Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Common Core in public schools

Posted by   + Show Post

Has anyone else heard about this? I don't always agree with Glenn Beck, but this was interesting and alarming, IMO. I hadn't heard it before I watched this. Makes me glad I'm home educating.

http://truthinamericaneducation.com/common-core-state-standards/full-glenn-beck-show-on-common-core/

(Not sure why I can't make it clickable. The insert link is grayed out)

Carmen
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 NKJ

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Replies (11-20):
oredeb
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:28 PM

thanks somuch!!!

Quoting somuchlove4U:

http://www.theeducationalfreedomcoalition.org/p/explicitly-aligned-resources.html?m=0

oredeb
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:30 PM

heres some of whats on the link somuch gave us!

Who Is Explicitly Aligned

These companies - listed in alphabetical order - have indicated that they have chosen to align their materials with the CCS. Some have made relatively small changes, and others have completely overhauled their products. However, in all cases, they have made explicit changes to their materials in order to accommodate the CCS and clearly advertise their alignment.

Companies marked with a (-) failed to respond directly to our queries so we had to take our information from their websites. However, we were careful to be sure each company made a clear statement on its site before choosing to list it here.

Be sure to check the NOTES below for additional information.

ALEKS (-)
American School
BJU Press (-)
BYU Independent Study
Calvert School (-)
Carson-Dellosa (Spectrum, etc.) (-)
Compass Learning (-)
The Complete Curriculum
Core Knowledge Curriculum
Curriculum Services
Destination Math (-)
eLearningk12 (1)
Explode the Code (EPS Books) (-)
Global Student Network (2)
Hake Writing (3)
Handwriting without Tears
IXL (-)
K5 Learning
K12
Khan Academy
Kinetic Books
Loyola Press (Voyages in English, etc.)
Math Mammoth (everything except Blue and Green) (4)
Math-U-See (5)
Moving Beyond the Page
Moving with Math (-)
Reading Horizons (6)
Right Start Math (2nd Edition) (7)
Sadlier-Oxford
Saxon (public school version) (8)
Shurley English (-)
Singapore (everything except the US Edition of Primary Mathematics)
Sitton Spelling (EPS Books) (-)
Starfall (-)
Time4Learning
Touch Math (-)
Vocabulary from Classical Roots (EPS Books) (-)
Wordly Wise (EPS Books) (-)
Writing Road to Reading (-)

NOTES:

(1) eLearningk12 uses Compass Learning, which is totally aligned, as its base. The eLearningk12 program allows parents to customize which lessons children do, but all the lessons are aligned.

(2) Global Student Network has fully aligned a new edition of all its materials, but it is also steadfastly committed to keeping its original versions unaligned. The company believes in giving homeschool families a choice.

(3) Hake Writing has added a few lessons to each of its books to accommodate CCS expectations. Hake isn't necessarily a CCS fan and the lessons were added at the ends of the books in the expectation that most students would never get to them in a school year, but they are there.

(4) The publisher of Math Mammoth is completely in favor of CCS/national standards. The only reason she did not align her Blue and Green series is because it didn't seem feasible, given that they are arranged topically, not by grade level. If she could align them, she would.

(5) Math-U-See hasn't changed its scope and sequence, but it has added pages in all of its books through Zeta in order to align with CCS. The company also explicitly advertises its CCS-alignment.

(6) Reading Horizons has no interest in aligning 100% with CCS. However, it did "[add] a few morphology lessons to improve alignment," and it has created informational pieces to how the program does align.

(7) Right Start indicates that 2nd Edition materials - coming out beginning in March, 2013 – are fully aligned with the CCS.

(8) Saxon made a very explicit statement that, while the public school version is aligned, the homeschool version is not aligned and will not be aligned.

amandae21
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Does anyone have a good link to an article? I only wish I had time to watch the video. I just finished watching a 1-hr documentary... it took me 5 times over 3 days sitting down and rew/ff to find where I left off.

IntlMom12
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Thank you for sharing this. Most of those I hadn't heard of buta few Ihad and I even have Handwriting Without Tears here. I got it because everyone said how great it was but I have to admit that I'm not crazy about it. Maybe this is why.

Quoting somuchlove4U:

http://www.theeducationalfreedomcoalition.org/p/explicitly-aligned-resources.html?m=0

Carmen
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 NKJ

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:59 PM
What's sad is that the majority of parents have no idea this is happening. The few that do have no idea that federal involvement in education is illegal. The masses just take for granted that govt has that authority.
momtomiles
by New Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:43 PM
They are shoving down the teachers' throats where I live.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:12 PM
They track the kids from preschool on up? Where did you hear this? That scares me! Mine have all been in preschool but we are under an umbrella school now...though they may take that right away also I'm guessing. I do not want to be forced to comply. Any other free countries out there? Lol

Quoting oredeb:

wow am i glad i never reported our homeschooling, i just heard they track the kids now from preschool to adult hood starting in the schools

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:13 PM
I will have to watch that video when I get time.
rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Nevermind Oredeb - just heard it on the video!  Scary!!!  Do you all think that if they are aligning the SATs to it, we will eventually need to teach it if our children want to go to college?

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:37 AM

We use several of these - Compass Learning, IXL, Handwriting without Tears.  The charter school we go through uses BYU also.  Hmm...I'll have to look more into this

Quoting oredeb:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)