Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Okay, I need some advice from the outside. Come help me!

Posted by   + Show Post

Okay, Missie (11) is doing awesome in Math. We are in Pre Algebra and should be starting Algebra somewhere around October. Here is the thing. She can do the problems fine. She can use the formulas, she can understand what she is supposed to be doing. Where she fails is at the simple multiplication and long division. She KNOWS how to do that, too. I don't know whether she gets distracted or lazy or what. Here is an example.

We are doing Ratios right now. She has been able (by that I mean, we have studied them and she understands how to work the problems and does the set up perfectly fine) to do them and Proportions for a week. The problem I run into is that she is doing the problem right but multiplying wrong. Not in a 'she doesn't know her multiplication tables' kind of way. She just...zones out or something. Today, (just like the 3 days before this) Missie does the first 7 problems completely right. Then, she makes simple mistakes on the next 4. As in she went to divide 10 into 120 and answered 7. The next problem is that she wrote a little sloppy and did the subtraction in the long division wrong because she didn't read it right. These are failing grades because of stupid errors. She CAN do it. She WANTS to do it. She just keeps doing stupid things. I'm going to go nuts!

This has held us up this entire year. These same darn little mistakes. We went BACK and relearned multiplication just to make sure she understood it. She does.

I don't know what to do. What would you guys do? Should I keep moving her forward because she knows HOW to do it? Should I make her get a passing grade before moving on? I am seriously at the end of my rope.

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Replies (11-20):
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:51 PM

This is the way I was looking at it (bear with me it is an analogy)

When I was learning to drive My Dad tried to teach me to drive a standard, I sucked at it even though I knew what to do & how it all worked I couldn't make my brain & body coordinate to do it. My Hubby tried to teach me how to drive one years later because our first car was a standard & he didn't want to have to drive me every where. Again I couldn't do it even though I knew how & understood it I just couldn't pull it off. Now I am a good driver have been driving a long time but I still can't drive a standard to save my life but that hasn't stopped me from being a good driver. So my thought was if she understands it &  knows how it works but can't put it in to practise doesn't mean she will struggle doing other math KWIM.

I hope this made some sence!

Quoting mem82:

I want to move on, but I'm afraid that if she doesn't have a strong base she won't do well in her high Math.

Quoting usmom3:

If she understands it I would move on.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:59 PM

LOL No, it did make sense and is a good point. I just get worried that if she can't actually pass tests or what not because she is focusing on things, she is going to basically flunk out of everything. It would be easier is she DIDN"T  understand how to do it or the she COULDN't do it.

Quoting usmom3:

When I was learning to drive My Dad tried to teach me to drive a standard, I sucked at it even though I knew what to do & how it all worked I couldn't make my brain & body coordinate to do it. My Hubby tried to teach me how to drive one years later because our first car was a standard & he didn't want to have to drive me every where. Again I couldn't do it even though I knew how & understood it I just couldn't pull it off. Now I am a good driver have been driving a long time but I still can't drive a standard to save my life but that hasn't stopped me from being a good driver. So my thought was if she understands it &  knows how it works but can't put it in to practise doesn't mean she will struggle doing other math KWIM.

Quoting mem82:

I want to move on, but I'm afraid that if she doesn't have a strong base she won't do well in her high Math.

Quoting usmom3:

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:07 PM

You could always move on & if she starts to struggle go back & redo the other again! I think this kind of worrying is normal for us Moms that take full responsibility for all things in our children's lives.

Quoting mem82:

LOL No, it did make sense and is a good point. I just get worried that if she can't actually pass tests or what not because she is focusing on things, she is going to basically flunk out of everything. It would be easier is she DIDN"T  understand how to do it or the she COULDN't do it.

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting usmom3:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:10 PM

It's true. i get caught up in a cycle of worry and it takes forever to escape it.

Quoting usmom3:

You could always move on & if she starts to struggle go back & redo the other again! I think this kind of worrying is normal for us Moms that take full responsibility for all things in our children's lives.

Quoting mem82:

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting usmom3:

bether89
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:11 PM

I have been dealing with the same thing with my almost 10 year old with math.  I have been going back over the material to make sure that he understands the concept and most of the time he does.  I tell him to check his work after he finishes to make sure that he has multipled, subtracted,  or added correctly.  It seems to be that he doesn't focus on the little details the way he should.  I made him take his last 2 math tests over because he missed too many problems with just little errors that he should have caught himself, if he had checked his work.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:14 PM

it must be in the water!

Quoting bether89:

I have been dealing with the same thing with my almost 10 year old with math.  I have been going back over the material to make sure that he understands the concept and most of the time he does.  I tell him to check his work after he finishes to make sure that he has multipled, subtracted,  or added correctly.  It seems to be that he doesn't focus on the little details the way he should.  I made him take his last 2 math tests over because he missed too many problems with just little errors that he should have caught himself, if he had checked his work.

bekalynne440
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:15 PM
It could still be add. My husband and I both have adult add, though his is more mild than mine (our poor kids, lol). I can sit and crochet for quite some time, or read a book I'm really interested in for 3 hours at a time. I can also sit to read and have to re-read a paragraph 10 times only to still not know what it says or struggle with a conversation at times because my mind can't stay on topic (though my good friends seem to handle it well). That sounds like a possibility for your daughter. Perhaps she is losing focus after the first few minutes.

Quoting mem82:

Not to sound stupid, but I don't think it can be ADD. She can read for hours and can also crochet for long periods of time completely focused. I don't know that much about ADD, honestly.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

It sounds like a lil bit of "inattentive ADD".. I have issues with that as does my middle DS.

He is worse than me and loses focus after about 10 min then he needs to stand up, move around, get a drink and refocus.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Okay. You would know better than anyone. :)  Sorry that I couldn't have been more help to you. 

Quoting mem82:

Thanks 8)

I don't think it is processing, though, just because she can explain, and do it. She UNDERSTANDS, she just gets the little details wrong after a few problems. 8(

Quoting kirbymom:

OMG mem! I know how you feel! I have gone through this multiple times with my kids. Sometimes you just don't know if they are just being stubborn or not. Well, just from what I have read here, it sounds like Missie is having processing problems. Her issue is how her brain processes what she is seeing. I know, because I have the same thing. I also have a mild to terrible case of dyslexia, which is also a brain processing issue. What you need to do is find out how she sees the problem bytalking the problem through from the beginning to the end. Discuss the problem at legnth form different angles. If the problem can be written several different ways, then write down those different ways and talk it through. She will let you know what is up by how she tells you what she is seeing and what she interprets what she is seeing. Then, from that, you can write a lesson based on the answers she gives you and you will then be able to compare the two different ways that her math has been presented to her. Then you can do the same thing with the rest of her subjects and do any adjustment needed.  

Quoting mem82:

Okay, Missie (11) is doing awesome in Math. We are in Pre Algebra and should be starting Algebra somewhere around October. Here is the thing. She can do the problems fine. She can use the formulas, she can understand what she is supposed to be doing. Where she fails is at the simple multiplication and long division. She KNOWS how to do that, too. I don't know whether she gets distracted or lazy or what. Here is an example.

We are doing Ratios right now. She has been able (by that I mean, we have studied them and she understands how to work the problems and does the set up perfectly fine) to do them and Proportions for a week. The problem I run into is that she is doing the problem right but multiplying wrong. Not in a 'she doesn't know her multiplication tables' kind of way. She just...zones out or something. Today, (just like the 3 days before this) Missie does the first 7 problems completely right. Then, she makes simple mistakes on the next 4. As in she went to divide 10 into 120 and answered 7. The next problem is that she wrote a little sloppy and did the subtraction in the long division wrong because she didn't read it right. These are failing grades because of stupid errors. She CAN do it. She WANTS to do it. She just keeps doing stupid things. I'm going to go nuts!

This has held us up this entire year. These same darn little mistakes. We went BACK and relearned multiplication just to make sure she understood it. She does.

I don't know what to do. What would you guys do? Should I keep moving her forward because she knows HOW to do it? Should I make her get a passing grade before moving on? I am seriously at the end of my rope.

Joann.HS
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Sounds like she's just making careless mistakes. I would lay off it a couple days. Then come back with however many problems you would like her to master in one sitting and tell her if she tries her best to get as many correctly as possible you will (insert maybe a small bribe here). It maybe pretty telling.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:09 PM

what i do for this (we call them dumb mistakes) is charge them 5 cents a mistake,  that sure helped these kids! spending their hard earned money on math mistakes was not something they liked

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN