Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Common Core in public schools

Posted by   + Show Post

Has anyone else heard about this? I don't always agree with Glenn Beck, but this was interesting and alarming, IMO. I hadn't heard it before I watched this. Makes me glad I'm home educating.

http://truthinamericaneducation.com/common-core-state-standards/full-glenn-beck-show-on-common-core/

(Not sure why I can't make it clickable. The insert link is grayed out)

Carmen
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 NKJ

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Replies (21-30):
IntlMom12
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I am going to be attending a HS Conference and curriculum fair here in Nebraska next month. I am planning on asking the companies who didn't respond if they are using the CC. It's probably not as easy to ignore a person standing in front of them as it is a phone call or email.

Carmen
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 NKJ

JTROX
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Many states have accepted the common core standards.  We have started implementing them at my school.

oredeb
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:53 AM

good idea, and maybe ask them what its really all about!

Quoting IntlMom12:

I am going to be attending a HS Conference and curriculum fair here in Nebraska next month. I am planning on asking the companies who didn't respond if they are using the CC. It's probably not as easy to ignore a person standing in front of them as it is a phone call or email.

oredeb
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:54 AM

jtrox what do you know about the cc?? what do you think about it?

Quoting JTROX:

Many states have accepted the common core standards.  We have started implementing them at my school.

JTROX
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

It is more strenuous than other standards.  The purpose of cc is to have a more standard set of expectations for American students.  There is a lot of focus on 21st century skills and preparing kids for the real world/workforce.  Our school started working on cc starting with math.  It has been a big adjustment for kids, parents, and teachers.  I lot of work and covering topics sooner.

The idea behind cc is good.  I have compared different states and their standards.  Children are learning at different rates depending on what state they live in.   I think it is good to have a more generalized expectation of what level of education American students are receiving.  45 states have adopted the cc standards.

Quoting oredeb:

Quoting JTROX:

oredeb
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

thanks jtrox!!! good explanation!!!

Quoting JTROX:

It is more strenuous than other standards.  The purpose of cc is to have a more standard set of expectations for American students.  There is a lot of focus on 21st century skills and preparing kids for the real world/workforce.  Our school started working on cc starting with math.  It has been a big adjustment for kids, parents, and teachers.  I lot of work and covering topics sooner.

The idea behind cc is good.  I have compared different states and their standards.  Children are learning at different rates depending on what state they live in.   I think it is good to have a more generalized expectation of what level of education American students are receiving.  45 states have adopted the cc standards.

Quoting oredeb:

Quoting JTROX:

QueenCreole313
by Julia on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I tend to like the idea too. I've started speaking with the educators around me and in my family. I like the idea of having a national standard but ultimately think the teaching techniques, curriculum, etc. should be made on a local level. And, as an optimist I think it will be. 

Norway does the same thing. They have abroad national standard but still allow the teacher's the freedom to do as they wish. I just wish it wasn't so focused on standardized tests. That's my biggest concern. Just because you are a good test taker doesn't make you a good student, visa versa. 

JTROX
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:59 AM

You're welcome!  :)

Quoting oredeb:

thanks jtrox!!! good explanation!!!

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting oredeb:

Quoting JTROX:

OneToughMami
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Teachers are not really into the Common Core Standards. I have a binder of Common Core Standards and the regular PA Standards for my lesson plans. It's such a pain in the rear when I have classes for my Masters and I HAVE to put the standards. They are just ridiculously vague and you end up with 10.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:38 AM

bolded part - I agree. Even within a state, what is taught at each grade level varies between school systems.

I grew up going K-8 in one city, then moved to a neighboring county for the start of 9th grade, and was L-O-S-T in math! And I was a good (As and Bs) student in math all along - but the new school district taught math at a higher level each grade level, so that even by 10th grade, I was barely at 'average.' 

It would certainly make it easier for children who move around a lot, to have a more standard set of curricula. 

I also read one of the supposed "downsides" to CC is that it prepares students for 2-year colleges rather than Ivy League.... Um, Hello.... most people don't go to Ivy League schools. I am not saying the brightest shouldn't have that opportunity, but I think preparing high schoolers for a 2 year degree or even a 4 year degree at an 'average' state school is a good goal. 

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting oredeb:

Quoting JTROX:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)