Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Plug for Killgallon if you have a dyslexic middle schooler struggling with writing

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:01 PM
  • 3 Replies

After half a dozen writing programs that have been total flops, I was persuaded (on another homeschool board) to try Killgallon's Elementary Story Grammar and Elementary Sentence Composing.

They also have Paragraphs for Middle School and Grammar for Middle School, but we very literally needed to start back at sentence structure with my daughter (11).

Before her sentences looked like this:

Thay walkded out the door to go the store (they walked out the door to go to the store)

A week later and a week into Killgallon Story Grammar for Elementary School, her sentences look like this:

The Cullen family stood in frount of the valtory, awaiting there punishment; as Aro walked in, the room was silent. (front; their)

Her spelling still needs work, but this is a HUGE HUGE HUGE improvement - her new sentences are detailed, punctuated (sometimes I have to remind her to go back and punctuate, but she does it on her own after a reminder), and just BETTER.

Killgallon works (at this level; I haven't seen the other levels) by having the student first work to "chunk" sentences (into "sentence parts"), then they imitate sentences, then they are given lists of sentence parts to unscramble and build sentences from, then they are asked to write their own sentences, using a similar structure.

One of the best things about this series is that the sentences they use for imitation and model sentences are from books the kids know - like Harry Potter (loved in our house!) and Charlotte's Web. There are no generic, boring sentences, generated from a computer. Toward the end of the book, the students use their new "skills" to write their own "addition" to a piece of literature given (I believe a new chapter to a Harry Potter book is the lit piece they work on at the end of Story Grammar for Elementary School).

We aren't far into the books yet, but so far, so good. I know good resources for dyslexics can be difficult to find, so I thought I'd share :)

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Thank you.  I'm going to try the elementary ones with my ds.  

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Thanks for sharing this resource and your personal story.  So may I ask are using a spelling currc along with this?  I ask bc I have one who struggles with spelling.  

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:44 PM
apples and pears
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)