Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What's so bad about common core?

What's so bad about common core? Maybe I'm showing my ignorance here but can someone please explain it to me? When I think of there being national standards for education across state lines I do see a benefit. If my child is in a public school and we move across the country in the middle of the year, at least they will be learning the same material right? Or is what's happening totally different?

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Replies (31-34):
romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2013 at 6:55 PM

It is I who should thank you for providing the information.  I did not know about that site until you pointed it out.  Thank you Kckmom3

Quoting kckmom3:

Thank you!

Quoting romacox:

Since my computer does allow this, I put a clickable link to it for everyone's convenience. 

TruthInAmericanEducation.com

Quoting kckmom3:

I found a site called Truth In American Education not too long ago that has some info about Common Core. Sorry my computer won't let me make it "clicky".

kckmom3
by on Aug. 11, 2013 at 6:57 PM
1 mom liked this

You're welcome smile mini

Quoting romacox:

It is I who should thank you for providing the information.  I did not know about that site until you pointed it out.  Thank you Kckmom3

Quoting kckmom3:

Thank you!

Quoting romacox:

Since my computer does allow this, I put a clickable link to it for everyone's convenience. 

TruthInAmericanEducation.com

Quoting kckmom3:

I found a site called Truth In American Education not too long ago that has some info about Common Core. Sorry my computer won't let me make it "clicky".

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 11, 2013 at 7:25 PM
2 moms liked this
It is my opinion that it does not matter what name the government puts on their program, it is still a negative program that I will not have anything to do with at any time now or n the future. I will never understand why anyone would be happy with their child's education being just like the next guy's education. What if that next guy's education is above the norm? Then that child has to stay at pace with someone whose educational level keeps him from moving on. Then he gets bored and quits trying to succeed and decides doing better is just not worth it and he was the next guy who invented the solution for cancer?! But that solution never got invented because that guy quit succeeding! What if it were the guy who was below educational level but wants to apply himself and is not allowed because he has to be on an educational pace with the guy who is the middle pace and doesn't do more than that so this below average guy decides blah, who cares I quit trying to do better and he was the one who would have been President in his future and would have been one if the best we ever had but that no longer will happen because this guy was made to stay below educational pace and therefore doesn't try and made the extra effort.

Why in the world would we want to hold back our future? Why would we not try to be our best? To me that is just unthinkable!
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this

That's funny, I had the exact opposite experience you did.  We moved from TX to ME and then to VA.  I was doing well in TX; um, not really sure what in the devil happened in ME; by the time I got to VA, I was remedial.  :(

As to the point of states being allowed to exceed.  I think, no matter what, when you put standards out there, everyone should be free to exceed.  Those minimums put out there, they're merely to put forth to states who aren't there, that those are the expectations.  Move yourself beyond where you are, to at least this point.  These aren't expectations of greatness, these are expectations of minimums.  Set forth by govvies who haven't taught (if they ever did) in a VERY long time.  So while I appreciate that people at the helm want to improve things and have things moving in an awesome direction, I don't think they get that it happens more effectively at a lower level.  And what's awesome for you may not be awesome for me.  We watched Won't Back Down the other day about a mother fighting for educational reform for her kid.  Great movie, I really enjoyed it.

Quoting QueenCreole313:

I've reviewed the common core website. I just don't see the big deal. Honestly, I think my state exceeds them already. I think most homeschoolers would exceed those standards as well. It's not very difficult in my oppinion. 

I guess I'm biased because of my life experience. I moved from a state in the south with the lowest educational standards and performance to a northern state with a totally different standar. It was hard! 

Oh, the states are still free to teach how they want and choose their curriculum. Just the goals are becoming more consistent. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN