Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are you starting to feel pressure to get your curriculum finished for the year?

Posted by   + Show Post

Does the approaching summer make you feel like you need to pick up the pace?

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Replies (31-40):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:28 PM
I make a list of all the books they've read, I keep math papers from each section -just enough to show what they learned. Same thing with Science and a list of experiments. I list what classes or field trips we have done. Just stuff like that. Maybe 20 papers all told. If you find someone to do the interview, ask what they expect to see. Usually, they chitchat with the kid and a conversation just flows.

Quoting blueyedbaker:

That's really neat. So this is what you do? How do you go about getting everything ready, what do you do?

Quoting mem82:

I'm on mobile so bare with me. Look under where it says new york homeschool regulations. It is called the narrative option, section 2 of the annual review section.

New York Homeschool Educators Network (nyhen)

www.nyhen.org/index.htm

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Sorry I didn't see this reply until after I replied to your other post. Fill me in please, do you have the link you checked out?

Quoting mem82:

I checked. You dont have to test. You can have a review. Have you considered the option?

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I wish I lived where you do! I'm in NY. I have to send in quarterly reports, and the kids have to take the state test at the end of the year. It really sucks because we can't do what we want to do because we have to make sure we cover what will be on that test or else they won't do good and then that reflex bad on me and then who knows what they will do!

Quoting rsrangel:

We don't follow the curriculums pace, we follow each kids pace. So if they get ahead I'll go ahead and get the next level in that subject. If they get behind then we slow down. We don't have to keep portfolios, take any tests or do evaluations, so not feeling any pressure here! Just going with the flow, getting out to enjoy our beautiful weather as much as we can, and loving life!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:36 PM

How did you find someone to do it?

Quoting mem82:

I make a list of all the books they've read, I keep math papers from each section -just enough to show what they learned. Same thing with Science and a list of experiments. I list what classes or field trips we have done. Just stuff like that. Maybe 20 papers all told. If you find someone to do the interview, ask what they expect to see. Usually, they chitchat with the kid and a conversation just flows.

Quoting blueyedbaker:

That's really neat. So this is what you do? How do you go about getting everything ready, what do you do?

Quoting mem82:

I'm on mobile so bare with me. Look under where it says new york homeschool regulations. It is called the narrative option, section 2 of the annual review section.

www.nyhen.org/index.htm

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Sorry I didn't see this reply until after I replied to your other post. Fill me in please, do you have the link you checked out?

Quoting mem82:

I checked. You dont have to test. You can have a review. Have you considered the option?

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I wish I lived where you do! I'm in NY. I have to send in quarterly reports, and the kids have to take the state test at the end of the year. It really sucks because we can't do what we want to do because we have to make sure we cover what will be on that test or else they won't do good and then that reflex bad on me and then who knows what they will do!

Quoting rsrangel:

We don't follow the curriculums pace, we follow each kids pace. So if they get ahead I'll go ahead and get the next level in that subject. If they get behind then we slow down. We don't have to keep portfolios, take any tests or do evaluations, so not feeling any pressure here! Just going with the flow, getting out to enjoy our beautiful weather as much as we can, and loving life!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Here in Ohio, I belong to several Yahoo groups on homeschooling and asking around there gets answers. Some advertise on there, too. The going rate around here is 40 bucks and a lot of ps teachers moonlight. Lol Our homeschool gym teacher is actually a certified teacher so he sets up shop at a playground about 3 times a Spring and he interviews kids and looks at their work while everyone plays. He will also do private appointments.
There is a woman that does them in person or you mail your work to her and she does a phone interview.

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting mem82:

www.nyhen.org/index.htm

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting rsrangel:

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Ok that gives me some ideas, thank you so much for taking the time to help me!

Quoting mem82:

Here in Ohio, I belong to several Yahoo groups on homeschooling and asking around there gets answers. Some advertise on there, too. The going rate around here is 40 bucks and a lot of ps teachers moonlight. Lol Our homeschool gym teacher is actually a certified teacher so he sets up shop at a playground about 3 times a Spring and he interviews kids and looks at their work while everyone plays. He will also do private appointments.
There is a woman that does them in person or you mail your work to her and she does a phone interview.

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting mem82:

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Come on down!!!

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting rsrangel:

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this

After Christmas I was really stressing out about "being behind."  Another mom told me that she used to get like that, and then she realized that it will all work out.  It's going to be okay.  Take a week here and there, maybe a month, then go back to it.  As long as they are learning, then that's what matters.  We're not bound by public school's schedule.  We dont have to be done when everyone else is done, and we can take breaks when we want to. That's one of the great things about homeschooling.  Since then I've calmed down a lot about it, and things have actually been going a lot smoother! :)

101stwife
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:01 PM

This is our first full year of home schooling, so a bit. I am still struggling with the feeling like we have to do things the way brick and mortar schools do them. I don't plan on taking off the full summer though. I want to school year round and take days off as we need to.

I will say though, even though we aren't finished with all of this years curriculum I am ready to buy for next year lol. I wasn't happy with our history or language arts so I am ready to try something new.

Aleshad01
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:22 PM
We are on track to be done at the end of May.
lucsch
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Pressure, sort of. We have just finished 90% of our curriculum for the year. So, now, I'm trying to decide what to do for the next 45 days of school (our state requires a certain number of days of school per calendar year).

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Mar. 23, 2013 at 3:06 AM
No hot really. Most of the books we are studying this year ere meant to roll over into a couple of years.
I do however want DS(7) to have his math finished by the end of April. Dd(5) has already started on next years math.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN