Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I need help ASAP piog

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:49 AM
  • 13 Replies

We just had our first meeting with our advisory teacher at the charter school we enrolled at. For the reading and language arts the teacher gave us National Geographic Reach. The teacher manual is making me feel so overwhelmed. Has anyone used this? Luckily we have an extra week due to spring break, so I will start her on Monday after I compose myself. 

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Do you have to use what they gave you?

I've never heard of that program, sorry.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Isn't NGR a Common Core-aligned deal? Or is that something else I'm thinking of?
tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:21 AM
NM. It is.

Yuck.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Good luck! I would help but I've never used it. What is overwhelming?

oredeb
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:27 PM

are you just starting out homechooling?

cuz at first its always overwelming! ive not heard of ngr before gona go look it up!

looked it up it looks fun! how old are they kids?

looks like they read it or you all can read it together to get the most out of it, and talk about some of the questions? maybe you could have them research some of the topics in it they are interested in?

krysta.cole
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:55 PM

As far as I know, we have to pick something from their library.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Do you have to use what they gave you?

I've never heard of that program, sorry.

krysta.cole
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Yuck? I'm feeling yuck about it too. It's just too much crap all over the pages.

Quoting tuffymama:

NM. It is.

Yuck.

krysta.cole
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:58 PM

The teacher manual just has too much info. Too many side notes and do this and do that. Our lesson plan doesn't say whether I have to do every single thing. I'm starting to think I should have just filed a PSA.

Quoting mem82:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Why don't you go ahead and do that (file a PSA)?

Quoting krysta.cole:

The teacher manual just has too much info. Too many side notes and do this and do that. Our lesson plan doesn't say whether I have to do every single thing. I'm starting to think I should have just filed a PSA.

Quoting mem82:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

krysta.cole
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:01 AM

We did just start. I feel very overwhelmed because the teacher manual looks like a foreign language to me. It seems fun and the stories are good but it just seems like the side "notes" in the manual are for more than one child and it's annoying. 

Quoting oredeb:

are you just starting out homechooling?

cuz at first its always overwelming! ive not heard of ngr before gona go look it up!

looked it up it looks fun! how old are they kids?

looks like they read it or you all can read it together to get the most out of it, and talk about some of the questions? maybe you could have them research some of the topics in it they are interested in?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN