates that school.  We try to not even drive past it anymore.  He no longer gets panic attacks from it, but he still comments on how much he hated it.  I can't imagine him doing well on a test inside that building.

Quoting blueyedbaker:

If I take my girls to the school then they take the test the other kids take which is free (but an older test), but I've been thinking about just buying the TerraNova test but then I'd have to find someone that the school will agree to give the test to my girls. I guess I really don't know what I'm going to do this year. The school still hasn't called me back to let me know what test they'd be taking if they took one from the school.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I know there are two but I think they are both at least an hour away both in different counties than mine. I'll have to look into it and see if it'd be worth the travel. My girls don't have any issues with the PS but they don't want to go to it unless they have to.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Are there any groups that you can join that give the test?  The group that gives the test for us is 2 counties away, but I just hate he thought of making Zave go into the school.  He hates that school.  We try to not even drive past it anymore.  He no longer gets panic attacks from it, but he still comments on how much he hated it.  I can't imagine him doing well on a test inside that building.

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:20 AM

If my boys didn't have an issue with the PS, I'd probably just take the free test.  We pay those school taxes might as well use the resource, KWIM?

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I know there are two but I think they are both at least an hour away both in different counties than mine. I'll have to look into it and see if it'd be worth the travel. My girls don't have any issues with the PS but they don't want to go to it unless they have to.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:45 PM

If my  kids had issues I wouldn't take them to the school either. That's one issue my husband has(and he has many more) with home schooling, we pay taxes still!  It's so sad that kids can get that traumatized from PS. I know the bulling my youngest went through will always be with her and I feel very sad about that. I just hope my girls never want to go back to PS, that will be a very sad day too!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

If my boys didn't have an issue with the PS, I'd probably just take the free test.  We pay those school taxes might as well use the resource, KWIM?

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:18 PM

My hubby constantly brings up the taxes thing too!

I don't think my oldest will ever want to go back to ps, but I worry about the younger two.  The issues, the bullying fom the other kids And from the teachers. 

Quoting blueyedbaker:

If my  kids had issues I wouldn't take them to the school either. That's one issue my husband has(and he has many more) with home schooling, we pay taxes still!  It's so sad that kids can get that traumatized from PS. I know the bulling my youngest went through will always be with her and I feel very sad about that. I just hope my girls never want to go back to PS, that will be a very sad day too!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)