Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
I have heard of people using Netflix to supplement their home educating. Do you do that? What shows do you watch? We have the streaming plan and my boys are 5 and 6. Thanks!

Carmen
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 NKJ

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Replies (11-20):
SuperMommy408
by Tamara on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:12 PM
We watch leapfrog and prehistoric things and national geographic stuff also!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids love Netflix! We do the streaming and the DVD.  You can watch so much that can be for educational purposes.  

coala
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:45 PM

We have done Leap Frog movies that we don't own, watched documentaries, and I found a show with mice that is about detecive work....and the first in the series was about Monet.  It was pretty neat, but haven't been able to get the kids interested again.  We have also watched movies based on a play that we are going to see with the HS group.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:46 PM

My kids only watch pbs, or nick jr shows for the 30 min shows.  We use documentaries and even my 4 year old will sit down.  They love all the dinosaur and animal documentaries.  Trying to get them into the history ones but no such luck.  They also like How its Made and Dirty Jobs.

jeweldragons
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I'm not sure.  I have the Netflix DVD plan.  I have 500 DVDs on there (just sent back Breaking Dawn Part 2 today).  I have some children movies, Disney movies, educational movies, live movies.  Whatever suits my fancy.  Never thought of using it for home school.

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:35 PM
We watch documentaries, movies based on books, there is so much you can use.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:41 PM

We do leapfrog also and my 7 year old just finished Walking with Monsters and they are currently watching Beakmans World.

ballerina.2006
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:43 PM

We watch Dirty Jobs and Mythbusters for science/social studies on occasion :) My kids have learned a LOT from those shows and we enjoy having the 45min family tv time!

amandae21
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:22 PM

DD watches Beakman's World sometimes during lunch. (a science show from the 90s)

We also find movies about whatever we're learning... for instance, while studying the ocean, we watched a NatGeo show called Amazing Planet. They also have episodes about volcanoes etc.

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Ooh! I forgot about Beakman's World. I'm so glad I read this thread! Dirty Jobs is also a really good idea. We've watched a number of the Scholastic book DVDs from Netflix.

I watch a lot of foreign films I can't find elsewhere. A good French romantic comedy is so nice when I want to forget the horrible stories from the news. German art films can challenge my knowledge and my personal notions of art. I have really enjoyed some Israeli movies recently, and there are more Jewish-Muslim relationship movies out there than you might think.

I rented John Candy movies so often, that I have finally bought most of them. It's rainy today, and it's perfect weather for Summer Rental or Uncle Buck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN