Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My son's ps teacher wants a conference about homeschooling

Posted by   + Show Post
D is finishing up his Kindergarten year and the teacher asked for a conference. She's doing meetings with all the parents regarding placement for next year, so I said no, it wasn't necessary since he is going to be homeschooled. She cornered me at the Easter party today to say she knew he wouldn't be in ps, but she wants to discuss with me my hs plans and hear what she thinks he needs to be doing, not just academically but socially. I was pretty taken aback. It's one thing for her to tell me what levels he's on, but to want to know all the details about me homeschooling seems intrusive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Replies (21-30):
twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like she needs to mind her own business. I would let her know I was doing what I thought was best & not what she wanted...heck if you follow HER plan you may as well not hs at all.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by Kristin on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:49 PM

I agree.  I wouldn't go either.

Quoting Knightquester:

I wouldn't do a meeting with her as it's a waste of time.  It's her chance to talk you into not homeschooling or into doing it her way. 

DG123
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:00 PM

I had a pleasant chat with my child's teacher after we decided to homeschool.  I was expecting a lecture, but she was very helpful and reasured me that homeschooling was a great option.  

Christie1952
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:02 AM

You should listen to her ideas and then tell her that you have not decided exactly what you are going to be doing. She needs to concentrate on her job, not yours! 

liliem
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Maybe she just wants to tell you what she has experienced with him that may be beneficial for you to know. I don't know why the assumption is she's going to question you. My parent conference meetings were always the teachers proving to me that they were doing their best with my child not them telling me how to do anything. I was usually the one helping them do their job. Just another perspective...

oredeb
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:06 AM

maybe shes interested in homeschooling herself?? since she knows your a teacher, and turning to homeschooling?

Quoting Bluecalm:

I didn't make an appointment and she just said sometime before school ends. What's really crazy is I am retiring after teaching for 30 years. So it's kind of insulting that she thinks I can't handle educating my son after educating 1000+ kids.

Quoting Knightquester:

I wouldn't do a meeting with her as it's a waste of time.  It's her chance to talk you into not homeschooling or into doing it her way.  I'm sorry you've got the nosey type of teacher for your son, when I pulled my children out I was told how wonderful they would do and what a positive experience it would be by their past teachers.

I'm not the type to go to pointless meetings and wasting the time of all involved, and I would've probably said it just that way when the teacher cornered me.

If you have already got an appointment planned with her I'd just call the schools office during the school day and leave a message for your sons teacher that you're canceling the meeting as it's not necessary, or write a note to send to school with your son stating such but not going into detail, as again details aren't necessary.

When she corners or asks you again, which I'm sure will happen I would just inform her that although you're grateful your son has had a wonderful school year with her, you're not inclined to involve her in your son's future schooling as he is moving onto other grades and other things that do not involve her.

If she is insistent then you can let her know she has no right to question your decisions on your sons schooling and if she wishes continue harassing you on the matter then maybe it would be best you involve the principle and school board.

edelweiss23
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:13 AM
I find it funny that whenever we mention we homeschool, the first thing that ask is "how do you socialize your kids"

We have play groups, we go to the library, we are always having field trips with other families, music groups, sports.

My children are socially flourishing with multiple age groups.
Mommynay2
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Hi, I went through that. I live in Central Falls, Rhode Island. My city is 1 mile long, the smallest city here. I looked up the laws to be able to homeschool my daughter. When I said it, I had an unofficial meeting with the former principal in Destinay's school. Which wasn't required, but I did it anyway. She tried to convince me not to. Then after that she set up the meeting with the superintendent of Central Falls school district, that was required, she was there, I gave them what was required, and told them how I planned to teach her and got the approval. I didn't have to tell them how I planned to teach her, but I did. Definitely check with the law in your area. If you stick by your beliefs, submit what is legally required, I think you should be fine.
buzymom93
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:31 PM

seems very intrusive to me too.. and i personally wouldn't meet with her

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I would say in an overly sweet tone "aw, thanks for your concern, but we've got it!"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN