Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Netflix for homeschool?

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:06 AM
  • 23 Replies
1 mom liked this
I have heard of people using Netflix to supplement their home educating. Do you do that? What shows do you watch? We have the streaming plan and my boys are 5 and 6. Thanks!

Carmen
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 NKJ

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
paris2lmp
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I've used Dora the Explorer and Go Diego Go for spanish lessons, and varied documentaries for different things.  TedTalks for Kids is fun for "filler" when I want something quick but educational (they are about 15-20 min ea at the most)  Also, on occasion, if there is a movie based on a book we have read then I will have them watch the movie and point out the differences/similarities.  We stream Netflix through our wii, which also has a YouTube channel now, so I will occasionally use YouTube instead.  It depends on the subject we are working on.

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Never heard of doing that (we don't have Netflix though so it wouldn't help me). We get books from the library for Science and History to fill in where needed.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

MYTHBUSTERS!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:25 AM

My kids like the animal planet and nature shows, too.

WantedNameTaken
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

We use it for documentaries and movies that are based on novels.

DesireMM
by Desire' on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:52 AM

We use it for documentaries and nature shows. The kids and I went through the shows to find ones they liked and then built lesson plans to go along with the videos.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

We watched The entire Walking With Dinosaurs series, Zave watched the documentary The Dark Ages, and we're looking into the food documentaries for our Health and Nutrition units later.  DH and I make sure that we pre-view everything because some stuff is inappropriate for our age groups (4, 6, and almost 8)

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Mythbusters my ds's favorite right now, but he also enjoys military docs and anything survival related. We've used a lot of PBS docs and some of the History Channel ones. Its easier now since my kids are older, I'm not having to filter as much material now. There is a lot more to choose from now. Its hard to find science-themed ones that teach from a Creationist standpoint, so we just kind of avoid the science ones. 

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:51 AM
We don't get streaming but we get DVD in the mail & yes we rent educational ones when we see ones that interest us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rust.n.Gears
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I do that. We watch things all the time. Mainly National Geographic and the History channel. But they have so much it is hard to list.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)