Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

hello, I'm Jess and am now homeschooling my 7 yr old son. I'm in need of good advice, so please share any tricks of the trade. Thanks.

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Replies (11-15):
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:53 PM
2 moms liked this

My children are grown, but I still give home school workshops, and I also tutor.  My success rate is so unusually high that three college  professors are now asking me to come to their classes to teach my method  to their students. 

The basic learning styles are explained in video format at the following link:   Learning Styles

The Conventional method used in Public Schools is left brain teaching (workbooks, flash cards, lectures, sit down at a desk work), and it reaches about 45% of the kids.  The other 55% are like round pegs being forced into square wholes. This is particularly true with active children.   I have also learned that by using whole brain teaching one reaches  all the learning styles so that 90% o f  the children are learning. With this method , children learn faster, retain more,  stress is reduced, drop out rates decrease by 90%, and they love it.

Whole brain teaching simply means involving as many senses in the learning process as possible (games and real life experiences). Home schooling lends itself to this method very easily, because when you home school, the whole world is  your classroom.  A trip to the grocery store becomes a lesson in weights, math, and reading.  My little brother was fascinated by monopoly which turned into a lesson in reading, math, and money counting. Building a fort with your son becomes a lesson in geometry, architecture, measuring, reading....

How To Create Your Own Lesson Plans gives one a template so that you are sure to teach your objectives, and Grade Level Requirements gives you some direction for your objectives. 

Lesson Plans That Motivate also has some good ideas. 

Whole brain teahcing is a lot easier than trying to force an active child to sit at a desk and do workbooks. 

Quoting locomomma3196:

Quoting kirbymom:

Hi Jess!  Welcome to the group!  :)  

Have you looked into your states homeschool laws yet? Something else you should consider is your son 's learning style.  How does he learn?  Are you wanting to buy a fully put together curriculum or piece it together or would you like to make your own?  

We are here in Texas so there are not many laws regarding how we hs. River is excited to be at home and says he cant believe how much time they wasted at school. As far as curriculum gos i am just putting things together on my own for now, but am looking for a full curriculum for 2 grade. River is a very intelligent high energy boy, he loves math and anything number or pattern related.

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:00 PM

 Welcome to the group!good luck

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:42 AM

  I'm new too! I'm starting in Sept. Why did you decide to start hsing? Where are you from?

by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Welcome to the group!

by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting URHonor:

  I'm new too! I'm starting in Sept. Why did you decide to start hsing? Where are you from?

we are here in Texas. The main reason i started homeschooling is because River is very advanced in math,science,and comprehension, but really needed some help with reading. I didn't feel like he was able to get the individual help that he needed to succeed in all areas. I firmly believe that all children learn differently and that if they are struggling with something in particular then the best way to overcome the issue is to approach it in a different manner. To me its all about the approach. There was no way we could get this approach in public school. Beyond that i felt that his character was being stifled, and knew that i could better meet my child's needs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)