Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My son's ps teacher wants a conference about homeschooling

Posted by   + Show Post
D is finishing up his Kindergarten year and the teacher asked for a conference. She's doing meetings with all the parents regarding placement for next year, so I said no, it wasn't necessary since he is going to be homeschooled. She cornered me at the Easter party today to say she knew he wouldn't be in ps, but she wants to discuss with me my hs plans and hear what she thinks he needs to be doing, not just academically but socially. I was pretty taken aback. It's one thing for her to tell me what levels he's on, but to want to know all the details about me homeschooling seems intrusive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Replies (31-40):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:10 PM

She's asking for a conference; not requiring it.

Quoting usmom3:

She is a representative of the school district because she is an employee of it & there for has no legal rights to question you about homeschooling your child. The way the law is written & the way I understand it, is that no one can question your method or intent without accusing you of doing something wrong & they have to have proof that you have done something wrong to be accusing you which would validate their questioning of you. There for she is violating your rights as a homeschooler & that is an offenceto you & a violation of the homeschool laws. 

I hope that all made sense. 

Quoting Bluecalm:

How is it written in Tx that says that's illegal?

Quoting usmom3:

If you lived in Texas she would be breaking the law. She might be breaking it still depending on the way your state laws are written.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

happycells
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Absolutely intrusive and none of her business.  I would take that up with the principal immediately.  I would also kindly speak to her in private or send her an email cc'd to the principal stating how she approached you was not appropriate and mere harrassment.  And, it's not up to her to give guidance on how to raise your child and it's your right to school him at home.  Just go file your PSA, ask for school records and take him out NOW! By those comments to you, you have no clue what she is telling your child during the day.  Way to go for homeschooling.  We just took our 5th grader out of ps to homeschool and regret not doing it sooner.  I'm sorry but the pathethic comment people make about lack of socializing is absurd.  I'm more concerned about my child's education that socializing......Good luck with this one, you have me in your court ;)  Christie

MessedUpMama
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:52 PM

When I let DS's teacher know that he would be going to the Virtual School rather than the school he was in at the time, she smiled and then continued to get things set up for next year, including transportation,  "Just in case you change your mind." LOL She didn't even ask how he would be socialized without school, because she assumed that I'd be overwhelmed by having him home so much more.

I'm hoping to move to traditional home-school in a year or two. DH is against it, because he thinks I'll be easily manipulated by the kids and that I won't be able to teach them what they need to know and they won't be able to pass tests to get into a good college. But he has no worries about their being socialized properly.

all2gethernow
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:55 PM
I'd say, "Thanks for your concern, but I got this." And leave it there.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Y'all are way nicer than me. The nicest answer I could come up with is "It's none of your business, I will pass on the meeting." and walk off.... What I really want to do is tell her  HELL NO and where to stuff any "helpful materials" she might try to pass on to me. LOL

LooneyLovegood
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughters school did the same thing to me, only I had a table full of people nipping at my heels. I did my research and brought a stack of paper with answers to anything I thought they would throw at me.
By the time I was done with them, not one challenged me on the subject again. We finished the school year out and she never returned.
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:32 PM
I got his report card today and she marked him as N for a bunch of stuff he knows and gets correct on his papers. Then she said he would benefit from a small group setting for academic work to give him the help he needs. In other words, she thinks he belongs in Resource.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snazzylady1
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:16 AM

I agree, I think that the only thing she should be discussing with you is what level your child is on so that you can know for when you start homeschooling. 

Tonya Simmons

smartandsnazzykids.com

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Quoting Bluecalm:

I got his report card today and she marked him as N for a bunch of stuff he knows and gets correct on his papers. Then she said he would benefit from a small group setting for academic work to give him the help he needs. In other words, she thinks he belongs in Resource.

Ahh, so the claws come out. LOL. What a transparent witch! She's not working to dispel any stereotypes. Ignore her crap or call her on it. Personally, I would never have told her about my intent to HS, but had she discovered it somehow, I'd be up in her boss's office like stink on a hog until they stopped her retaliation bs. Why she's taking it personally that you want to HS is her sick business, but she does NOT need to take it out on your son and his grades. Pffft! This is the particular type of personality disorder of PS teachers that I had to endure for the entirety of my academic career. It made me resentful and sad about attending school. Counterproductive to say the least, if they want kids in school as much as they say.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I think she is trying to scare you out of homeschooling. I might talk to the principle if you know the report card is bs. That is wrong for her to do.

Quoting Bluecalm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN