Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Just Joined...

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:35 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hi guys! I'm new here, so forgive me if I ask questions that have been asked before. I'm from NJ (urban school district) and I'm the mother of a wonderful first grade girl. I'm considering homeschooling my daughter for Sept. How do I start the process? What should I know? Why did you choose to home school and how did your dh/so feel about this? Thanks.

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Hiya!

First you need to look up your state laws (check out HSLDA for this). Make sure you can do what is needed as per those laws.

Then decide if you want a secular, christian/protestant, or christian/catholic curriculum.

Peg your child's learning style and your teaching style.

Decide your budget for curriculum.

Order.

Do it!!! Lol.

Your other questions...

My husband is a huge supporter. I wouldn't do this otherwise. I am a firm believe that having one parent who isn't supportive of this is a recipe for disaster in the long run.

We decided to homeschool for many reasons; faith, safety, academics (in no particular order).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

RockEducation
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Welcome to the group. Definitely know your state laws.  New Jersey Department of Education or hslda.org. Read some books about homeschooling. There are tons of them. Home Learning Year by Year is an excellent resource. Homeschooling For Dummies and The Well-Trained Mind are both good.

We are secular homeschoolers. We began hs due to bullying and social problems. My DH was not really on board when I removed my DD. We just started our fourth year and he now says that he knows our child is getting a superior education.welcome

URHonor
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Great thanks!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Welcome to the group!!  :)

Like the PP have said knowing your laws is an important first step.  Check outyour public library for some books on homeschooling.  

I decided to start hsing bc I was unhappy with our local ps.  My dd was having to deal with bullying daily, large classrooms, and not enough staff.  It just made sense for us.  This is our 5th year and we are loving it.  

DG123
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Hi!  I'm new to this group as well.  Definitely check with your state laws, first.  I began homeschooling my ds because he was academically behind, socially delayed, with some sensory processing issues, yet he still did not qualify for special education services and was continuing to be promoted, grade after grade. It was heartbreaking.  He endured a lot of bullying, as well.  We are working on filling in the knowledge gaps progressing at a pace that benefits him and he is thriving.  He actually likes learning again!  My husband was completely on board.  

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Welcome URHonor.  Good advice above.   State laws is the place to start.  I recommend people check with their Home School State Association.  Their websites usually have the State laws, they usually provide a regional director (in the event your County has added home school restrictions), support groups, and more.

New Jersey Home School Association (State Laws)  Support and Activity Groups

Following are two more very helpful (free) web pages

How To Home School

How To Home school (more detailed...gives you the different methods used by home educators)

welcome to cafemom

URHonor
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:27 AM

I appreciate the information. bow down

QueenCreole313
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome! Congrats on your choice. Well, to answer your questions, I chose to hs because I have a twice-exceptional child who was falling through the cracks in both public and private schools. It was a last resort to me, because we didn't know much about it. My only wish is that we would have started sooner. It has been the best decision ever! Good luck! OH, my DH was not thrilled at first but he trusts me and has seen the fruits of our labor. 

jeweldragons
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Check out your state laws first.  Depending on your school district you may or may not have to send in a letter of intent along with an outline of what you plan on teaching your child during the year.

Decide on the curriculum you want.  There is secular or religious. 

Children have mutiple intelligences.  They also tend to learn in usually one of three ways: Auditory, Visual, or Kinesthetic.  Pay attention to how your child learns best and work with them.  Rememebr that homeschooling isn't public or private school.  Go at your child's pace.  Ask your children if they have anything they want to learn for the year. 

What you decide for curriculum may change as you grow with your child and what works best for them.  Make sure to utilize your library and see if there are any co-ops or homeschooling groups locally you can join for help if need be.  Once you decide on a curriculum then order.  Remember the beauty of homeschool is that you can take a break if need be.

Other questions:

My husband is from the Middle East.  There they have never heard of homeschool before.  It's pretty much something only expriate women do.  I am TTC at the moment but plan on homeschooling until at least Kindergarten.  I want to homeschool at least until 4th grade but am not sure yet. My husband is okay with the homeschooling until Kindergarten (Pre-K and K don't technically exist in the Middle East) but I have not really discussed yet about homeschooling further than that.

Our family loves to travel.  For us it would be easier to travel places and take homework with us then having to wait for the schools mandatory breaks to go on vacation.  Our family is not traditional so I don't want our future children picked on for that.  I do not agree with the mandatory state testing done in American schools.  To me all this 'testing' hurts students and teachers as teachers can no longer be creative in their lesson plans and can no longer teach while students are no longer learning.  Heck most schools in our country do not bother to see play as important for early chlidhood grades (birth to 3rd grade).  I do not want our future children to grow up hating leanring as I did when I was in school.  I want them to be able to experience the world around them and to enjoy learning.  Partly the reason for me wanting to homeschoolis also for faith-I know that if our future children were sent to public schools in U.S. then they'd face issues for our faith and would be exposed to things that go against our religion and personal beliefs.  One thing I have read about my husband's area of the world is that some kids born of American mothers are often bullied by the other children for that and I do not want our future children to be bullied because I'm a different nationality then their father.  If for whatever reason we lived in the States and they went to public school it would be impossible to control their dietary needs (due to us being Muslims we cannot consume pork and you would not believe the things laden with pork that are hidden).  Also some schools are becoming ridiculous with bringing in packed lunches as they even impose restrictions on that.

oredeb
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this

welcome urhonor!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN