Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What's so bad about common core?

What's so bad about common core? Maybe I'm showing my ignorance here but can someone please explain it to me? When I think of there being national standards for education across state lines I do see a benefit. If my child is in a public school and we move across the country in the middle of the year, at least they will be learning the same material right? Or is what's happening totally different?

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Replies (11-20):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:28 PM
3 moms liked this

I may be wrong, but I think its actually unConstitutional for federal govt to even be involved in public schooling. Thats a state and local issue. So for the federal government to even be suggesting this and making funding dependent on it is,to me, a gross violation of our state's rights. My reasons for homeschooling is mainly religious, but also because I am increasingly mistrustful of my government. Abuse of power is rampant and I am not ok with that level of involvement in mine or my child's life. So no, CCS is not a good thing. I'm not one of those conspiracy theorist nut jobs, but I don't just blindly trust that my government has my best interests at heart.

wunderwifey
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:38 PM
2 moms liked this
This exactly. The Feds need to keep their paws away from state powers. They can't even handle the stuff their suppose to be handling. What makes them think they can take on addditional responsibilities?!

Quoting Leissaintexas:

I may be wrong, but I think its actually unConstitutional for federal govt to even be involved in public schooling. Thats a state and local issue. So for the federal government to even be suggesting this and making funding dependent on it is,to me, a gross violation of our state's rights. My reasons for homeschooling is mainly religious, but also because I am increasingly mistrustful of my government. Abuse of power is rampant and I am not ok with that level of involvement in mine or my child's life. So no, CCS is not a good thing. I'm not one of those conspiracy theorist nut jobs, but I don't just blindly trust that my government has my best interests at heart.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gacgbaker
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I heard someone say they don't like them because it kinda 'dumbs down' the standards for kids in most places.  A lot of states will exceed them, but then what is the point, really?  The ones that hit the minimum (or the CCS) will have kids that are still behind.  I don't really know much about them myself to judge on if they are a good thing or not- but they don't sound like a great thing from what I have heard.  

gacgbaker
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Good points!  

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I have the same issues as those above.  The Feds should keep out of it.  If states and districts are free to exceed the cores then what's the point of having them anyway? And if they are not free to exceed the cores then we wil become even more behind the students in other countries, because these cores fall way behind most of the schools around us. And we live in back-woods rural Pennsylvania where teachers and education are not a big priority.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I actually like the idea of common core on paper, but not in practice. WHy? Not all kids learn the same. You can not teach the same thing, in the same order and manner for inner city Manhattan as you would for Greenwich CT. So while I love standard work on the whole, I do think a lot of education needs to be individualized for the independant needs of each student - which often differ due to socio-economic backgrounds. Would common core eliminate these differences? No, I don't think so, which would make it as ineffective as NCLB.

Angela4boys
by Angela on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:22 PM
3 moms liked this
What I don't like is, amongst other things about it, but what truly disturbs me, is how our kids are being primed to think that redistribution of wealth is normal. That communism is idealistic. Our kids are future voters, I'm scared these seeds are being planted. I'm disturbed that my peers don't see a problem with our rights being stripped, the constitution being rewritten without a vote...but now changing curriculum and planting these seeds at such a tender age...yikes! I want this government to stay out of my kids heads!
romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 7:28 PM
3 moms liked this

I remember when the U.S. had the best education in the world (and our farmers fed the world).  But that was when teachers and parents had more control over the schools and curriculum.  Bureaucrats did not run things at a Federal or State level like they do now.  Heck even the lunches were fabulous.  They were prepared from scratch by local moms...not controlled by a remote dietitian.  

Finland now has the best education in they world, and guess what....they are doing many of the same things the U.S. use to do. 

• Teachers are empowered to "do what ever it takes to help the individual  child learn."   (now we have to home school to do that)
  • Formal education does not begin until the child is 7 years of age
  • Testing is not the major measure of learning
  • Play is a big part of teaching

Why Finland Schools Are So Successful

snazzylady1
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Personnally,  I would'nt put too much focus on Common Core Standards.  It will be just like everything else in education, it will come and then it will go.   I can understand why so many parents homeschool.  The freedom of just being able to teach.  When I entered the field of teaching back in 1995, that was exactly what it was just teaching.  Now its standards then more revised standards that they call Common Core.  Just keep teaching and have fun!

Tonya Simmons

smartandsnazzykids.com

smartandsnazzykids.com

BramblePatch
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:09 AM
4 moms liked this
Common Core is absolutely unconstitutional. I do not need another reason to dislike it. And for what its worth, wexwill NOT use any CC aligned curriculum in this house. Period.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN