Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Writing a novel

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:29 AM
  • 14 Replies
2 moms liked this

I just had to share that we are really liking making a novel. I got the link from a mom on here. We are doing the novel for writing class. Even though it says to take a month to write it I think we'll probably end up taking longer. I haven't read through the whole thing yet I know there are different stages to each part but it's really neat and perfect for my 10 year old. 

This is in PDF:

http://ywp.nanowrimo.org/files/ywp/Elementary_School_Workbook_Customizable_V2.pdf

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:48 AM

COOL

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:51 AM

That's awesome!

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I know! I'm going to do the same with my first grader too, see what she comes up with. She has more of an imagination than my fifth grader.

Quoting mem82:

COOL

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Very cool!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:47 PM

That's wonderful for you. :)   

jeweldragons
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I haven't managed to write a novel in a month and I'm an author lol.  My book Broken Borders took me 12 months total to finish (6 months to plan out and then 6 months to write).  I would wager Locked In took maybe 2-3 months but I was just writing as the story came to me.  All I had was an idea and made it come to life. 

Writing a novel in a month would be a tricky adventure but I think that's kind of neat.

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:39 PM
I'm pretty sure that it's in stages. The first part takes 20 days (It state that it starts in November)then the next step takes 30 days and so on. I haven't looked any further that the first part but I'm sure that is how it goes. So I think for kids taking a month to think of an idea and get it down is good, what do you think? Did you look over the link? Please tell me what you think of it if you do check it out. I'd love to hear from an actual writer.
Quoting jeweldragons:

I haven't managed to write a novel in a month and I'm an author lol.  My book Broken Borders took me 12 months total to finish (6 months to plan out and then 6 months to write).  I would wager Locked In took maybe 2-3 months but I was just writing as the story came to me.  All I had was an idea and made it come to life. 

Writing a novel in a month would be a tricky adventure but I think that's kind of neat.

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:29 PM

NaNoWriMo - the grownup version, at least - sets aside the month of November to blast out 50K words of one story. At the end, you still really don't have a novel, but you're much closer to one than you were on Oct 31. :)

Most of us take MUCH longer to draft a complete and polished novel, beginning to end. Heck, it takes me longer than a month to write a novella!

While NaNo doesn't work for the way I write, I *love* that it challenges people to set aside time and focus on their dreams. So many people say, "I'm going to write a novel" and then never get around to it. With NaNo, there's so much support that it makes the challenge less lonely.

jeweldragons
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I'm pretty sure that it's in stages. The first part takes 20 days (It state that it starts in November)then the next step takes 30 days and so on. I haven't looked any further that the first part but I'm sure that is how it goes. So I think for kids taking a month to think of an idea and get it down is good, what do you think? Did you look over the link? Please tell me what you think of it if you do check it out. I'd love to hear from an actual writer.
Quoting jeweldragons:

I think that's plenty of time to plan out a main character, supporting characters, villian, settng, plot, etc. for a 10 year old. I did look over the link and I think it is okay. What I did with Broken Borders is I planned out each chapter with a main idea in a circle and then picked four other ideas supporting the main idea. I wish I had the character sheet my Creative Writing teacher had us do in 11th grade when we were writing short stories. I hope to get Broken Borders into publishing this year (has already been accepted). Now if say your daughter decides to publish it then I recommend sending it to an editor who can professionally edit it or if she can have a teacher or you or a family member edit it. I am not sure if she would be able to publish it at her age. I think the youngest author I have heard of was 14 years old when she published her first book. If you want you can inquire with my publisher if she ever decides to publish it. My publisher is Llumina (www.llumina.com).
blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I thought it was really neat that they make it for children. I've never come across anything like that, that outlines everything for kids.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

NaNoWriMo - the grownup version, at least - sets aside the month of November to blast out 50K words of one story. At the end, you still really don't have a novel, but you're much closer to one than you were on Oct 31. :)

Most of us take MUCH longer to draft a complete and polished novel, beginning to end. Heck, it takes me longer than a month to write a novella!

While NaNo doesn't work for the way I write, I *love* that it challenges people to set aside time and focus on their dreams. So many people say, "I'm going to write a novel" and then never get around to it. With NaNo, there's so much support that it makes the challenge less lonely.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)